NEWS

Rules and the people who abuse them

• 40 Replies

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <07-11-12/1942:08> »
I just got tired of all the "boot him" comments from people who don't even know the guy. Though the only thing that is anywhere near that bad in my opinion is the person who is such an a$$hole that if someone tries to drive things forward themselves the "a$$hole" just raises their voice to a higher volume so only their "story driving" is heard.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <07-11-12/2059:20> »
Again you sound like you've got your share of baggage. Hermes original comment is he's got a player that's powergaming so badly he's driving people out of the game and he's worried about it continuing to happen. I stand by the "talk then boot" response because it's really the only rational thing to do as a GM when the person you don't like is causing the people you want to keep to leave.
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #32 on: <07-11-12/2123:32> »
I just got tired of all the "boot him" comments from people who don't even know the guy. Though the only thing that is anywhere near that bad in my opinion is the person who is such an a$$hole that if someone tries to drive things forward themselves the "a$$hole" just raises their voice to a higher volume so only their "story driving" is heard.
I'm suggesting "boot him" because the alternative being suggested is "kill him over and over again, for the lulz, until he boots himself."  Read Hermes' posts and it certainly sounds like his mind is made up that the guy isn't fitting in, and that Hermes is taking it kind of personally -- seriously, dude's using language like "usurp" and "abusive" and "mockery" -- so it sounds like he's got absolutely no plans of keeping the dude in the campaign.  Since he wants the guy out, what seems to be left is deciding how to do it.

And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making.

Cass100199

• Chummer
  • Truth hurts only if you're a dumba**.
« Reply #33 on: <07-11-12/2131:21> »
And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making.

Some people deserve mockery.
You can't tell me what toys I can play with.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #34 on: <07-11-12/2136:58> »
Me too... endless muder is hard to ... oh wait... yeah, talking seems the way to go.  T ;D

Without knowing the context, the details, the actual people involved, the question appears to be :
"how do I remove player x from my game".  So, without making judgement calls on Hermies or Player X, talking would be the most mature approach to the issue....

Or we could get some kicks about how to repeatably kill some guys character? :)

Eitherway, I'm good  8)
« Last Edit: <07-11-12/2248:52> by Black »
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Daeryth

• Newb
« Reply #35 on: <07-11-12/2211:48> »
The group I play in will sometimes take a week off to discuss the current state of the campaign when the main GM feels things are threatening to go way off the rails.  The GM leads the discussion and fires off what he sees as the problems, and from that we can 'check' each other as players rather than having it continue to spill over into our game time among the characters. 

That being said, I am playing with a fairly old group of players (late 30's and up) and our issues fall into the category of players losing focus on the game and dragging the story down rather than outright disruption of the game.  In the end though, if the problem player is a friend, I think it might help to clear the air publicly rather than conspiring.

Just my 2 nuyen...
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

- Peter Gibbons

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #36 on: <07-11-12/2216:57> »
and suddenly i feel like an ass for GMing Paranoia, kill em, and kill em a lot. (but then that's the theme)

but overall, i would hope to be grownup enough to talk to the player offline and maybe get them to step into line with the rest of the players.

not really saying it would actually play out that way, cuz sometimes repeated death is just fun.
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

Black

• Ace Runner
« Reply #37 on: <07-11-12/2252:03> »
Paranio rocks, particularly at conventons. :)

Going back to kicks, maybe run a ground hog day type mission, and kills his character 1001 different ways, with the day repeating and repeating... that way you dont waste time making new character sheets and you still get to kill his character again and again!  oohhhh Evil Gm heaven....

I think there was a great supernatural episode where they did this.  Inspirational stuff.
Perception molds reality

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #38 on: <07-12-12/0101:06> »
What is rules abuse?

???

Jaffer

• Newb
« Reply #39 on: <07-12-12/0242:00> »
I for one would advocate against kicking the player untill you're left with no other option.

I will admit that I am a power gamer / munchkin / min-maxer / etc...
I have had both GM's of the 4 games I play come to me out of game and ask me to tone it down.

In at least one of the games (from what I have been told) players were ready to leave because of me.

I am happy to say that after the GM's sat me down and told me flat that I could change, or I could leave, I have improved my game and am getting allong well with other players again.

If you can keep players like that around, they can help (both the party and the GM) with their knowledge of the rules.  In some cases one of my GM's has asked me to confirm his rulings.

One other thing you can do with the player, is use his characters against him.  Let him know that if the character is too powerful, it'll become an NPC to be run by the GM, that'll change his ideas, or at least built weaknesses that you would be able to exploit.

One other thing that one of my GM's has done, is have me design NPC's from scratch.
He said that there are no rules appart from the books, and I can powergame NPC's to my hearts content, the catch, no all these NPC's are hostile, it may be used as the doc wagon team to rescue the party...

Just some thoughts and a vote to not kick them unless it's the only option.

Thankyou,
~Jaffer
« Last Edit: <07-12-12/0420:29> by Jaffer »

Black

• Ace Runner
« Reply #40 on: <07-12-12/0438:03> »
I for one would advocate against kicking the player untill you're left with no other option.

I will admit that I am a power gamer / munchkin / min-maxer / etc...
I have had both GS's of the 4 games I play come to me out of game and ask me to tone it down.

In at least one of the games (from what I have been told) players were ready to leave because of me.

I am happy to say that after the GM's sat me down and told me flat that I could change, or I could leave, I have improved my game and am getting allong well with other players again.

If you can keep players like that around, they can help (both the party and the GM) with their knowledge of the rules.  In some cases one of my GM's has asked me to confirm his rulings.

One other thing you can do with the player, is use his characters against him.  Let him know that if the character is too powerful, it'll become an NPC to be run by the GM, that'll change his ideas, or at least built weaknesses that you would be able to exploit.

One other thing that one of my GM's has done, is have me design NPC's from scratch.
He said that there are no rules appart from the books, and I can powergame NPC's to my hearts content, the catch, no all these NPC's are hostile, it may be used as the doc wagon team to rescue the party...

Just some thoughts and a vote to not kick them unless it's the only option.

Thankyou,
~Jaffer

Jaffer, your too harsh on yourself.  Your style of character creation just leads to towards these very focused outcomes.  Interestingly, you do write up very good character backgrounds, but often the play of the character which can lead to concerns.

In general, a player, at least in my opinion and in my games, needs to consider the following:
- let ll players have there chance to shine.  When someone else has the spotlight, give them some space.
- role play the character and give it some personality.  Blood thirsty killer, is generally not very interesting.  When blood thirsty killer is played across two allegedly separate characters, it gets very boring.  Ps. Personality is vampire level angst , it just means have some character traits and perhaps a story and background.
- avoid talking about your character's awesome stats and how dice you roll.  I'm not playing a wargame, I'm playing a role playing game.  Impress me with your character's Character.
- don't talk about other games etc, during the shadowrun game.  Before, after and during breaks, cool.  Middle of combat side conversations on WOW? Not cool.
- don't fret the rules.  It's not a versus type game.  The gm isn't out to get you and fudging the rules to keep things moving? Cool in my book.
- it's a team game. Work with your teammates, enhance each others game.
- communicate, talk with each other.  No use going home feeling unhappy about something.  No one wants that.
- have fun.  It's the number one rule  :)
Perception molds reality