NEWS

Posession clarification - Moved from Errata thread

• 23 Replies

Lethe

• Omae
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #15 on: <05-19-12/1937:18> »
This discussion leads me to questions of my own:

what about mystic adepts with channelling and possession tradition?
Do they use the possessing spirit magic rating?
Can they "switch" some of these points of magic to adept powers?
What happens to "physical" improvements of the body by adept powers while possessed? (for example: increased attributes, increased reflexes, boosted attributes)
Well, following my theory, nothing will change, stats including magic for the adept stay the same. For the other theory its just the tip of an iceberg full of followup problems.. ;-)

Thrass

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <05-19-12/2024:31> »
This discussion leads me to questions of my own:

what about mystic adepts with channelling and possession tradition?
Do they use the possessing spirit magic rating?
Can they "switch" some of these points of magic to adept powers?
What happens to "physical" improvements of the body by adept powers while possessed? (for example: increased attributes, increased reflexes, boosted attributes)

I'ld say magic for the magician part is now "replaced" by the spirits magic while the points in adept magic remain (otherwise they'ld go to 0 because the spirit does have no points in adept magic)
Speech - Thought - Matrix
Characters: Andy - Andys rolls

blackangel

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <05-20-12/0129:16> »
I reread part of this thread and have this :

RAW you use the spirits which means you can't spend edge by RAW while possessed, but you get a magic boost if the spirit has a higher magic rating (Hmmm...would possessing your adept buddy give the vessel more power points during the possession?).

The house rule that is common makes a distinction between the combined being (spirit+mage) that the possession rules are clearly meant for and the spellcaster himself (who is said to use his skills). Note that channeling does not give the combined being or the spirit access to the magician's skills, only the magician.

I can see both sides of the fence personally.

Question about an improving magic rating and an improvement upon your adept powers is not settled though.

In this thread it is also advanced that if the spirit has a force lower than its summoner magic attribute, the summoner magic attribute would be lowered if he wants to cast a spell.
"No one is more of a slave than he who thinks himself free without being so." GOETHE

Lethe

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <05-20-12/0322:13> »
I'ld say magic for the magician part is now "replaced" by the spirits magic while the points in adept magic remain (otherwise they'ld go to 0 because the spirit does have no points in adept magic)
Spirits also don't have any spells or the magician quality, which means their magic is also not in magician magic, but in spirit magic. By that logic the magicians magic gets replaced by the spirits but can't use it at all, because its the wrong kind of magic? That made me laugh a bit, nice try.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #19 on: <05-20-12/0346:15> »
Ah, some spirits do have those qualities. Free spirits are automaticaly granted magician quality for example, and as Spirit of man possess Spellcasting skill I guess it is able to cast spells...

Lethe

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <05-20-12/0446:05> »
Ah, some spirits do have those qualities. Free spirits are automaticaly granted magician quality for example, and as Spirit of man possess Spellcasting skill I guess it is able to cast spells...
Sure, but free spirits are NPC area, you normally don't summon or use them for possession. And spirits of man only get innate spell power you give them as an option, they still don't have magician quality. Point of my remark stays, its foolish trying to divide the magic into categories here.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #21 on: <05-20-12/0521:42> »
guess right...
Well, IMO that part that Spirit is Overwriting posessed characters special attributes, Edge and Magic, with its own, means that any improvements gained from Adept powers are overwriten also...channeling mage has access to his skills and body contol, well not the Magic or Edge.

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <05-20-12/1017:28> »
Here is what gets me on this how can you use something on a spirt it does not have? As I understand the spirt stats spirts use force not magic. (when you make a free spirt its force is used as magic but it does not realy have a magic stat.) Athou the criter stats list it as having magic i think it is supose to be its foce is its power but to steam line the rules they treated in creature as a seperate stat because they were tring to keep all stats the same set up.

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <05-20-12/1202:08> »
A lot of summonable spirit powers are actually Magic + Attribute tests such as Fear, Confusion, and Influence.  Others have their effect dependent on magic such as Concealment, Movement, Immunity, and Elemental Attack.  Now in the vast majority of cases, a spirit's force is the same as magic.  If there was a way to increase magic directly, a spirit could have more magic without an increase in force.

As for adepts while possessed, the traditional answer is "yes adepts get to use their powers while channeling/possessed."  That's why "mystic adept channeling face puncher" has been a fairly common and complained about build.  However, I'm not sure if that's the case since adept powers run off PP not magic directly the vast majority of the time.