NEWS

What bad guys do you want to see more of?

• 48 Replies

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <06-28-12/1813:28> »
I wanna see more of Horizon and just what they're doing with technomancers, myself, given their PR campaign in favor of them. There's gotta be something there...

You should maybe check out Twilight Horizon...
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <06-28-12/1847:19> »
I wanna see more of Horizon and just what they're doing with technomancers, myself, given their PR campaign in favor of them. There's gotta be something there...

I want to know why it's so quiet at Renraku lately, too. And I'd like to see more dragons; we've got a war brewin' between metahuman and dracoforms, let's see some more of that!

And finally... I want to see a bit more of those horror cameos, possibly mixed with bugs and shedim.

Yeah, you'll be wanting to checkout Twilight Horizon. Has a lot of stuff about Horizonand Technomancers in there.

(Also, a cool chapter on Sim stuff. *plugplug*)

Renraku has been quiet, tho. I think the last thing of note involving them was Netcat and Pistons springing Puck with some'runner help. NeoNET has been stomping them in the face in terms of the wireless matrix, and they still suffer from Deus issues.

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #17 on: <06-28-12/1908:22> »
I'd like to see more racists/Humanis policlub. Maybe I'm missing them, but I've read many SR novels and I can't recall at this moment ever seeing Humanis goons in there. (At least officially, I'm pretty sure Changeling had some racists in it.

I'd like to see more organleggers as well.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #18 on: <06-28-12/1917:04> »
Running a custom version of dna doa adventure at the moment with alamos 20k thugs. I also thought the current season iof missions had a bit of the old haters
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #19 on: <06-28-12/2056:04> »
Renraku has been quiet, tho. I think the last thing of note involving them was Netcat and Pistons springing Puck with some'runner help. NeoNET has been stomping them in the face in terms of the wireless matrix, and they still suffer from Deus issues.
That was a MCT facility Puck was sprung from. Literally, all I've seen of Renraku lately is they being the Johnson to plant a spy in NeoNET's Project Imago. Nothing Renraku specific about the run, it would go the same if it was any other of the megas. Hell, the most telling line on Renraku in recent books is from Corporate Intrigue:
To those in the know, the following words are enough to make your heart feel like a chunk of black slush: “Things have been kind of quiet in Renraku lately.”
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <06-28-12/2341:50> »
That was a MCT facility Puck was sprung from.

D'oh!
I knew that.
*sigh*

Literally, all I've seen of Renraku lately is they being the Johnson to plant a spy in NeoNET's Project Imago. Nothing Renraku specific about the run, it would go the same if it was any other of the megas. Hell, the most telling line on Renraku in recent books is from Corporate Intrigue:
To those in the know, the following words are enough to make your heart feel like a chunk of black slush: “Things have been kind of quiet in Renraku lately.”

Hrm.

You're probably right.

I'll hush for a bit, let more people float thoughts.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <06-29-12/0002:29> »
Hell, the most telling line on Renraku in recent books is from Corporate Intrigue:

That's the one I was thinking of! Yeah...honestly, I have been wondering about Renraku. Was talking with someone RL who is
only familiar with the 4th Edition stuff, and they asked me about that....and then asked "What? Why are you looking at me like
I grew two heads or something?"

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #22 on: <06-29-12/0116:58> »
Well ... I know what happened with Friday in Chicago, but let's face it - toxics are the first real deadly threat that was ever posed in Shadowrun, well before Insect Spirits and the rest.  I have plans and plots in motion which, if picked up, will result in a reminder of just how deadly, dangerous, and really close to home they are.  It is particulary telling that even in this thread, I'm the first one to mention them ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #23 on: <06-29-12/0119:34> »
Toxics are a bit low key at the moment... could be time for a refresh, particular with the Hazard Pay book now out.  Its time Toxics took a stand and protected these last bastions.

Or we could have a SOX mission book?

Eitherway, I'm happy :)
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Ympulse

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <06-29-12/0122:36> »
Well ... I know what happened with Friday in Chicago, but let's face it - toxics are the first real deadly threat that was ever posed in Shadowrun, well before Insect Spirits and the rest.  I have plans and plots in motion which, if picked up, will result in a reminder of just how deadly, dangerous, and really close to home they are.  It is particulary telling that even in this thread, I'm the first one to mention them ...
This might just be ignorance, but my impression of toxics has always been that they're evil for evil's sake, and are trope planeteer-level baddies. Not much to talk abut unless you're directly facing one.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #25 on: <06-29-12/0151:24> »
This might just be ignorance, but my impression of toxics has always been that they're evil for evil's sake, and are trope planeteer-level baddies. Not much to talk abut unless you're directly facing one.

If 'you ----ed up the environment, now I'm going to either a) ---- it up worse for the twisted ----ing power it gives me, or b) ---- all you ----ers up really ----ing bad so that you don't ----ing do it any more' is 'evil for evil's sake', then yeah, I guess.  Me, I think it's your ignorance.  Toxics do what they do because of many, many reasons, unlike most of the other baddies out there in the Shadowrun world.  And 'not much to talk about' ... well, that's sort of what they want.  So they can get on with turning your bedroom into either a pool of petrochemical sludge, or the reincarnation of the Garden of Eden, but without you in it.  One bunch of toxics who managed to co-operate with each other basically enabled Crash 2.0, so ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <06-29-12/0305:08> »
The last toxic of any note to be mentioned was Pobre, I think, when Juan A got blown up.

He's one of the crusader types (Love Gaia or DIE!) rather than the Captain Planet type (Oooh, I just LOVE pollution!)

Ympulse

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <06-29-12/0526:36> »
-snip-
+1 for the explanation. I didn't know much about Toxics to begin with, but now it makes a lot more sense.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #28 on: <06-29-12/0728:30> »
Wyrm is correct. Toxic magicians and Dissonant Otaku were the ones responsible for Crash 2.0. Of course, both were doing things for their own reasons, and both were convinced that they were just using the other, and would dispose of their 'partner' when the job was done, but yes.

Toxics are dangerous not because they are overwhelmingly powerful, but because they are zealots, willing to do anything for the cause. The cause will vary from toxic to toxic, but the combination of magic, and the fact that they are all fragging psychopaths means that they don't have the restraint that most magic-users may have. The ends justify the means. You are with us or you are against us. Think of all the damage your normal eco-terrorist or religious extremist can do, and now add in magic. That is why toxics are dangerous.

Likewise, Dissonant technomancers are basically like toxics of the Matrix. Like toxic magicians, they have their own motivations, but their goals are no less extreme, whatever they are, and they are utterly committed.

But individually, in terms of raw power, a Toxic magician or a Dissonant Technomancer is no more powerful than a regular magician or technomancer of their initiate/submersion grade. What makes them frightening is their madness and conviction.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <06-29-12/1240:21> »
But individually, in terms of raw power, a Toxic magician or a Dissonant Technomancer is no more powerful than a regular magician or technomancer of their initiate/submersion grade. What makes them frightening is their madness and conviction.

I wonder if it is even possible to have someone with as much conviction who is NOT a Toxic/Dissonant? Who believes in their
cause so much that they will do whatever it takes, but is not trying to destroy the world/ecosystem/all life? What is the
difference between "mad" and "differently rational"? What makes one a Toxic Magician as opposed to a Jesuit Battle Mage
with a Convert or Die mentality?