NEWS

Cthulhu Mythos

• 15 Replies

Hermes

• Chummer
« on: <06-25-12/2120:59> »
Would you or would you not consider Cthulhu, Yog-Sosoth, Shub-Niggurath, Hastur, Terrors from Beyond, etc. as horrors?

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #1 on: <06-25-12/2131:06> »
I use them in my games more as Mentor spirits or as part of a non-Twisted tradition. They're not malevolent (according to HP Lovecraft, August Derleth would disagree), so not Twisted or Horrors. They're just above right, wrong, and Euclidean rules of physics.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #2 on: <06-26-12/0004:17> »
I use them in my games more as Mentor spirits or as part of a non-Twisted tradition. They're not malevolent (according to HP Lovecraft, August Derleth would disagree), so not Twisted or Horrors. They're just above right, wrong, and Euclidean rules of physics.

And since it's the Lovecraft universe, not the Derleth universe, HPL's interpretation wins. Gotcha.

So what bonuses did they give, anyway? ;D
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <06-26-12/1228:54> »
The main difference is that, as I understand it, Lovecraft's eldritch abominations didn't really care one way or another about us. Whereas the Horrors are actually actively sadistic and feed on our suffering.

SpiderWord

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <06-26-12/1247:03> »
As inspiration yes. Consider the Horrors. They will be back.
"Where's the Dragon?" *Stomped*

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #5 on: <06-26-12/1300:32> »
Yeah, but "when" is the question.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Netzgeist

• Ace Runner
  • Serpens, nisi serpentem comederit, non fit draco
« Reply #6 on: <06-26-12/1359:08> »

And "the stars are right" is probably our best answer.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #7 on: <06-26-12/1407:53> »
The main difference is that, as I understand it, Lovecraft's eldritch abominations didn't really care one way or another about us. Whereas the Horrors are actually actively sadistic and feed on our suffering.
Exactly. The Old Ones are beings that only pay attention to people when they look to see what that sticky stuff is on the bottom of their shoe. Unless some idiot decides to go and wake up Cthulu. I swear, that guy is CRANKY when he wakes up from a nap!

Depends on how well the Smoking Mirror's project is going in Aztlan, and whether Big D is still on the bridge.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #8 on: <06-26-12/1531:03> »

Well, they also tend to have a rather negative effect on the human psyche.

(In the sense that Little Boy had "rather negative effects" on Hiroshima.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #9 on: <06-26-12/1558:59> »
I mentioned Derleth because he codified it all into "the Mythos". Unlike Horrors, some of the Elder Gods and Outer Gods (or at least their minions) could be harnessed or bargained with if one didnt delve too deep.

Nyarlathotep makes a good Dark King or Trickster. Azathoth could be any mentor with fiery connotations. Cthulu himself is tricky, but Dagon is purely an aquatic mentor, with less chaotic/destructive tendencies than other Outer Gods. Yog-Sothoth as The Gatekeeper leaves a few mentor spirits he could be.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #10 on: <06-26-12/1616:39> »

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Not to get into too much of a historical debate... but Hiroshima actually got off rather lighter than the cities America hit with conventional firebombing in the weeks previous.

So, would that mean there are things out there that could drive Cthulu insane if he looked on them?
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #11 on: <06-26-12/1639:11> »
...and whether Big D is still on the bridge.
"Went to visit my Brother, but all that was there was a sign that said "Out To Lunch" - Ghostwalker
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #12 on: <06-27-12/0052:59> »

on the next blue moon during a double tuesday. Poor George.

Not to get into too much of a historical debate... but Hiroshima actually got off rather lighter than the cities America hit with conventional firebombing in the weeks previous.

initially misread this (read as american cities), and responded, " but the japs never successfully firebombed any american cities (though they did get a family in the woods that found one of their firebombs)
« Last Edit: <06-27-12/0057:53> by beowulf_of_wa »
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #13 on: <06-27-12/0637:16> »

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

So, would that mean there are things out there that could drive Cthulu insane if he looked on them?

No.

:P

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #14 on: <06-27-12/0809:28> »
only on 4chan
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!