NEWS

Drain on overcast direct damage spells

• 5 Replies

Nerhesi

• Newb
« on: <07-19-12/1058:28> »
Part question, part complaint.

I must have completely missed the part about drain being increased by net hits on a Direct Damage spell - was this recent errata?

So, I cast a Force 12 Manabolt (overcast, my magic is 6), and I spend edge before the roll as well (edge 5). So between my power focus+magic+spellcasting+edge, lets say I get 15  hits. I believe this is allowed because I spent edge, so rerolled 6s and edge dice can take it above the Force = limit # hits rule.

My target's opposed test garners only 3 hits. Total net hits of 12. So my target takes 24 body levels of damage (Easily killing even a Great Dragon if he/she rolled such a crappy opposed resist roll).

So far so good? Now - according to the third paragraph of page 204 in the 20th anniversary core rule book, I have to soak Drain (force / 2) PLUS 12?!?!? Do I seriously have to soak 18 physical? Im laughing/crying as I'm typing this.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-19-12/1106:00> »
It got snuck in, then later stealth errata'd to an optional rule. Its current status is optional rule. It's also really stupid; the way you deal with it is overcasting to the max and dropping excess net hits.

Nerhesi

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <07-19-12/1111:08> »
Thank god - silly question though, where can I find an errata section on each book? I'm looking at the errata boards but I'm slightly confused as to where the errata is for 20th anniversary book, and street magic and so on.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-19-12/1145:18> »
http://www.shadowrun4.com/wp-content/uploads/Downloads/SR4A_changes.pdf states that it's supposed to be a new optional mechanic. AFAIK there was never an official errata here. They snuck it into SR4A, a bunch of people pointed out it was a terrible idea and QQ'd, and the next printing said it was optional; that's why it's called a "stealth errata."

Glorthoron

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <07-19-12/1328:35> »
The other thing is, even if you are using the original rule (before they turned it into an optional rule), they used the word "may" in regards to extra hits.  So a mage casting the spell would not necessarily have to use those extra successes to do more damage.
"It's not enough to complain.  You have to want to be part of the solution."

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-19-12/1331:37> »
There is that, but that bulldrek rule only encourages max level overcasting without hits, as it's better for the character to do that than to cast more conservatively and use extra hits to increase the damage.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen