NEWS

Suggested secular Rolemodels

• 1 Replies

Hermes

• Chummer
« on: <06-26-12/0152:15> »
Yet another ork thread, but it doesn't need to be.  I thought about this while writing a short story about Michael Drake, the ork 'face' in my story.  There was some klingon sayings that seemed natural for him to say.  ;D  I so duly wish I were a linguist!

So, top Secular Ork Rolemodels.  Note, this is not a generality and these are specific.

1. Groo the Wanderer/Neil the Ork Barbarian

In the 2010s through the 2070s, Neil the Ork Barbarian would probably become the longest lived ork character in popular Culture.  I would see him primarily as a synthesis of Groo, Dar (the Beastmaster), and Conan in one package.   He would probably be more Groo the Wanderer than Conan, as he would be a knock-off of Conan the Barbarian.  However, having traits in common with Groo, Dar, and Conan; it would be simple to say that the creator took inspiration from these three characters to make Neil.  Although he would not be necessarily be green.

2. Lieutenant Worf

With the degree of treatment that Klingons have been given in ST:TNG, I am not surprised that Orks would seek to emulate them.  The idea of a "Noble Savage" would appeal to the Ork, and the Klingon race would be a natural draw for young ork children.  Especially Lieutenant Worf of the Starship Enterprise - D.

After all he speaks of Honor, Duty, and Loyalty to the Klingon Empire.  The sort of ork children who seek to emulate Worf would probably either be seen at Star Trek conventions when they are older, or are actually celebrated members of the their respective nation's armies.  After all as an ork, why won't you find this appealing?

"If winning is not important, why keep score?"

"To those who are overly cautious, everything is impossible."

"Perhaps today is a good day to die!"  -- I could see this sneak into Or'zet!

Act, and you may eat dinner. Think, and you may be dinner."

"Pity the warrior who slays all his foes."

"If you cannot control yourself, you cannot command others."

3. He-Man

Believe it or not, a lot of Ork Children would probably see He-Man (the old Filmation cartoon) as an example of what a good ork should be like.  Strong, yet intelligent.  He-man uses his strength for Good and for Helping Others, and I would see some ork kids counting him as a personal fictional hero.

4. Wolverine.

Some Orks will try to emulate the X-Man.  Indeed, I can see Marvel introduce Wolverine has having undergone UGE in 2013 or 14; transforming into a ork mutant or troll mutant.  Wolverine would probably be attractive to some Ork kids because he's uncontrolled, and seems to play by his own rules.  On the DC side, Lobo would probably be hailed as an inspiration for Orks.

5. Beast

On the other hand -- Beast, Hank McCoy, would probably be a good character for those who underwent UGE (and in the Year of the Comet -- those who SURGEd into Changelings) as a role model.  Hank McCoy went through UGE or SURGE himself, growing blue hairs and gaining powerful abilities as a result.  He could also be helpful for Trolls at one point, and will probably spawn a comic of his own in 3 years in the Shadowrun universe.

Anyone have any secular role models to suggest for orks, dwarves, elves, and trolls?

The Hulk, there I mentioned him. :)

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-26-12/1315:56> »
There's a little bit about Neil in Twilight Horizon, in that he's having a revival, there are PersonaFix/Skillsoft combinations that allow you to emulate him, that he carries an axe called "Elfsplitter", and a few mroe tidbits. A bit of worry that some Ork kid is going to be chipped up as him, some cop see an Ork with an axe and pop off a shot, and you'll get "Cop kills Ork child!" stories erupting.

This means he's currently a Horizon properly, where he used to belong to Almagamated Studios. AS had written the property off after the previous revival failed in teh wake of Orkxploitation's passing, so Horizon got it for cheap, repackaged it, and give it a big push, what with Gary Cline being an ork himself. Teh commentary tracks write themselves!

"I couldn't believe it when I saw Neil the Ork Barbarian for sale at such a low price. Amalgamated had tried to relaunch him during the Orkxploitation craze, but they were all marketing and no soul. My friends and I grew up watching Neil, wanting to *be* Neil, one of the first positive role models for Ork children in any media source, and when we saw what they'd done to him? It hurt my soul. No, now that I had enough money to buy the rights, I knew that I *had* to do this, that I *had* to bring my hero back to life. If I'd been a better actor ... and in much better shape (chuckle) ... I might have even tried to take the lead role myself. Still, I sat in on the process personally, making certain we had a director who understood the essence, that we had writers who grew up watching the old show, who knew Neil's lines like they knew their own words, and helped scout actors who could do it justcie. Then, I stepped back. No one likes a boss that leans over their shoulder and micro-manages. I'd been there to select the talent, then I put full faith in them to do the jobs that I'd hired them to do. My job was done, so it moved to them ... as it should. The success of the franchise today is due to their work, not mine. At this point, I'm just a fan, same as everyone who buys each sim when it gets released. Which reminds me! Neil the Ork Barbarian is starring in a new sim feature due out in five weeks! Keep this sim running after the feature and get a sneak peek at Neil the Ork Barbarian versus the Mole Women Under LA!"

(And I just barely dodge a visit from Stealth Mountain with that one!)