NEWS

What is known about the immortal elves and how they came to be?

• 15 Replies

Cranstonvm

• Chummer
  • Dragons everywhere!!!
« on: <05-11-12/1809:50> »
I read something that Lofwyr and his brother had something to do with their creation but not sure if it canon.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

International Dieselpunk day November 12th http://www.dieselpunks.org/ for more information!

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-11-12/1819:07> »
There is a canonical rumor about that.  But that doesn't make the rumor true.

Stry

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <05-11-12/1820:34> »
My understanding is that there is no official lore about how they came to be in  Shadowrun lore, but there is something about it in Earthdawn. 

I could be wrong, my Earthdawn lore is pretty pore.  Although I believe that it was ether they were created to serve dragons (which would explain why IE tend not to like dragons,) or it was part of a spell that to fight off the horrors.

Cranstonvm

• Chummer
  • Dragons everywhere!!!
« Reply #3 on: <05-11-12/1820:44> »
There is a canonical rumor about that.  But that doesn't make the rumor true.

What is the rumor?
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

International Dieselpunk day November 12th http://www.dieselpunks.org/ for more information!

Johnny Jacks

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <05-11-12/1917:32> »
Based on what I remember (and inferred) from Earthdawn, the dragons ruled the world during the Second Age, but knew that they would be forced back to sleep when the mana cycle dipped again. Some of the dragons decided that they needed stewards to look over their empire while they slept. By using their magic to assume Namegiver (metahuman) form they were able to procreate with the "lesser" species, and chose the Elves, as the longest lived, to sire their stewards. As the dragons were shapeshifted at the time, the children were mostly elven, but inherited a few draconic traits such as innate astral sight and long (possibly immortal) lives.

Sometime during the third age the Immortal Elves decided they didn't so much like serving and rebelled. Asserting their independence throughout the Fourth Age (Earthdawn), prompting the dragons to look for alternate solutions which ultimately lead to the creation of the drakes.

Alamais(e), Lofwyr's brother is implied to be one of the dragons that mated with the elves and took their betrayal particularly hard.

Note: This is my interpretation based on things stated and hinted at in the Earthdawn books. I could be very, very wrong.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #5 on: <05-11-12/1951:01> »
That is what I infer, as well. Though Dragons are also a 'Namegiver' race. Just not one of the ones players could take. Dragons mated with elves in order to get servants to protect them. The elves rebelled, and the Dragons decided in council that mating to produce children with the young races would be forbidden in dragon culture, on pain of exile. Note the italics. This does not mean that dragons couldn't mate with metahumans, if they wished, but no kids from it. Which is why Damon hasn't been hunted down for a 'talk' by some of the Greats.

There was a Dragon who went against this decree, and was cast out of dragon society. He mated with humans, to produce a family of servants who would gain him political power. They were rivals and allies of the Elves of the Blood Wood, and tried their best to get the Theran Empire and the Dwarves to fight eachother and wipe eachother out so they would be the major players in the area. Oh, and they were also responsible for the creation of Hydras, and other 'fun' things like that. And it is, possibly, one source for where the Black Lodge's knowledge comes from.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Cranstonvm

• Chummer
  • Dragons everywhere!!!
« Reply #6 on: <05-11-12/2022:17> »
What I did read, was that Alamais(e) Mated with elves which begot the Blood Elves who became Selee court Tir Na Goth. Lofwyr mated with another group and they became TirTairngire which explained how Lofwyr became a Prince there. I think.

Who is Damon?

Who are the Black Lodge?

Stry

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <05-11-12/2149:16> »
Damon is a young adult Dragon that likes to hang out in metahuman fror.  His metahuman form changes appearances, but will always have purple eyes.  He is also known for not being a serious dragon and likes to have fun.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #8 on: <05-11-12/2200:08> »
Actually, from what I read, I think all the Greats, at least, sired some children that way. Mountainshadow (AKA Dunkelzhan) certainly says that there were more than just one or two dragons involved in it in one of his comments in the Earthdawn book on dragons.

Also, for those who are interested, the Drakes were created by Icewing (AKA Ghostwalker), and were originally infertile. Mountainshadow and Icewing did some experiments, and got a version of Drakes that could breed. Which is why drakes are around today, even though the Greats haven't been making them since the Fourth World.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Johnny Jacks

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <05-11-12/2251:32> »
Oh, and I forgot to mention that the immortality stays in the bloodline for a little bit. So not all immortal elves are the direct children or even grandchildren of dragons. While rare, new immortal elves are still born (see Frosty).

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <05-12-12/0407:27> »
Alamais(e), Lofwyr's brother is implied to be one of the dragons that mated with the elves and took their betrayal particularly hard.

Almaise took the disobedience of the immortal elves so badly that his new nickname among the dragons became "Elfbane". As I recall from the Earthdawn book on dragons, Almaise sired the lineage of the immortal elves that ruled Wyrm Wood (note the name), which would later become Blood Wood. But these new elves (who were told how much better they were than other Namegivers, so we might have Almaise to thank for elven egotism) got restless and by the end of the Second World decided to rebel, and Almaise's eldest daughter Caynreth wounded him, giving him a scar that he still has. This made him pretty pissed off, and he basically spent the whole downcycle during the Third World stewing in his anger. Almaise tried to come back and resume his rulership during the Fourth World, but the queen of the Elven Court at the time either didn't know or didn't care and told him to piss off, so he killed her. Almaise spent the rest of Fourth World (or at least, the time up until Earthdawn is set... who knows what happened after that) obsessed with getting Wyrm Wood back. That's on top of his existing bitter resentment towards his brother (not really seen in Earthdawn, but known to Shadowrun players as Lofwyr) for kicking him out of their old home turf in prehistoric Germany. (Basically he's all the ruthlessness of Lofwyr, plus a bitter inferiority complex because he came in second. Be afraid.) After Almaise's little misadventure, the dragon Council strictly forbade crossbreeding with the younger races. (And one of them did get kicked out for trying to father his own army to take over the world.)

(It should be noted that Almaise wasn't necessarily the only dragon involved, but the info in the Book of Dragons was written by the Outcast for his servents/children, and Mountainshadow/Dunkelzhan notes that he'd rewritten history to pin the whole thing on Almaise alone and ignore the fault of any other dragons involved. Like with SR sourcebooks and their Shadowtalk, ED sourcebooks didn't always tell the truth.)

Back in the days of Earthdawn, Almaise was considered antisocial and full of himself, even by dragon standards. He hadn't attended the Council for centuries and was one of the few dragons to openly admit that his goal was to seek power, and was a dragon-supremacist who wanted to rule the younger races (rather than just meddle shamelessly) at a time when such an attitude ran contrary official policy of the Council. As best I can recall, pretty much the only dragons in the region who were more unpleasant were the Outcast and Udun (a.k.a. Sirruag). So you can imagine how nasty he might be in Shadowrun, now that (as the behavior of Sirruag demonstrates) there are apparently no longer any rules restraining them.

Of course, all this only covers how the immortal elves of Wyrm Wood came to be. I seem to recall some implications that there were also immortal elves involved with Thera. If so, I'm not sure what their origins were....

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #11 on: <05-14-12/2311:36> »
... who became Selee court Tir Na Goth.

Irish elves sitting around the mossy glade, wearing all black and plucking harps in mournful songs, bemoaning their fate and contemplating suicide ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <05-15-12/0041:19> »
... who became Selee court Tir Na Goth.

Irish elves sitting around the mossy glade, wearing all black and plucking harps in mournful songs, bemoaning their fate and contemplating suicide ...

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #13 on: <05-15-12/0134:28> »
I'll take the one on the far left, please.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <05-15-12/0223:33> »
... to chat with. Right, Wyrm?