NEWS

Using a grapple hand in combat..

• 6 Replies

fatpirate

• Newb
« on: <04-19-12/1432:04> »
Unlike the grapple gun, a grapple hand has the ability to grab on to things, like faces.

To pull myself somewhere during combat, or to pull an opponent to myself, what sort of actions and tests would that require?

Thanks

bangbangtequila

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-19-12/1443:13> »
Get Over Here!

Nebular

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-19-12/1641:56> »
Well, there are no written rules for it, but it's one of those things that's amusing enough to let players try. :) Here's how I'd work it:
  • The initial attack would be one Complex Action. Make the standard Exotic Ranged Weapon: Grapple Gun Test to strike the opponent. The opponent gets their usual chance to evade the attack. If it connects, the attack does no damage but it immediately grabs on. (I'd say no damage since you're using the hand in a way it's no intended and you'd be firing it open-handed so you can grab instead of close-fisted to strike)
  • If the ranged attack was successful (as part of the same Complex Action), follow the rules for Subduing (SR4A 161) and grappling an opponent. For the PC, they would only get the STR of the limb/hand instead of their overall STR since it's the hand that's grabbing on. As per the rules, this subdual attack doesn't cause any damage to the defender.
  • On their next Complex Action, the character can make an attack to knock down as described in the bullet points for Subduing: The Knockdown rules are on SR4A 161 and the PC gets the Superior Position bonus. In this case I would use the attacker's overall STR instead of the limb's STR since the PC can put their whole body into the jerking motion to drag the defender down or over to them.
  • Follow the rest of the Knockdown and Grappling/Subduing rules as normal
For pulling yourself up to somewhere, I'd say after making a Exotic Ranged Weapon: Grapple Gun Test to grab the target you could just use the Climbing Active Skill using the limb's STR instead of the character's overall STR as per the standard Climbing rules.
Need a SR4 character generator? Grab the latest version of Chummer, or check out the Chummer discussion for more information!

Henzington

• Omae
  • Stun rounds+Edge=Lethal
« Reply #3 on: <04-19-12/1842:47> »
I have a question from a practical reasons.  If the idea is to knock people down why not just charge the person and get a +2 bonus to the melee attack?
Whenever I am at a loss for I should do, I ask myself what would Michael Weston do?

fatpirate

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <04-19-12/1935:05> »
I have a question from a practical reasons.  If the idea is to knock people down why not just charge the person and get a +2 bonus to the melee attack?

This is for roleplaying mostly, in which case I wouldn't want it to be more powerful than your standard options; however, if that was your intention, you could pull an enemy into a hazard (maybe down off a rooftop).. There are probably plenty of abusable interactions.

Thanks for the input Nebular, that is the sort process I had in mind. I'll need to come up with some more specifics for my GM, but it's good to know I'm on the right track.

Here are some other ideas;
  • A test that determines if they pull to me, I pull to them, or both.
  • Can I grapple (behind) someone and use the momentum towards them as a charge?
I think I'll use the rappelling action for this.

Chances are I'll just go ahead with this and take it easy with the interactions.
« Last Edit: <04-19-12/1955:48> by fatpirate »

Henzington

• Omae
  • Stun rounds+Edge=Lethal
« Reply #5 on: <04-19-12/1940:44> »
thats fair enough.  And got to love those railing kills.
Whenever I am at a loss for I should do, I ask myself what would Michael Weston do?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #6 on: <04-19-12/2005:31> »
Only thing I can think of are the following:

The grapple hand in theory has enough strength to pull you up the side of a building, so it's pretty strong... But that's very different then pulling someone parallel to you off there feet (how fast does it pull you 'up' anyways??)

What happens if  you use it on someone who is securely planted (say by a 1/2 wall) or someone vastly stronger then you? (augmented troll) do YOU get pulled off your feet and drug along the plascrete walkway/over the roof?

From an RP stand point it could be pretty amusing :)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.