NEWS

Music that makes you think of shadowrun or could be from shadowrun.

• 19 Replies

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« on: <05-03-12/1507:53> »
Post music that makes you think of shadowrun or you think could be from from the sixth world.

I will start us off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1QUZzeZoPQ

Every time I hear this song I imagine a team of shadowrunners on there last mission and they are pinned down by heavy fire from a mega cooperation's and crime organisations working together to kill them. Then they go out with fight shooting and dancing though the gun fire as they take as many as they can with them.
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--

Netzgeist

• Ace Runner
  • Serpens, nisi serpentem comederit, non fit draco
« Reply #1 on: <05-03-12/1542:01> »
"The End of All You Know" from the Ghost in The Shell Stand Alone Complex Soundtrack (okay, that was an obvious one).

I can't help but imagine a hacker character thinking on his deeds... while his conciosness in being turned into a cyber-ghost.

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« Reply #2 on: <05-03-12/1557:41> »
"The End of All You Know" from the Ghost in The Shell Stand Alone Complex Soundtrack (okay, that was an obvious one).

I can't help but imagine a hacker character thinking on his deeds... while his conciosness in being turned into a cyber-ghost.
I can so see that :D

When I let my GM hear this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5U4k6BIOgc&list=FL5CQ4C0gtIpAuoaxUv3nIjA&index=12&feature=plpp_video
He said he could see a hacker having his programs that monitor data traffic of a city and as the traffic goes up the drums kick in to let him know the natives are restless.
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #3 on: <05-03-12/1929:50> »
"Inner Universe": Also from Stand Alone Complex. Epically awesome track that fits both in-universe and as a soundtrack. The lyrics (subbed into the AMV) are also quite significant to Shadowrunners... which, of course, makes all sorts of sense.
"Lithium Flower": Again with SAC. Really, anything from Ghost in the Shell or its sequels/spinoffs is going to be perfect, since the only significant style difference between Shadowrun and GitS is lack of magic.
"Bad Company": The 5-Finger Death Punch version. The extra level of aggro in the arrangement, compared to the original, really sells it for me. Plus, c'mon, you can't tell me a line like "Chose a gun and threw away the sun" doesn't tie in with Shadowrun.

---

Dubstep in general fits great with the theme of the Sixth World, but here's a trio of tracks by Skrillex that have videos that "illustrate" the music in ways I think are particularly appropriate for the theme:

"Bangarang": Some street kids jacking an Icecream Man and then graduating to jacking what look like bank-robbers. End of the video, one of the kids gives a briefcase (presumably full of money) to the Icecream Man from the first sequence.
"First of the Year (Equinox)": Pedophile follows a cute little girl down into a basement. Turns out she's either possessed or something like a Free Spirit. Needless to say, it doesn't end well for him.
"Ruffneck - Full Flex": A burnt-out, pill-popping Santa Claus dealing with a bunch of screaming kids, then getting chased by (and beating down) a posse of thugish security guards. I could easily buy it as a Street Sam or Adept that Ran for too long without making The Big Score, but still has a few doses of Badass left in him.
« Last Edit: <05-03-12/1934:19> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Starglyte

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <05-03-12/2140:58> »
The Blade Runner and the Ghost in the Shell movie soundtracks.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #5 on: <05-04-12/1239:18> »
This one comes up a lot, doesn't it? I should can my answer, but I won't. Stuff I've been listening to as I write my latest SR story:

Darker U2 -- "Silver and Gold" and "One" have seen some heavy rotation. Also Johnny Cash's version of the latter. Spooky stuff, what Cash did with that song.

Speaking of the Man in Black: His versions of "Hurt" and the aforementioned "One" have turned up a lot. Quite a lot of Cash gets into this; there's something about his voice that lends metric tons of atmosphere to my writing.

A lot of Asia, old and new. Boatloads of Queen, especially The Game, which is home to the song which gave teh story its title, "Sail Away Sweet Sister."  Queensryche, especially Operation: Mindcrime and Empire. The first album from Evanescence. The soundtracks (and scores) for The Matrix and xXx.

A lot of music that I think works for SR gets me funny looks from other players. And writers.
« Last Edit: <05-04-12/1252:16> by Patrick Goodman »
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #6 on: <05-04-12/1242:45> »
"Bad Company": The 5-Finger Death Punch version. The extra level of aggro in the arrangement, compared to the original, really sells it for me. Plus, c'mon, you can't tell me a line like "Chose a gun and threw away the sun" doesn't tie in with Shadowrun.
The original lyric is even better: "Chose the gun, and threw away the sword."
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

NinthSphere

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <05-04-12/1530:33> »
Abney Park - Too Far to Turn Back
Abney Park - The Wrong Side

It doesn't help that I've been looping Abney Park in the background while I read SR stuff.

Curmudgeon

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <05-04-12/1907:37> »
I listen to a lot of darkwave when reading Shadowrun books and playing. The Cure, Joy Division and She Wants Revenge.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #9 on: <05-04-12/2148:32> »
Elvis Costello- Complicated Shadows
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <05-04-12/2238:15> »
Anything hard, fast, and loud. DJ mixes, some metal, plenty of hip-hop, various eras of good rock, soundtracks, etc.

“If you're gonna pick a song to be from the future, why pick Dreams by The Cranberries?!” — Sound of My Voice (2011)

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #11 on: <05-04-12/2246:48> »
  Queensryche, especially Operation: Mindcrime

Since this was pretty much the soundtrack for Shadowrun 1st edition, it bears repeating.

Since this was pretty much the soundtrack for Shadowrun 1st edition, it bears repeating.  Again.

Since this was pretty much the soundtrack for Shadowrun 1st edition, it bears repeating.  And again.

Since this was pretty much the soundtrack for Shadowrun 1st edition, it bears repeating.  And again.

:)

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <05-04-12/2254:24> »
Someone smack Bull. He's skipping again.

Fallen_Raven

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <05-04-12/2338:05> »
Veteran of the Psychic Wars- Blue Oyster Cult

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #14 on: <05-04-12/2343:06> »
Someone smack Bull. He's skipping again.
That's one Bull I'm not taking by the horns, you smack him!

That's what happens when an optical chip gets too scratched up, however.  He's never been the same since that explosion...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11