NEWS

Droned Cyberarm

• 11 Replies

Tsuarok

• Chummer
« on: <07-11-12/1249:08> »
Is there any way within the ruleset that could let you give your cyberarm a pilot rating, allowing it to function independently?

redwolf

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <07-11-12/1422:52> »
if you got modular hand and you put propulsion system and some pilot yep afik
yes i'm red and it's not blood, and no i'm no comy i'm just red, so are you going for that pis' or going away!!!

Tsuarok

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <07-11-12/1521:12> »
After doing some reading into hacking cyberware, it seems like it should require nothing more than installing the correct pilot program and giving it permission.

Tsuarok

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <07-11-12/1525:31> »

Not quite what I had in mind.  More having a left arm that can go into drone mode while still attached to the body, firing weapons from it's own dice pool and using it's own initiative, etc.

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #4 on: <07-11-12/1850:04> »
None i know about, and i have a pet project that could make use of such.
Want to see my flash new jacket?

solkan

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <07-14-12/1300:55> »

Not quite what I had in mind.  More having a left arm that can go into drone mode while still attached to the body, firing weapons from it's own dice pool and using it's own initiative, etc.

For starters, you would have to pay for the node that you would be installing in the limb.  Whether it's a commlink, an autonomous drone system, or whatever, those System, Response, Body and other rating points aren't free.  And you would have to pay for them instead of trying to argue that the regular cyberlimb has to have default values because none of that functionality is needed in, and would actually be detrimental to, the regular functioning of a cyberlimb.  (And I would expect that you're looking at a custom pilot program, especially if you've done anything cute to your cyberlimb, just as an excuse to make you pay extra for it.    "You want a pilot program for a what?!?!  I heard a story about a crazy guy that did that once..."   ;) )

Then you're going to need to arrange for sensors for that cyberlimb.  You'll get touch and temperature for free, but touch won't do you much good for firing a gun.

And, finally, that gun's going to think you're a huge jerk for constantly spoiling its shots, and you're going to hate it for occasionally blocking yours.  One person in control of both of his arms can coordinate which way he's facing to shoot two different targets.  If your left arm was moving on its own choosing targets, it's not going to be coordinating with you about which way you need to be facing.  (Do you want to pay extra for your own personal TacNet so that you and your arm stay coordinated?  It would be a start.)  I would say that negative modifiers for things like recoil would bleed over from you to your arm, and vice versa.

Of course, you'd still get the dice pool modifiers to the character itself for losing the use of the cyberlimb while the drone was in control of it.

That's pretty much just my attempt to apply common sense and the rules to the situation.

Tsuarok

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <07-14-12/1503:43> »

For starters, you would have to pay for the node that you would be installing in the limb.  Whether it's a commlink, an autonomous drone system, or whatever, those System, Response, Body and other rating points aren't free.  And you would have to pay for them instead of trying to argue that the regular cyberlimb has to have default values because none of that functionality is needed in, and would actually be detrimental to, the regular functioning of a cyberlimb.  (And I would expect that you're looking at a custom pilot program, especially if you've done anything cute to your cyberlimb, just as an excuse to make you pay extra for it.    "You want a pilot program for a what?!?!  I heard a story about a crazy guy that did that once..."   ;) )

Then you're going to need to arrange for sensors for that cyberlimb.  You'll get touch and temperature for free, but touch won't do you much good for firing a gun.

And, finally, that gun's going to think you're a huge jerk for constantly spoiling its shots, and you're going to hate it for occasionally blocking yours.  One person in control of both of his arms can coordinate which way he's facing to shoot two different targets.  If your left arm was moving on its own choosing targets, it's not going to be coordinating with you about which way you need to be facing.  (Do you want to pay extra for your own personal TacNet so that you and your arm stay coordinated?  It would be a start.)  I would say that negative modifiers for things like recoil would bleed over from you to your arm, and vice versa.

Of course, you'd still get the dice pool modifiers to the character itself for losing the use of the cyberlimb while the drone was in control of it.

That's pretty much just my attempt to apply common sense and the rules to the situation.

Most of these sound good.  I figure that with a simrig and a custom program you could prevent the getting in each others way (like a gyro link [from vehicle mods]).  A Tacnet might also work.  And would be a good idea in any case.  All the programming would likely be custom, so either done yourself or commissioned.

solkan

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <07-14-12/1511:13> »
One last thing, though.

Don't forget that commanding your rigged arm to fire at someone would require use of the Issuing Command action.  So in a lot of cases, the first initiative pass will be you telling the arm what to do.  Once you do that, the arm will go off and do what you told it to do.

I would anticipate opportunities for everything to horribly wrong if you tried to give the arm advance orders before an encounter.  Imagine a contact getting a bit jumpy, and the drone soft going "Directive 10, hostile detected!  Opening fire!" and jumping the gun, so to speak.  >:-)

Either way, seems like an awful lot of work just to get a drone bolted to your shoulder. 
Edit:  I typed that, stood up, and realized what I had typed.  If you just kept the arm unmodified and bolted a drone to your shoulder, you'd still have regular use of your cyberarm.  That's pretty much what you're giving up, though.
« Last Edit: <07-14-12/1519:40> by solkan »

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #8 on: <07-14-12/1839:24> »
An autonomos turrer attached to your cyberarm or leg? That would be cool. Make buying clothes a bummer though.

Tsuarok

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <07-15-12/0820:10> »
One last thing, though.

Don't forget that commanding your rigged arm to fire at someone would require use of the Issuing Command action.  So in a lot of cases, the first initiative pass will be you telling the arm what to do.  Once you do that, the arm will go off and do what you told it to do.

I would anticipate opportunities for everything to horribly wrong if you tried to give the arm advance orders before an encounter.  Imagine a contact getting a bit jumpy, and the drone soft going "Directive 10, hostile detected!  Opening fire!" and jumping the gun, so to speak.  >:-)

Either way, seems like an awful lot of work just to get a drone bolted to your shoulder. 
Edit:  I typed that, stood up, and realized what I had typed.  If you just kept the arm unmodified and bolted a drone to your shoulder, you'd still have regular use of your cyberarm.  That's pretty much what you're giving up, though.

I expect that a general command of "fire at anything I'm firing at" would be fine.

redwolf

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <07-15-12/0913:55> »
then you link it to your smart gun to do that .but then way drone it?
yes i'm red and it's not blood, and no i'm no comy i'm just red, so are you going for that pis' or going away!!!

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #11 on: <07-15-12/1136:50> »
An autonomos turrer attached to your cyberarm or leg? That would be cool. Make buying clothes a bummer though.
Augmentation have a couple of those. Sadly they are non-removable.
Want to see my flash new jacket?