NEWS

The graceful exit

• 19 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« on: <04-28-12/1128:00> »
So we've all been there. Maybe with Shadowrun, maybe with some other game. Regardless of circumstance, you've been playing for a while, but you've got to leave the game. Maybe you don't like how the DM runs it. Maybe they don't want you there. Maybe RL intervenes. Maybe something else happens entirely. The whys and wherefores don't matter for this discussion. Long and the short is, you're leaving the game, and it is probably likely you won't be gaming with that DM/group again.

Now, we've all been tempted to give them a double dose of the one-finger salute, include a few comments about their intelligence/body stature/parentage/hygiene, and in general make them feel like they just got out of a comedy show where they made the mistake of annoying the comedian, who then filled the rest of their five minutes with nothing but you. But let's be honest, that isn't the best way to do things, is it? So in line with the 'what would you tell a new player' threads, what are your tips for making the graceful exit from the game. Keep it classy, now.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #1 on: <04-28-12/1150:55> »
Personally, it depends on the group. For some I've been involved with, the classy, graceful exit is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY over-rated.

For those that merit it, a simple, "Guys, it's been cool, but things are changing and it's not working for me anymore. Let's finish this thing up in awesome fashion, but then it's time for me to jet," seems to work for me.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <04-28-12/1240:01> »
I use the "it's not you, it's me" approach usually. Filled with some flowery nonsense about life other piorities getting in the way... And considering my profession, it's not hard to make that a reality too :)

"sorry guys, but a new contract came our way and the boss needs me to work some OT for the next few weeks. And I could really use all the extra $1000 a cheque. It's been a slice, but you know how it is...."

Or

"hey guys, it's been great but, the GF is starting to feel a little abandoned so I have to start spending some more time with her or find a new place to live.... It's been great"

Luckily I have a great group of players and haven't had to bow up of the group in many years. It also helps that we have been gaming together since the invention of paper :D
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

bangbangtequila

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <04-28-12/1242:44> »
I'm typically on lay by Post games, so when it comes to it, I can just count on someone else not posting for three days, say "Boy, this seems to have died, shucks." and go my merry way ::)

Lethe

• Omae
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #4 on: <04-28-12/1246:53> »
Depends on the reason why you have to leave. If you really liked it and wanted to stay, but other more important stuff will keep you from it and its in a long campaign, you might have a talk with the GM to have a great showdown for your character, ending with his death or retirement.

If you cant bear to play another session, just be honest and say that you imagined something else. Maybe some honest criticism to the individual players or the GM in private. Not everything can work out well, they should accept that.

Henzington

• Omae
  • Stun rounds+Edge=Lethal
« Reply #5 on: <04-29-12/1143:03> »
i myself enjoy my group but a friend of one of them wanted to join and then became and issue thankfully his schedule changed before we had to talk to him.
Whenever I am at a loss for I should do, I ask myself what would Michael Weston do?

redwolf

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <04-30-12/0255:27> »
go my brother way "the doc said no more" :'(
yes i'm red and it's not blood, and no i'm no comy i'm just red, so are you going for that pis' or going away!!!

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #7 on: <04-30-12/0354:25> »
Ok, to summarise:

Scenario One: Leaving due to External Factiors
Description: Group is good, but external factors, usually known as Real Life has intervened and you must leave the group.
Suggested Actions:
  • Inform Gm (and group) as early as possible
  • Make a decision on how you want  your character treated post-leaving. eg Retired Contact, Go out in a Blaze of Glory, Ally turn Nemesis, etc
  • Maybe have a last mission which resolves the character's plot lines (as much as possible) and gives the character a bit of a send off
  • leave on a positive note, keep in touch etc

Scenario Two: Leaving due to Internal Factors
Description: Issues have arrisen in the group.  Sh*t happens, the game's style of play is not what your looking for, definitions of hygene dont mesh,  the GM has a cat and your allegic... etc.
Suggested Actions:
  • If situation is not too tense, raise with the person causing the issue, see if it can be resolved...
  • Either inform the GM in person or via a nicely worded email that you are leaving.  Dont act out in the game (character self-destruct), take the moral high ground.
  • Use a non-confrontation reason.  If real reason is sensative, choose the 'real life' excuse.
  • leave on a positive note, don't keep in touch etc

It can be hard, but I think its easy for a player to leave then a gm to boot an offending player.  Often issues are either too sensative or are irritating, but not really personal.  Eg.  If a GM and Player have different concepts of the game or ways to run the game (the cinamatic inclusive vs competitive, wargame style, gritty vs high powered, detective vs guns blazing, etc), it can be very difficult.  Niether will be happy with the style of game being played, but neither is playing the game 'wrong', nor is there anything offensive (at least dileberatily).  Just two different styles of play.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #8 on: <04-30-12/0435:30> »
Díky, čau!

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #9 on: <04-30-12/0538:20> »
Díky, čau!

'Thanks bye'

Short and sweet.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #10 on: <04-30-12/1010:51> »
Barrage of bullets.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <04-30-12/1017:07> »
I've only left one game in real life, I just got up and walked out.
It was cancelled immediately before the next session also.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #12 on: <05-04-12/0740:21> »
^ Were you the GM? ;)

Problem I had with leaving my table group is that I actually -really- had no more time IRL due to kid, wife and a second kid on the way. So I wrote a polite mail explaining the situation and expressing that I'd miss the game...
The GM just thought I was making up excuses and was leaving for other reasons, didn't end so well :(

So I say "Boo" to people making up excuses, just be honest. It can be done without being rude or insulting.

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <05-04-12/1046:33> »

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <05-05-12/1030:54> »
In my experience, short, simple and truthful works best - treat them how you'd like to be treated in turn.  I realize it sounds a little cliched, but it's always worked for me.

AJC