NEWS

If I were to produce a Shadowrun T.V. series (Cross-posted)

• 24 Replies

Hermes

• Chummer
« on: <06-03-12/1128:31> »
This is actually my campaign, so don't think of it as an actual series.  ( :) )

------------------------------------------------

SHADOWRUN Series Campaign Bible

Formula:  The player characters are shadowrunners running runs in Salt Lake City.  Because of how the Law operates in Salt Lake City, the runners do more work for the Common Man than for the Corps to stay on the SL Police's good side.

Premise: In a world were people are treated as Persons and regulated as Corporations, can one make a difference as a Living Man or Woman?

Theme:  Doing good in a technodystopic world.

PRODUCTION DESIGN

VIDEOS:
Opening Scene in Blade Runner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaR5wVL9x2I

AR UI in Minority Report: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwVBzx0LMNQ

Cityscapes to Vangelis' Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RScZrvTebeA

Memories of Green (Blade Runner): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg0cmhjdiLs&feature=related

PICTURES:

----------------------------------------

Home base:

The home base for the Shadowrunners

In Every T.V. show, the Ensemble cast often has a home base.  Atlantis in Stargate: Atlantis, the magic shoppe in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and the  Xavier mansion in the various X-Men animated cartoon shows.  For the A-Team it was the GMC van.

I have no idea where the Team is going to stay yet. :)

====================================================================
« Last Edit: <06-03-12/1151:26> by Hermes »

Hermes

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <06-03-12/1149:59> »
CHARACTERS:

Paladin -- Mercenary Gun Mage

Actor:

"Born and raised. Where? Doesn't matter. I'm a soldier. Aztlan's BlackOps. Sure, I served. Debuted in the Desert Wars. Tore up quite a few platoons there. Never met the president. Never wanted to. Leave the politics to the politicians, just give me something to kill. I had a certain knack. A "supernatural ability to survive", they called it. They did some tests; blood workup, a few...darker...things. Nothing panned out. They wanted to do more, but they figured they'd leave that for after my service to this great corporation. I've been in a hail of bullets, saw my fair share of grenades and even missiles. Took on some heavy artillery, from slugs to HMGs and Panther Cannons. Even a guass rifle made its way to my parties. A few things even hit me. Hurt like a bitch, too. I even died once. Obviously didn't stay dead. To this day, I still don't know why. But that's a bit of a side track.

"You see, everyhing about my missions are classified. Even if I wanted to tell you, I can't. What happened after my service is where it gets fun anyways. I wasn't tied down by the red tape anymore. Free to do the same thing, but paid more and did away with some of the moral ambiguities like "orders" and ... well, that was it. Miss it? Sure. Not knowing whether today was going to be my last day on this god forsaken rock had its appeal, but Denver? I couldn't have imagined a better place to spend my afterlife. These days it just feels like death came a bit early. In a good way, though. The Gates opened wide, shiny light; you get the picture. I could fight to my heart's content, and roam the streets after each night in search of people in need. Roughed up more people out of the ring than I did in it. They all deserved it, though.

"Strange enough, though. Someone caught wind of my skillset. Said I could help people. For great glory or somesuch nonsense. Their words, not mine. I like helping people, but going so far out of my way to do so? I'd better be getting paid for this. They said my skillset could save countless lives; that I would be fighting the way to end all wars. They said in this way, I woun't see an army. There is one, but it consists of people. Individuals that make up a whole. I don't pretend to understand, but who knows. Might be fun. Enjoying my retirement, but the blood...I miss it. The beast within needs a dark void filled, and these street thugs just aren't enough. I hunger...I'm starved for a fight. I yearn for my next near-death experience, the armed forces to give me a fucking challenge for once. These guys...they're serving up enemies by the platter. Sorry Craigslist, the random jobs are over. I'm getting excited at the new prospect already."

FOX: face (no pic)
Nothing's known about this shapeshifter. (Makes me, the GM, very nervous)

Myth's Hacker (no pic)

TANNITH (Street Mage)

Actor

you all met him, his Character Sheet is on these pages.   Amnesiac -- on the run from the YAKUZA.  There's some possibilities to work with this one, more than Fox, above.

« Last Edit: <06-03-12/1245:41> by Hermes »

Hermes

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <06-03-12/1213:01> »
Episodes

(Episode: Synopis)

• Pilot Back in Business: The team is hired to find an Arcano-Archaeologist that has gone missing.  She missed a few meetings with the Brigham Young University Antiquities Department (BYU has an active Egyptology program, but the UofU specializes in Native Archaeology).
  • Esemble: The Team is hired to help a resident deal with the Jokers; a violent crime gang operating out of Sandy.  They meet their nemesis -- the Police lieutenant Carl Dempsey, who is chasing them because they operate outside of the law.
  • Focus PC 1 -- Paladin: one of Paladin's old buddies is captured by Cyberdyne, who wants to use him in experiments relating to Desert War Syndrome.  The team may have to get him out.
  • Focus PC 2 -- Tannith:
  • Focus PC 3 -- Fox:
  • Focus PC 4 -- Gun blaster(??):
  • Continuity -- Subroutine: see Jet Set.
  • Ensemble: A professor of Magic Theory and Hermetic Science at the University of Utah is murdered.  At the reading of the will, everything was passed out except for his private library (read: Hermetic Lodge).  The team is hired to find where his Private Library is stashed and who killed him.
  • Continuity: The team is captured by Carl Dempsey, but the Pueblo Corporate Council grants the team their freedom if they perform an operation to extract a National in Tenochitlan.
  • Focus Paladin:
  • Focus Fox:
  • Ensemble: Hiding in the Dark -- Shadowrun mission.
  • Focus PC 5 -- Hacker:
  • Continuity -- Aztlan Counterstrike: See Jet Set.
    • Change of Pace: The Shadowrunners are transported to the 4th World (the World of EXALTED) by a strange Arcanoartifact.  While the Lemurian Arcanoscientists try to figure out what went wrong, the Shadowrunners find themselves to be a novelty and a security risk.  A past incarnation of Lieutenant Dempsey, General Hazlan, wants to put the Shadowrunners under ice for study.
    • Ensemble: Extraction -- Shadowrun Mission.
    • Continuity: Vegas, Honey -- See The Twilight Horizon
    • Focus Tannith:
    • Focus Gun Blaster
    • Ensemble Rally Cry: Project Freedom, the initiative to have Kearns be recognized as an Ork Haven, is underway, and the O.R.C. is holding a public rally on the steps of the Salt Lake County building. Humanis is holding a counter rally, and sparks are expected to fly. Who would be crazy enough to get in the middle of that?
    • Continuity Count Down: General Hazlan comes to the future present, determined to get revenge at the Shadowrunners that humiliated him.  The lemurian general enlists the aid of the Black Lodge to help him destroy the Shadowrunners.
      • Season Finale -- Red Rain: It has been raining RED RAIN for ten days now in Salt Lake City, and much of the county is underwater.  The Shadowrunners have to find out who did this, and stop him.  Or Salt Lake City will become another Lake Bonneville.

I'm running out of time, but I'll get more up later today.
« Last Edit: <06-03-12/1335:14> by Hermes »

Hermes

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <06-03-12/1232:49> »
SAMPLE OUTLINE:

A Murder in Scarlet

SYNOPSIS: A professor of Hermetic Science and Quantum Studies that worked in the University of Utah was found murdered in his office.  At the reading of the will, everything was handed out except his private library.  The man who was to inherit the library hires the Shadowrunners to find his private library.

THE TWIST:  The Black Lodge wants to find the private library also.  And they are willing to kill, maim, and blackmail to get at the private library.  The reason?  The Library contains the Secret.

CLIMAX:  The Shadowrunners face down the Black Lodge's agents, Magio-Assassins, as the man that hired them unlocks the way to the private library.

-----------------

Teaser: Paladin is contacted by . . .

---- Completed later. :)

--------------------------

Ideas for Change of Pace

• the PCs are transported to White Wolf's world of EXALTED, and create EXALTED versions of themselves (complete with their Shadowrun skills and so forth).
  • General Hazlan is a Lunar.
  • Harlequin will figure in the plot, and be a Sidereal.
  • Harlequin will "die" in the plot, his mortal existence scattered across Eternity.
« Last Edit: <06-03-12/1408:55> by Hermes »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <06-04-12/0126:41> »
Leverage.

With Magic.

Done.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #5 on: <06-04-12/0750:41> »
Leverage.

With Magic.

Done.  ;D
And dragons!
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Marak1972

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <06-04-12/0801:16> »
Oh my
no no no thats a BIG BUG
green - speech
blue - thought
Hello mon come on and letd get dis party started no

Hermes

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <06-04-12/0908:30> »
I take it you like it. :)

Marak1972

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <06-04-12/1216:51> »
Yepp most defintly  ;D 8)
no no no thats a BIG BUG
green - speech
blue - thought
Hello mon come on and letd get dis party started no

Hermes

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <06-04-12/1535:45> »
Then I'll give some mission reports.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <06-04-12/2047:28> »
Tanith here, I'm psyched :-) Looking forward to it. Discussing with GM if we are going to still use OpenRPG or if Roll20.net would work better. Anyone have experience with Roll20 yet? It's in beta.

Hermes

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <06-05-12/1144:35> »
Important Locations around the Game Setting

At the moment, last night, I was getting ideas on how to write a small game world pastiche about my Church and how it would operate in the Sixth World.  I almost stayed awake and wrote everything down.  However, I promised Falconer that there would be no new house rules; so I'll keep to that promise.  However, it's important to get my ideas out about the three major colleges in the area.

THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH

Relative to the Game World of Shadowrun, the University of Utah has the following departments.

-- Computer Science -- (Hacker and Technomancer related)
Most people don't know that Pixar had it's start at this University.  The founders of Pixar developed and completed a program that created a tea pot.   Also, the University of Utah was one of the first institutions to start ArcNet with the U.S. Military, the first version of the Maxtrix.  The University of Utah in the Sixth World has become the place to go to learn Maxtrix Programming.

Matrix Programming (Max Rtg):
Active Skills
      --- Computer (6)
      --- Software (6)
      --- Hardware (6)
      --- Data Search (3)

Knowledge Skills
      --- Computer Theory (6)
      --- Matrix Architecture (7)
      --- Matrix Communications (6)
      --- Matrix Theory (6)
      --- Operating Systems (6)

Matrix Operations
-- Electronics Skill Group (6)
-- Hacking Group (6)

Experimental Programs in the Computer Department
The University of Utah's computer department is working with the Broadcasting Department and the Psychology department in studying the Technomancer Phenomenon.  The University of Utah is one of the few colleges in North America that is developing a Technomancer program.

Skills taught in this fledging program:
Active Skills:
 --- Tasking Skill Group (3)
 --- Computer (6)
 --- Data Search (3)

Common Knowledge Skills to these programs
  • Computer Theory (6)
  • Matrix Architecture (7)
  • Matrix Communications (6)
  • Matrix Ethics (6)
  • Matrix Theory (6)
  • Operating Systems (6)

DEPARTMENT OF MAGIC (Magician Related)

The Magic Department at the University of Utah has grown out of the Parapsychology Department in the 2020s and has become a valid source of study.  The University of Utah isn't a leading University in the Study of Magic, thanks to the Mana Ebb; however after the Year of the Comet -- the Magical program has enjoyed some popularity.  Among the 30 best schools to go learn magic, it's ranked 27th in North America.  The Magic Department offers the following Disciplines for study:

• Hermetic Science (Hermetic Tradition)
  • Wiccan Studies (Wiccan Tradition)
  • Qabbalistic Studies (Qabbalistic Tradition, taught at the Jewish Center)
  • North American Arcano-Archaeology
Skills taught in the program:
Active Skills:
  • Arcana (6)
  • Assensing (4)
  • Conjuring Skill Group (4)
  • Sorcery Skill Group (6)
  • Enchanting (4)

Knowledge Skills:
  • Arcano-Archaelogy (5)
  • Magical phenomenon (6)
  • Magic Theory (5)
  • Spirits (4)
  • Parabotany (4)
  • Parazoology (4)

Business School (Face related)
The University of Utah boasts the best Business program in the Pueblo Corporate Council.  This isn't true as it's rival -- Brigham Young University -- also boasts the best program in the PCC.  However, to gain such a reputation, the Business program at the U of U often asks the Rich to come speak at certain seminars to it's students.  Those that come are those that wish to share their knowledge about money and wealth.

Skills taught in this program:
Active Skills
  • Influence Skill Group (6)
Knowledge Skills
  • Capital Economics (4)
  • Social Economics (6)
  • Entrepreneurship (6)
  • Business Theory (4)
  • Interpersonal Communication (4)

College ROTC (Street Samurai and Mercenary related)
The ROTC at the University of Utah has a long tradition of training officers.  Because Salt Lake City doesn't have a military defense force, but does have a police force; the ROTC here trains those with promising Leadership skills before they go to the Pueblo Corporate Council's Military Academy in Santa Fe.  Real Military Training, however, is found here because of the College's proximity to the old Fort Douglas.  Dropouts often find work in Corporate Security.  While a real gifted drop out might become a "Street Samurai."

Skills taught at the ROTC
Active Skills:
  • Firearms skill group (3)
  • Close Combat skill group (3)
  • Influence Skill Group (3)
  • Perception (4)

Sample Knowledge Skills:
  • Militaries of the World
  • Military Procedure

ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT
in the 2070s, the Engineering Department at the University of Utah is among the Top 20 in North America.  The U of U specializes in producing gadgets for the good of the typical Salt Lake Citizen, there are Black Projects developed in tandem with the PCC's research labs in Area 51 and Roswell.  The University of Los Angeles is the major rival in Engineering however, and typically they are on black projects.

Skills taught in the Program
Active Skills:
  • Electronics Skill Group (6)
  • Cybertechnology (6)
  • Mechanic Skill Group (4)
  • Armorer (4)

Sample Knowledge Skills
  • Firearm Design
  • Cyber Engineering
  • Civil Engineering
  • Military Engineering
  • Vehicle Engineering
[/list][/list]

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #12 on: <06-05-12/1215:51> »
Hey, neat idea. Include in the college writeups what skills they offer and at what rating. I like it.

Now, perhaps it;s nitpicky, but don't you think that offering Rating 6 in so many areas is a bad idea? You are basically saying that this University has the "best in most of the world" in all of those skills teaching there. There is only one level of skill higher than 6, and only one skill can ever be that high for a given person. I mean, if college teaches Rating 6, then it teaches almost everything there is to know on the subject. That's fine for knowledge skills, but Rating 4 is the level of Professional training, level 5 is expert, level 6 is the best in several countries, 7 is the best ever. Are you saying that there are teachers who can cover all these subjects to skill 6, or what? If it can be taught that high, I think it's probably not the best way to go. The last two points (6 and 7) should come from real-world experience (Karma) IMHO.

On the other hand, You should also add a gym program and a study hall program that lets the teachers help you train your base attributes, and a magical practice hall where spells can be practiced and spirits summoned under supervision.

You may want to consider, if the runners are students, to use the "nuyen for Karma" house rules. Every 2500 nuyen spent, is 1 karma they earn to spend on their skills and attributes. Naturally, this would also include extra days studying or training.
« Last Edit: <06-05-12/1218:51> by Mason »

Hermes

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <06-05-12/1306:52> »
BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY

In the Sixth World, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints operates Brigham Young University in Provo, and two satellite Universities in Hawai'i (BYU-Hawai'i) and the Salish-Sidhe Council (BYU-Salish).  They also operate a network of Institutes around the old United States of America.  BYU is part of the Salt Lake City Anglo-Enclave in the PCC.

Notable Programs

Department of Applied Quantum Physics

If you are Magically Active, and you go to Brigham Young University, you have two choices in becoming a full magician.  You either join the Mormon Church and get a Temple Recommend (Theurgy), and or you apply to the Egyptology Department and Department of Applied Quantum Physics programs at BYU.  The Mormon Church does not follow the Catholic Church -- the Church always believed in Theurgy.  Just that Theurgy stays in the Temple and is not taught in University programs.  Since the Mormon Church does not recognize most other traditions as valid traditions of study (and actively opposes students of the Black Magic tradition wherever possible) -- the college only teaches two Magician traditions.  And they are:
  • Applied Quantum Physics (Psionic Tradition)
  • Arcano-Egyptology (Egyptian Tradition)

Currently, the Applied Quantum Physics program at B.Y.U. is rivaled in North America only by the programs at Princeton University and MIT&M.  Internationally, the BYU Applied Quantum Physics Program is rivaled by Oxford University (in England).  While the Arcano-Egyptology Program is rivaled by the Egyptology department at the University of Chicago and internationally, the University of Cairo -- Egypt and Oxford University.

The Applied Quantum Physics program taught at B.Y.U. is based on the Law of Cause and Effect.  Magicians applying to the field of study learn that what the other traditions call magic is the manifestation of will, and therefore a strange science and not an art.  Magicians coming out of the BYU Applied Quantum Physics program are typically well rounded and often have a greater sense of themselves.  Mormon Magicians who graduate with the Psionic Tradition often find themselves subconsciously melding the Psionic Tradition with the Theurgy tradition.  In the Mid-21st Century, this means that a new Tradition of Magic is starting ooze itself into being.

Magicians in the Arcano-Egyptology program learn a second rate program and are typically "non-mormons."  The program is second rate because the Egyptian magical tradition is treated in a purely academic and historical mode.  Magicians who graduate from this program typically still have to piece everything together and or apply to a school with a better program for applying what they have learned.

The list of skills taught is similar to the ones taught at the University of Utah.

Experimental Approaches

The Applied Quantum Physics program approaches the Tradition in experimental mode.  One of the things stressed in the program is that Matter and Energy cannot be created nor destroyed (i.e. Things cannot be created from Mana), Summoning Objects (rather than Spirits) from the Ether, Teleportation, and Time Travel are valid approaches to the program.  The simplicity of such things is converting energy into matter, and vice versa.  Every Semester, a group of students would summon a lot of Gold as a prank.  Although the summoned gold will often go back into Energy form, making sure that no gold is distributed.

As for Time Travel, the Experiments are fledging and so far: students can only skip back 5 minutes or skip ahead Five minutes.  Although there is an Urban Legend among BYU students that one student skipped back to the time of the Creation and back.  And as for Teleportation -- it's a valid field and there has been documented studies of students teleporting to London, Vienna, and Neo-Tokyo and back.

Computer Science department

Basically the same as the University of Utah's, above.  However, the University teaches the Cracking Skill Group as "Defensive Hacking" rather than "Offensive Hacking."   Hacking offensively is considered bad by the Church, and B.Y.U. teaches the skill group as defensive.  However, there are some graduates who enter the Shadows as Hackers and will run the matrix offensively.  There are no experimental projects dealing with Technomancers.

Business Department

Basically the same as the University of Utah's, as above.  However, B.Y.U. doesn't produce many shadowy Faces, as business ethics is taught there, and people learn from a moral perspective rather than an Amoral one.  However, many Mega-corporations and small corporations in general want those graduated from the B.Y.U. school of Business.

Archaeology Department (semi-related to Shadowrunning).

B.Y.U.'s Archaeology department has a successful Egyptology program.  In fact, they are regularly invited to Egypt on Archaeological digs.  Students learn Archaeology and often they tie it into Mormon theology.  Arcano-Archaeology is a fledging discipline, and so far B.Y.U. is slow in adopting the program as valid.

ROTC

B.Y.U. has an active ROTC program.  Drop outs often become Street Samurai, however.  Those trained here often find themselves in the army of the PCC.  The program is similar to the University of Utah program.

[/list]

Hermes

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <06-05-12/1309:47> »
Now, perhaps it;s nitpicky, but don't you think that offering Rating 6 in so many areas is a bad idea? You are basically saying that this University has the "best in most of the world" in all of those skills teaching there. There is only one level of skill higher than 6, and only one skill can ever be that high for a given person. I mean, if college teaches Rating 6, then it teaches almost everything there is to know on the subject. That's fine for knowledge skills, but Rating 4 is the level of Professional training, level 5 is expert, level 6 is the best in several countries, 7 is the best ever. Are you saying that there are teachers who can cover all these subjects to skill 6, or what? If it can be taught that high, I think it's probably not the best way to go. The last two points (6 and 7) should come from real-world experience (Karma) IMHO.

Yes, you're right.  This is rough, but thanks for pointing that out.  I have another college to work on before I go back and edit everything.  I welcome other suggestions from the community! :)

On the other hand, You should also add a gym program and a study hall program that lets the teachers help you train your base attributes, and a magical practice hall where spells can be practiced and spirits summoned under supervision.

Capitol idea, I'll add it in the revision.

You may want to consider, if the runners are students, to use the "nuyen for Karma" house rules. Every 2500 nuyen spent, is 1 karma they earn to spend on their skills and attributes. Naturally, this would also include extra days studying or training.

People keep telling me you don't house rule Shadowrun . . .

Oh well, I'll think about it.  If FastJack or CanRay makes the same suggestion, I'll consider it in the revision.
« Last Edit: <06-05-12/1312:39> by Hermes »

Register