NEWS

Is sim a superset of image link etc?

• 37 Replies

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #15 on: <05-13-12/1518:04> »
Hrmf, found myself creating a table to keep track of all the AR/simrig overlaps, as the early listing was not easy to visualize.

Now to find a place to upload it...
Want to see my flash new jacket?

Ki_Ryn

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <05-13-12/1621:59> »

Sorry I wasn't explicit but I was thinking the commlink and simrig were external (and connected directly to the datajack socket if that matters).  Just trying to keep things simple :)

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #17 on: <05-13-12/1803:27> »
if connected to implanted simrig/link via datajack, situation is the same, because in fact you dont use commlink camera for targetting...Smartgun has its own camera. Commlink just have to recognize that this signal is comming from your gun and is intended to be synchronized with  your visual cortex and perceived as a part of sensory input.

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <05-14-12/0310:53> »
So with a comlink - sim module - datajack setup, it looks like you can perceive the virtual stuff that would otherwise require cyber eyes/ears or glasses/earbuds
Not at all, your commlink has no camera.
Yes it has (p327-328, SR4A).

Well I guess that implanted commlink has at least some features removed :D
Oops, missed the part about it being implanted.
what you dont want a camara and retractable ear buds and roll out keyboad in your head?

RiggerBob

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <05-14-12/0349:36> »
A simsense/simrig module connected by trodes ,DNI (implanted) or Datajack (which is DNI-connected by itself) can induce information directly into your brain as different senses to allow VR and AR. So there should be no need for an Image Link to see AR etc.

Unfortunately SmartLink needs a special SmartLink vision enhancement and a Image Link to be used.

Using a simsense module + DNI instead of Image Link might work (allthough it's not directly written in the rules), but there isn't a "software-version" of the vision enhancement part (technomancers can thread one^^), so your still stuck with using the traditional hardware solution when using Smartlinks.

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <05-14-12/0915:36> »
Having an internal commlink (no need for sim module) which you can access via DNI without the need for any extra input or output devices should suffice to have the smartlink work.

It's my understanding that you would still need a sim module to experience VR, or at least an Image Link and Audio Link to experience AR, even with an implanted commlink.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Lethe

• Omae
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #21 on: <05-14-12/1101:44> »
Having an internal commlink (no need for sim module) which you can access via DNI without the need for any extra input or output devices should suffice to have the smartlink work.

It's my understanding that you would still need a sim module to experience VR, or at least an Image Link and Audio Link to experience AR, even with an implanted commlink.
Yes, you always need a sim module for VR, but not for AR.
Quote from: UN,58
The device sends information that is translated by the DNI interface into something you can understand, though such mental input is somewhat different from physical sensory input. Seeing something in your mind’s eye, for example, is not quite the same as seeing it physically.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <05-14-12/1213:53> »
A simsense/simrig module connected by trodes ,DNI (implanted) or Datajack (which is DNI-connected by itself) can induce information directly into your brain as different senses to allow VR and AR. So there should be no need for an Image Link to see AR etc.

Unfortunately SmartLink needs a special SmartLink vision enhancement and a Image Link to be used.

Using a simsense module + DNI instead of Image Link might work (allthough it's not directly written in the rules), but there isn't a "software-version" of the vision enhancement part (technomancers can thread one^^), so your still stuck with using the traditional hardware solution when using Smartlinks.

My gess that this is only question of time and technological progress. We were able to move from Smartlink contacts implanted in your palm to Smartlink that is just part of your visual augmentation in last 20 years, so IMO this step will logicaly follow quite soon...

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #23 on: <05-15-12/0441:03> »
Ah, so the forum has file attachment. Here is the quick table i made to illustrate the overlap in functionality between simrig, sim module, implants and wearable electronics.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <05-15-12/0613:02> »
 ???

Ki_Ryn

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <05-16-12/1515:04> »

Can one use the full smart gun functionality with just a smart gun and a smart gun link in a set of goggles?

If so, how does all of the thought activated stuff work without any DNI in the loop?

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <05-16-12/1541:04> »
You mean...Eject clip, change fire mode...etc?
That was a good one ;)

Lethe

• Omae
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #27 on: <05-16-12/1543:55> »

Can one use the full smart gun functionality with just a smart gun and a smart gun link in a set of goggles?

If so, how does all of the thought activated stuff work without any DNI in the loop?
You still need an image link in your goggles for displaying the information. Without DNI there are no other advantages.

Ki_Ryn

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: <05-16-12/1731:02> »
I see about the image link, but not about the limited features with goggles.

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #29 on: <05-16-12/2141:04> »
I see about the image link, but not about the limited features with goggles.
the eject clip and change mode free actions comes from being able to just think about it rather than locating and flipping a physical switch. With goggles, there is nothing that can turn thought into action.