NEWS

Movies to watch?

• 69 Replies

WSN0W

• Chummer
  • Never let a friend fool you twice.
« Reply #30 on: <07-09-12/1933:04> »
Oh, the Corruptor (Also with Mark Whalberg) I found to be a good one. Watched it reccently for a some cultural ideas for a Hong Kong set game.

GloriousRuse

• Chummer
« Reply #31 on: <07-10-12/1236:42> »
No one has mentioned Ronin?

Sam: What's in the case?
Deirdre: That isn't necessary.
Sam: Is it heavy, is it explosive, is it chained to some unlucky bloke's wrist? Are we gonna have to chop it off?
Deirdre: All right. But I am not under any obligation to let you know...
Sam: If not, the price has gotta go up. I'll get you the case, but the price has gotta go up. If it's gonna be a amateur night, I want a hundred thousand dollars. I want it upfront. I want it in a bank account. I want another $100,000 when you get the case.
Deirdre: [after a phone conversation with someone] You'll get your money when we get the case.

Vincent: Do you want to back him up?
[Sam shrugs]
Vincent: What would I profit from your death?
Sam: Well, you'd have the money.
Vincent: I have the money already.
[pause]
Vincent: [nods] I'll watch the back.

Demerzel

• Newb
« Reply #32 on: <07-10-12/1504:41> »
Looking through those movies listed so far I'm surprised to not see Heat listed.

I like the portrayal of both sides of the conflict. I thing GMing SR it is easy to forget how hard it is to get cooperation from coworkers (as in the platinum heist scene where the lazy SWAT guy gave away their position) let alone inter agency or inter corporation.

Also, a resounding second for Sneakers.

Sliver

• Newb
« Reply #33 on: <07-10-12/1640:10> »
There's a documentary that I watched recently that is simply called The Corporation (it's on Netflix right now), and it gave me so much insight into shadowrun. It's not futuristic, but it states a lot about massive corporations, how they work, what their mindset is, and ultimately how flawed they are with regards to only having the goal of profit in mind as well as their sociopathic tendencies. I can literally see Shadowrun happening to us (rather than magic) in the future with regards to corporate structure.

It gave me a lot of ideas, and worked awesome for this corp-centered universe.
"Those who restrain their desires do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained."

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <07-10-12/1836:35> »
Ghost Dog
Seven Samurai
Fist Full of Dollars
A Few Dollars More
Cast a Deadly Spell
Johnny Dangerously
The Maltese Falcon
Chinatown
Friday
Friday After Next

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #35 on: <07-11-12/2219:09> »
Ghost Dog
Seven Samurai
Fist Full of Dollars
A Few Dollars More
Cast a Deadly Spell
Johnny Dangerously
The Maltese Falcon
Chinatown
Friday
Friday After Next

Wak, you forgot the sequel to that one "Witch Hunt" with Dennis Hopper. Two good Magic private eye movies.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <07-11-12/2302:48> »
I didn't know that there *was* a sequel. Hot diggity!

(For those who haven't seen the original, it's now up on YouTube. Enjoy!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXIrQtqVhvQ

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #37 on: <07-12-12/0916:15> »
Glad I could help then. and thanks for that link. I've been wanting watch it again for awhile now.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Daeryth

• Newb
« Reply #38 on: <07-12-12/2301:25> »
Mission Impossible - at least the first one.   8)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

- Peter Gibbons

Chance359

• Newb
« Reply #39 on: <07-15-12/0436:08> »
Way of the gun (two criminals kidnap a surrogate mother to be and ransom the baby.  Bodyguards and a fixer all come after them, different motivations for each)

Hollow Point (Two feds and a hitman try to catch a guy who launders money for the mafia, Vory, and the Triads)

Dog Soldiers (Infantry squad gets hunted through the woods by a paranormal critter)

Tombstone (Doc Holiday)

The Crow (great for that bleak urban setting)

Hard Boiled

Equilibrium (gun fu)

FlyDog

• Newb
  • Hail to the King, baby!
« Reply #40 on: <07-17-12/0241:46> »
The Escape From...... flicks.  Great way to see any other day in the Barrens.
"Haven't met a problem yet that can't be solved with my Super Warhawk.  This includes long division."

Glorthoron

• Omae
« Reply #41 on: <07-19-12/1808:33> »
No one has mentioned Ronin?

Sam: What's in the case?
Deirdre: That isn't necessary.
Sam: Is it heavy, is it explosive, is it chained to some unlucky bloke's wrist? Are we gonna have to chop it off?
Deirdre: All right. But I am not under any obligation to let you know...
Sam: If not, the price has gotta go up. I'll get you the case, but the price has gotta go up. If it's gonna be a amateur night, I want a hundred thousand dollars. I want it upfront. I want it in a bank account. I want another $100,000 when you get the case.
Deirdre: [after a phone conversation with someone] You'll get your money when we get the case.

Vincent: Do you want to back him up?
[Sam shrugs]
Vincent: What would I profit from your death?
Sam: Well, you'd have the money.
Vincent: I have the money already.
[pause]
Vincent: [nods] I'll watch the back.

Actually, someone mentioned Ronin early on in the thread.  However, I third Ronin.  Probably the most Shadowrunnish movie I have ever seen (sans magic and cyberware)

I noticed that a lot of people are listing movies that don't even come close to being shadowrunnish, they're just throwing out sci fi movies that have guns or robots in them (ex: terminator).  WTF?
"It's not enough to complain.  You have to want to be part of the solution."

Cass100199

• Chummer
  • Truth hurts only if you're a dumba**.
« Reply #42 on: <07-19-12/1954:35> »
I noticed that a lot of people are listing movies that don't even come close to being shadowrunnish, they're just throwing out sci fi movies that have guns or robots in them (ex: terminator).  WTF?

That's an easy one. Maybe once in our lives, we players have come up with something original, but 99.9% of the time we are taking tropes and concepts we've consumed in other sci fi and fantasy media to come up with our characters. I would even argue that sci-fi and fantasy have been recycling the same concepts since long before I was born. You can only swing a sword, kill a dragon/king/queen and fight aliens/robots/nano creatures so many ways. So, even if there isn't a direct SR example, every single one of these movies offers a bit of characterization and personality to draw from when we are building our characters and/or a seed for an adventure.
You can't tell me what toys I can play with.

Glorthoron

• Omae
« Reply #43 on: <07-19-12/1958:17> »

That's an easy one. Maybe once in our lives, we players have come up with something original, but 99.9% of the time we are taking tropes and concepts we've consumed in other sci fi and fantasy media to come up with our characters. I would even argue that sci-fi and fantasy have been recycling the same concepts since long before I was born. You can only swing a sword, kill a dragon/king/queen and fight aliens/robots/nano creatures so many ways. So, even if there isn't a direct SR example, every single one of these movies offers a bit of characterization and personality to draw from when we are building our characters and/or a seed for an adventure.

I agree with your premise, but most of these listed movies have nothing to do with the original question of this thread, which was:

Besides Bladerunner. :)

What movies would you suggest to watch for an overall, Gibsonian Cyberpunk theme?
"It's not enough to complain.  You have to want to be part of the solution."

Cass100199

• Chummer
  • Truth hurts only if you're a dumba**.
« Reply #44 on: <07-19-12/2307:36> »
All those movies have elements that would translate to a Gibsonian, cyberpunk theme.
You can't tell me what toys I can play with.