NEWS

Shadowrun 4E and Earthdawn connections?

• 162 Replies

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #45 on: <04-24-12/2037:28> »
Do you realize that implies there could be several hundred other boxes full of crazy shit sitting in a vault in Lower Manhattan?
If the DF hasn't moved it already.
True, but the main point is "hundreds of other things like whatever is in this box that might only be destroyed by at least a gigantic microwave blast furnace."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #46 on: <04-25-12/0319:38> »
Shadowrun SR4A and Earthdawn Connections?

Check out the Shadowrun Missions 04-00 "Back In Business".  Just ran it for my group, and I just realized something very...  Interesting.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Cranstonvm

• Chummer
  • Dragons everywhere!!!
« Reply #47 on: <04-26-12/1642:43> »
Something has been bugging me about where Dunkie awoke... why in Canada? If Earthdawn was set in Ukranie how and why did Dunkie end up in Canada?
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

International Dieselpunk day November 12th http://www.dieselpunks.org/ for more information!

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #48 on: <04-26-12/1648:05> »
Dunk awoke in Colorado. He later took up primary residence in Canada. One would assume it's for similar reasons as to why Ghostwalker and Hestaby now reside in North America. Dunk and GW were the most powerful Barsaivan greats, so ...

It's in the same category of unanswered questions as "Why did a bunch of immortals decide to establish their new country in friggin' Oregon?"
« Last Edit: <04-26-12/1649:38> by James Meiers »

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #49 on: <04-26-12/1651:28> »
Do you realize that implies there could be several hundred other boxes full of crazy shit sitting in a vault in Lower Manhattan?
If the DF hasn't moved it already.

Guess that last Adventure from current session is called Battle for Manhattan. I uess that would be more CC oriented, but still...

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #50 on: <04-26-12/1720:36> »
It's in the same category of unanswered questions as "Why did a bunch of immortals decide to establish their new country in friggin' Oregon?"
I'd wager it had something to do with the fact that Cherynoble means Worm Wood in the local tongue. Something tells me there's a bit of a background count there.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #51 on: <04-26-12/1735:00> »
Something has been bugging me about where Dunkie awoke... why in Canada? If Earthdawn was set in Ukranie how and why did Dunkie end up in Canada?
Of the little we know about Americas in the Earthdawn era, the most significant thing probably is the use of blood magic by feathered serpents and the war that broke between them as a result. It seems the local dragons agreed to use blood magic to fight off the Horrors. But a war broke out between two groups: those who used the blood magic on a very large scale to repair the whole land and regrow the rain forest, and those who taught blood magic to metahumans to create an army against the Horrors. Each side accused the other of using too much blood magic and being manipulated by the Horrors. Dunkelzahn, Ghostwalker and Hestaby may have come to the Americas to help one side or maybe for peace talks of some sort.

The first group was the basis of what could become the Amazonian nation. The second one, by their teaching, laid the foundation of the sacrificial rites in American culture, like the Aztec rites revived by Aztechnology (which kinda answers which side was manipulated by the Horrors) but possibly also the Pacific Northwest potlatch for instance.

That would also give a reason why Dunkelzahn seemingly was more aware of the Horrors threat in the Sixth World and more active in fighting Aztechnology than the other Great Dragons in the Sixth World. Also, Ghostwalker probably vowed to keep South Platte River (or any geographical feature that existed prior to the Denver sprawl) free from Corruption, explaining why he got so mad to see Aztechnology there.

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #52 on: <04-26-12/1845:15> »
I'd wager it had something to do with the fact that Cherynoble means Worm Wood in the local tongue. Something tells me there's a bit of a background count there.

Actually it refers to the mugwort grass that grows in the area.  Wormwood was a misnomer by a non-native speaker.  If you want to go conspiracy, that non-native speaker may have been an immortal who misspoke and then covered it up.  He may have said 'Wyrmwood' referring to the pre-scourge Bloodwood of Earthdawn.

Cranstonvm

• Chummer
  • Dragons everywhere!!!
« Reply #53 on: <04-26-12/2358:41> »

I always believed the elves grabbed Oregon because it was the best land that no one would miss when they started their country. Being immortal elves they either figured out the treaty of Denver who gets the land, manipulated all sides to the point they wanted, or prophecy clued them in where the treaty might split the land.

In Oregon one side is ocean, other side has good river for many uses, and 2 decently defendable sides.

Best available land.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

International Dieselpunk day November 12th http://www.dieselpunks.org/ for more information!

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #54 on: <04-27-12/0012:05> »
Two words: Crater Lake.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #55 on: <04-27-12/0014:47> »
It's not like there's a transcontinental power line that dumps into Cra ...

Oh, wait. There is.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #56 on: <04-27-12/0641:59> »
Oh, and let's not forget that large parts of Oregon were still in fairly good environmental conditions. The pacific northwest was polluted, sure, but not to the extent the east coast was. Combined with Crater Lake's significance, and geographic features that made for good defense, it was a good choice. Especially since with everyone's eyes on Denver, they could do the 'out of sight, out of mind' routine.

In other connections, I was rereading the old SOTA books, and came across a mention of a the Sagan Zaba (White Rock) on Olkahon Island. Supposedly haunted area, where a cave is supposed to have suddenly appeared, with evidence of habitation going back thousands of years. Remind anyone of the Deep Lacuna?
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #57 on: <04-27-12/0647:46> »
Supposedly haunted area, where a kaer is supposed to have suddenly appeared, with evidence of habitation going back thousands of years.

Fixed that for you.   :D
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #58 on: <04-27-12/0851:16> »
Makes me wonder if Alcheras were used as one of defense lines in kaer grid...

Simagal

• Chummer
  • Credo Quia Absurdum
« Reply #59 on: <04-27-12/1514:07> »
The elves took a chunk of prime real estate from NAN, if it had been a piece of UCAS things might of been different.   
Andrew Grim