NEWS

Role Playing in the Universe

• 12 Replies

Cranstonvm

• Chummer
  • Dragons everywhere!!!
« on: <04-17-12/1652:16> »
I think this would be the right spot for this question.

Does Battletech the game exist in the Shadowrun universe? And visa versa? The level of technology in each universe could make some interesting simulations and AR could really add to the games.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

International Dieselpunk day November 12th http://www.dieselpunks.org/ for more information!

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-17-12/1716:10> »
The Seattle Sourcebook, page 39, mentioned the BattleTech Arena in the Pacific Science Center.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <04-17-12/1936:14> »
Hard to say, my Battletech knowledge is low.

Isn't Battletech set in the far, far future 39+ century???

Do they ever mention elves, orks, trolls, or dwarves in any Battletech product?? (not any I remember reading!)

What about magic????

Hmmm my guess would be seperate universes, same designers
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Stry

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <04-17-12/2056:08> »

Do they ever mention elves, orks, trolls, or dwarves in any Battletech product?? (not any I remember reading!)

What about magic????

A few years ago they did an April Fools cross over called Best Ever.

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #4 on: <04-17-12/2248:35> »
As mentioned, the Shadowrun universe does include BattleTech as a VR game playable at various game centers (much like it can be IRL).

Presumably in a world of AR and wireless, the game is no longer restricted to these VR centers.
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <04-17-12/2317:18> »
Out of curiosity, what's your concept to integrate the two?  I think it would be far easier to add a BT simulation to SR...not sure about going the other way (though my understanding of non-BT tech within the setting is a little limited).

AJC

Cranstonvm

• Chummer
  • Dragons everywhere!!!
« Reply #6 on: <04-18-12/1532:00> »
Out of curiosity, what's your concept to integrate the two?  I think it would be far easier to add a BT simulation to SR...not sure about going the other way (though my understanding of non-BT tech within the setting is a little limited).

AJC

1st thing that came to mind is expensive but, get some sustaining foci with illusion spells on them and people actually become battlemechs. Like those life-size chess sets  from history of the world. Find a park and have fun. It could be done far cheaper with augmented reality and you could literally use the entire city as a map.

2nd thing I was thinking which would be probably even more expensive and might not be possible but build  life-size replicas of the Mechs that actually work and use them that way.

3rd thing would be using magical or technological holograms in your own place to make it look like a command center for a Mech and connect with other people through something like Skype.

Things could get quite interesting if somebody has the technical computer cyber where in their head. :-)

As for the other way around  in battletech I think some of the worlds, more advanced worlds, have augmented reality, I think. You could do augmented reality shadowrun where you can look like an actual troll and sling spells to augmented reality. Role-playing games might be quite popular because of the desire to check out of the real world because conditions in battletech.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

International Dieselpunk day November 12th http://www.dieselpunks.org/ for more information!

Cranstonvm

• Chummer
  • Dragons everywhere!!!
« Reply #7 on: <04-18-12/1533:39> »

What about magic????

A few years ago they did an April Fools cross over called Best Ever.

I saw that one I was kind of hoping they would've put the statistics of going up against a great Dragon with the battlemech. It was a good read though.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #8 on: <04-18-12/1534:49> »
I want to play BattleRun now.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Cranstonvm

• Chummer
  • Dragons everywhere!!!
« Reply #9 on: <04-18-12/1545:46> »
I want to play BattleRun now.

It would be fun explicitly watching Dragons ripping apart my enemies battlemechs :-)

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <04-19-12/0747:40> »
1st thing that came to mind is expensive but, get some sustaining foci with illusion spells on them and people actually become battlemechs. Like those life-size chess sets  from history of the world. Find a park and have fun. It could be done far cheaper with augmented reality and you could literally use the entire city as a map.

2nd thing I was thinking which would be probably even more expensive and might not be possible but build  life-size replicas of the Mechs that actually work and use them that way.

3rd thing would be using magical or technological holograms in your own place to make it look like a command center for a Mech and connect with other people through something like Skype.

Things could get quite interesting if somebody has the technical computer cyber where in their head. :-)

As for the other way around  in battletech I think some of the worlds, more advanced worlds, have augmented reality, I think. You could do augmented reality shadowrun where you can look like an actual troll and sling spells to augmented reality. Role-playing games might be quite popular because of the desire to check out of the real world because conditions in battletech.

Interesting...still struggling with the "why", but then that's the great thing about an RPG...one can pretty much do whatever one wants... ;D

AJC

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #11 on: <04-21-12/2321:52> »

Well, as said before, BT is a VR (probably now AR) game in the world of Shadowrun.  However, as I recall, there's a recent canon adventure that has something very much like a battlemech being battle-tested in Desert Wars -- more as a PR stunt than anything, but there you go.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Icy

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <04-24-12/0932:20> »
This is a question which is related to another thing that came up in a discussion with a friend: What real world literature, movies or in that case RPGs/Tabletops exist (or have existed) in the Shadowrun world? For example: The timeline split happened after Gibson's old books came out. So do they exist? Or the whole cyberpunk subculture? Must be a funny read when your world is exactly like what some science-fiction writers foretold 90 years ago. Another interesting question related to science-fiction literature is what it looks like in 2073. I kinda imagine it like Eclipse Phase, because that is kinda where the technology is going with nanotech, geneware and SPOILER ALERT:

[spoiler]and recently uploading (Evo's Dickens Program and Transys' Project Imago)[/spoiler]