NEWS

Any shadowrun books talking about illnesses in the sixth world ?

• 11 Replies

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« on: <04-20-12/0702:12> »
Are there anything shadowrun books talking about illnesses in the sixth world ?

I mean with meta humanity now are Elves immune to the flu or maybe tolls don't get the common cold ?

Also being that the comets change humans did it change viruses and other microscopic things in them ?

Are there any pandemics in the sixth world like the bird flu or worse ?
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <04-20-12/0717:19> »
See all references to VITAS.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <04-20-12/0854:27> »
That is Viral Induced Toxic Allergy Syndrome.  Does that mean that it makes you allergic to toxins (more so that usual)?  Or does it give you an allergy syndrome which is toxic? 

redwolf

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <04-20-12/0946:53> »
the 2
yes i'm red and it's not blood, and no i'm no comy i'm just red, so are you going for that pis' or going away!!!

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-20-12/1004:55> »
Has anyone explored the implication of that?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <04-20-12/1454:23> »
Mostly they've been trying not to die when it swept through the world like the Black Death three times. There may have been some research into the hows and whys, but two computer crashes and 'oh crap there are dragons now' have probably buried it deep.

My Characters

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <04-20-12/1719:14> »
Notice how Devil Rats are immune but carriers.  Rats can't vomit, which is why they are so easily poisoned.   I suspect that this may be the basis for the VITAS  disease.  But the key thing here is that it was 1) broad based virus and 2) it induced an allergic response.  That means the viral mechanism can use a wide variety of hosts, which makes culturing very easy.  It also means that it can fundamentally change the human immuno-response system.  While its current version affects it adversely, that doesn't mean it can't be modified to have beneficial effects.  Properly tailored, such a virus can be very useful and inexpensive to produce.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #7 on: <04-20-12/1730:45> »
Notice how Devil Rats are immune but carriers.  Rats can't vomit, which is why they are so easily poisoned.   I suspect that this may be the basis for the VITAS  disease.  But the key thing here is that it was 1) broad based virus and 2) it induced an allergic response.  That means the viral mechanism can use a wide variety of hosts, which makes culturing very easy.  It also means that it can fundamentally change the human immuno-response system.  While its current version affects it adversely, that doesn't mean it can't be modified to have beneficial effects.  Properly tailored, such a virus can be very useful and inexpensive to produce.

And weaponized.
Just WHAT was aztecnology making up on the space station? And what other corps are messing around with biologicals? Scary stuff, biological weapons. they work great in the lab for 10000 things the egg-heads thought of but the moment they are released, mother nature throws a curveball that them. Suddenly their 'inert after 72hrs vitas' IIIa strain is now 'inert after 72 months and 30% world wide causalites'
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <04-20-12/1744:31> »
Other nasty things that were originally supposed to be 'controlled' bugs:

FAB III - Was supposed to die off in a few days. Ended up feeding on the local astral, and there are still some clouds around today.

Crash Worm - The thing that started off the original Crash. Little bugger was unleashed on a corp to test its effectiveness. Turns out the thing decided it didn't want to stop after destroying the core servers of that one corp.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #9 on: <04-20-12/2014:40> »
Crash Worm - The thing that started off the original Crash. Little bugger was unleashed on a corp to test its effectiveness. Turns out the thing decided it didn't want to stop after destroying the core servers of that one corp.
Crash Virus was in the original Crash of 2029.

The Crash Worm was in Crash 2.0, and was named Jörmungandr.  FastJack taught it to heel.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #10 on: <04-21-12/0227:24> »
Augmentation pages 129-134.

Rules for viruses, ailments, and biowarfare agents.

All nasty, all the time.  ;)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #11 on: <04-21-12/1035:35> »
Including another reason to practice safe sex!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11