NEWS

UCAS Military

• 28 Replies

Priest

• Newb
« on: <05-24-12/1925:30> »
I have seen stated UCAS Army and Navy but is that all that is left or does the Marine Corps and Air Force still exist?? If Anyone can help me out i would greatly appreciate it.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <05-24-12/1931:59> »
Yes, the UCAS has the Marines and an Air Force. As with all the other armed forces, they got split up when the CAS broke off.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Priest

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <05-24-12/1944:17> »
Thanks a bunch i tried finding it as best i could but never came up in anything i found.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #3 on: <05-24-12/2047:02> »
Kane's "Street Legend" writeup (I forget if it's book #1 or #2) specifically mentions that happening.

It also talks about a bunch of Marines that turned mercenary when that happened, because they didn't want to potentially go to war against other Marines. They follow an "idealized" version of the USMC's values and abre the closest thing to pure Good Guys I've seen from a group in the Sixth World, except maybe Dunkie and his crew.

They're mentioned because they were hired to help Kane mount a full blown, tanks-and-air-support assault a PoW camp to rescue the woman he loves, who had been left there to rot by politicians.
« Last Edit: <05-24-12/2049:42> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <05-24-12/2157:14> »
"Semper Fidelus", Always Faithful.  Marines are.  Governments aren't, which is why they need the Marines.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <05-24-12/2210:05> »
"Semper Fidelus", Always Faithful.  Marines are.  Governments aren't, which is why they need the Marines.

Oooh Rah
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <05-24-12/2343:24> »
There are references to the UCAS Marines and Air Force in the DeeCee chapter of Conspiracy Theories. There's also a reference in Super Tuesday!.

Shadowrun has had many more references to the CAS Marines over the years, but there are some UCAS Marines here and there.

There are other independent Marine units in the Mojave in the California Free State sourcebook.
« Last Edit: <05-24-12/2346:05> by James Meiers »

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-25-12/0144:00> »
In the Mojave? Poor bastards.

(Military stuff is always odd, because Shadowrun players love to talk about it, but it rarely gets used in games. Heck, this is often lampshaded in the books like, say, Aztlan, where they'll go "I don't know why you fraggers care about this, because if you see a tank, you'd better RUN, but...")

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #8 on: <05-25-12/0156:00> »
To be fair, it's rare that Mercs get a voice on the Black BBSes that are used by Shadowrunners.  Matador and Picador aside, of course, and Hatchetman knowing a fair bit as well.

It's glossed over because, well, you don't do 'runs against the Military unless it's the blackest of Shadows.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <05-25-12/0750:58> »
That's for the simple reason that if shadowrunners go toe to toe with a national military, they lose. Every time. The only reason runners can get away with any runs against the military at all is because they sneak around and pray to whatever diety you like that they don't get caught, and then run like hell when they're discovered.

My Characters

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #10 on: <05-25-12/0823:34> »
That's for the simple reason that if shadowrunners go toe to toe with a national military, they lose. Every time. The only reason runners can get away with any runs against the military at all is because they sneak around and pray to whatever diety you like that they don't get caught, and then run like hell when they're discovered.

Exactly....

Think of every toy and tactic that you could never use either because it's too bulky, too obvious, too expensive, or just too high an Availability. Now realize that an army unit doesn't have to worry about any of that.

You trip a red alert and you'll have guys in Citymasters wearing Heavy Military Armor chasing you spraying full-auto grenade launchers at you while snipers take pot-shots with Gauss Rifles and the Riggers are launching salvos of upgraded, TacNet-loaded, Anti-Tank-Warhead-bearing Heimdall drones at you that want to play tag... and that's just the first wave of response.

Wow, I'm feeling really verbose tonight.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #11 on: <05-25-12/0846:08> »

Dude. That is the most profoundly American thing I've ever heard a Canadian say.

I'm so proud of you!  :'(

*Grin*

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #12 on: <05-25-12/1224:10> »
Dude. That is the most profoundly American thing I've ever heard a Canadian say.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate
Considering our current government, well, let's just say the crazy isn't just in the US right now.

My question, back on topic, is did the UCAS keep JTF-2?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <05-25-12/1343:36> »
Where are they based? The military forces were pretty much split in half depending on where they were located at the time.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #14 on: <05-25-12/1438:36> »
Where are they based? The military forces were pretty much split in half depending on where they were located at the time.
Canada.  They're the Canadian Armed Forces Special Forces Unit.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11