NEWS

Understanding the Matrix conceptually.

• 1 Replies

DanJ

• Newb
« on: <05-19-12/2002:55> »
Late last year I ran a few sessions of shadowrun and then we took quite a long break. Now i'm ready to give it a shot again. But this time i'm going to try to use the matrix rules. (running shadowrun last year was the first time i'd gm'd any roleplaying game)
Warning: This post will sound really dumb.

Now that thats out of the way....

Reading "Anatomy of a Shadowrun" helped me understand some of the conceptual componants of the matrix better. But I have some questions....
Most of these are not strictly rules related by my definition more to do with my understanding of how certain things could have happened in this booklet and confirming my understanding of certain aspects.

On page 2 of AOAS it says that Riser and charlie have spotted a tail in the crowd as they make their way to the aces club to meet their employer.
It then says that ladybug the teams technomancer is accompanying them in VR.
What does this mean? does it mean that she is logged into a node of one of the other runners PAN's or does it mean that she has hacked the node of some nearby buildings and is monitoring them via some security camera's in the region.

It then says that lady bug tries to perform a detect hidden node action to find the tails commlink so that the team can find out their identity. I know how she is doing this via the rules.... but how can she access that information from wherever she is now hypothetically? If she was in VR and logged into one of the teams nodes then how can she visualise to get a rough idea of where the tails node might be.
If she is logged into a nearby building node and can see through the security camera's she'd be able to spot to get a rough idea if she can see the tail on the camera's to help her pinpoint the general direction of where he might be.

I imagine that i've probably misunderstood or don't understand at all about how navigation of the matrix works...

Thrass

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <05-19-12/2022:16> »
in the late 70ies "everything" is run by a computer chip...

so you can reach and access "everything" by the mesh/matrix/internet

she could either just go to the club virtually and just be in the club's node (probably a nexus more on this specific kind of node is in unwired) (only visible to people that are their in VR on or are AR enabled)

or she could just log onto a commlink of her team...

now either way if she has enough rights on the system she is accessing (normal user accounts should imho suffice to scan for networks) she is able to scan for hidden nodes
Speech - Thought - Matrix
Characters: Andy - Andys rolls