NEWS

Non-Toxic Mages & Radiation Elemental Damage

• 7 Replies

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« on: <05-15-12/0724:59> »
So, pretty simple question... are there any actual, specific rule that would prevent a non-Toxic mage from grabbing an Elemental Bolt spell and giving it the Radiation element? We're talking specifically "Missions Legal" here, of course, so "Special Snowflake" arguments don't apply here any more than they apply to Missions players abusing SURGE or playing Pixies.

I ask because, given that its Physical damage and pretty much odorless, tasteless, silent, and bypasses all armor except radiation suits, it seems like a Gamma Beam type spell would be the perfect weapon for magical destruction. Using it would be obvious grounds for Bad Rep, if not worse, except Missions doesn't actually allow Bad Rep or any of the other qualities (such as Wanted) one would expect to get for using such a no-no spell.

Also, would magically produced Radiation leave fallout or would it, like Acid spells, produce the immediate effect without any of the lingering after-effects?
« Last Edit: <05-15-12/0736:56> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <05-15-12/0757:06> »
I haven't really paid attention to the Missions rules, honestly, but if they allow Ice, Earth, Sonic, or other elemental types, as defined in the book to be applied to spells, then I don't see why not.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <05-15-12/1058:23> »
Radiation is a Toxic elemental effect, hence it appears in the Magical Threats chapter rather than with the others in the Grimoire chapter.  Toxic characters are explicitly NPC-only, so it's never Missions-legal in my view.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Crash_00

« Reply #3 on: <05-15-12/1350:15> »
Pg. 165 and 166 of Street Magic detail all the new elemental choices available to normal mages. If it's not there, it isn't an option for mere untainted mages. All toxic magic and attributes of toxic magic are meant to be toxics only. GMs are strongly encouraged not to allow them in play for PCs.

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <05-15-12/1403:43> »
There is no "non-toxic mages can't learn radiation spells" line.  The closest is the aside in Street Magic:
Quote from: SM 145
Natural  radiation  of  radioactive materials, specific spells (developed by  Radiation  magicians),  and  the  powers  of nuclear  spirits  may  inflict  Radiation  damage on a living being.
Which implies that you'll have to learn the spell from a toxic mage at the very least.  Considering in Missions you can be made into a NPC for keeping and learning from a blood mage's notes*, I'll suspect the same fate would befall someone who apprenticed under a toxic mage.

*-[spoiler=Missions Spoiler]In the Second Season adventure Tunnel Vision, you can get a blood mage's notes.  It notes that an awakened character reading and learning from the notes become ineligible for further missions play.  There's a new missions leader and season, but nothing Bull has done has shown he's diviated from this approach.  This is especially true if you factor in his response to PCs deliberately trying to get infected with HMHVV is NPCdom.[/spoiler]

Crash_00

« Reply #5 on: <05-16-12/0257:04> »
Some of these elemental damage types (Acid, Cold, Electricity, and Fire) are described on pp. 154–155, SR4. A few others are described in the Elemental Effects sidebar on p. 164 of this book. At the gamemaster’s discretion, other elemental effects may be allowed, though they should be carefully analyzed and weighed against existing effects.
Anything not listed in the main book or in the extra elemental effects (165-166) is blatantly GM discretion. Which is pretty much going to be a no go for Missions usually.

In addition, the radiation elemental damage section specifically says this:
Natural radiation of radioactive materials, specific spells (developed by Radiation magicians), and the powers of nuclear spirits may inflict Radiation damage on a living being.
Heavily implies that only radiation shamans can develop the ability to sling radioactive bolts.

I wouldn't say it would leave any damaging fallout, but it should definitely still cause a geiger counter to click more. Flame spell will leave ash, electrical spells will leave marks and hair on end, I think radiation would still leave trace. Definitely something that would cause Military Action in most cases (nuclear materials aren't a joke).

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #6 on: <05-16-12/0456:05> »
Cool; that first quote, Crash, was exactly what I was looking for. I had a feeling something like that was in the rules, because otherwise people would be all over it, but I couldn't remember exactly why I knew that.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #7 on: <05-16-12/1012:36> »

In addition, the radiation elemental damage section specifically says this:
Natural radiation of radioactive materials, specific spells (developed by Radiation magicians), and the powers of nuclear spirits may inflict Radiation damage on a living being.
Heavily implies that only radiation shamans can develop the ability to sling radioactive bolts.

Hmm. Or, you know, that fireball invented by pyromaniac magicians can be used to deal fire damage.

But seriously, I don't think that implies that other magicians can't learn to sling radioactive spells, I just think that only toxic magicians have written the spell, and they don't teach people that aren't in their "destroy the world!" group. I think anyone should be able to write or learn these spells, but few do because of their truly vicious nature. Also, I am fairly certain this spell would be HIGHLY illegal, because generating radiation is not something the authorities want happening in the streets.

As for Missions, though, it is pretty clear you can't, because of what section of the book it is in.