NEWS

Blowing a wall out in front of moving motorcycle..

• 16 Replies

Mara

• Ace Runner
« on: <04-17-12/0236:59> »
So, as a fan of the Pink Mohawk style, I sometimes think of fun visuals.
I got this funky one in my head recently, that is also a Classic.

Imagine: You are in the middle of a gunfight in a warehouse. Suddenly a wall blows out and through the smoke
a motorcycle roars  through the hole(a split second after the wall blows out)...

How would you do that: a) With magician on the bike? b) with a Street Sam/Adept on the bike?
Remember, to do it effectively, it has to be done on the fly, no prep work, no planting of charges(the bike has to be
moving the whole time!), and done all by the rider alone.

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-17-12/0337:45> »
Lone Star and now KE have drones that will latch on to aircraft that haven't filed flight plans and conduct illegal flights.  These drones can be detonated but they generally don't do that over populated areas.  If you have access to that sort of drone, you could send it forward and latch on to the wall.

Moral Wiz

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-17-12/0423:10> »
Simplest answer would be a grenade with a short fuse, or set to blow on impact. I doubt a warehouse wall will be overly strong, especially a run down warehouse.

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #3 on: <04-17-12/0524:22> »

The best part is, that in several Hollywood movies you can actually reload it  ;D
They are fairly easy to fire and with a little practice it should be possible to use them in one hand - they are not that heavy or unwieldy.

Not really effective against modern tanks but still functional against unarmored vehicles and a lot more fun to carry than this here:

Rasmus
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-17-12/1958:29> »
1.  mage = powerbolt/ball, you could go with a indirect spell for a bit more flash but that is a lot more drain.  Enough drain where if the guy can soak it he my be more than a bit much for the situation. 

2.  By the rules a full burst from a FA SMG would do 20DV to a wall, that should take out a lo of warehouse walls.   And he idiocy of a bunch of bullets from a smg knocking a large hole in a wall is kind of 80s movie/pink mohawk like. 

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #5 on: <04-18-12/1513:06> »
Hmmm

Mage:  wreck 'wall' spell could punch a hole large enough to drive a bike through and be low enough drain to be feasible... As someone said, a powerball spell may also work. Stay away from fireball or the like... If you glitch the roll you could end up with 'chunky salsa' spell blow back.... Just before you kiss the wall!

Sammie(rigger,etc): grenade launchers mounted On the bike may do the trick ESP the MGL-12.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #6 on: <04-18-12/1529:14> »
Make a LOS version of the Looking Glass spell.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <04-18-12/1832:04> »

2.  By the rules a full burst from a FA SMG would do 20DV to a wall, that should take out a lo of warehouse walls.   And he idiocy of a bunch of bullets from a smg knocking a large hole in a wall is kind of 80s movie/pink mohawk like.

My only issue with a machine gun would be that it would really only turn the wall into Swiss cheese. The average SMG round is a 9mm (meaning the bullet has a 9milimeter diameter) and some are less so! Load in EX-EX ammo and the diameter MIGHT reach 1.5 cm (how much explosive material can you really put into a bullet anyways??) so even if you could perfectly line up every single shot the blow open the widest possible hole, you would be looking at sound 50-60cm max..... (and that is a 30round burst)

Hence why a grenade launcher... Even then it might be a 2-3 round job...

Course if you want that really big movie feel.... A troll with a gyro mounted, backpack fed mini-gun firing APDS ammo should be able to "cut" a door into the wall within an imitative turn or two. (2 to 4 seconds.... 4 IP a turn X 1-2 turns) and his gyro mount and huge strength (if using optional recoil rules) combined with a smart link should let him carve a straight bead with the rounds..... Just don't expect to have the jump on anyone inside :) fear of god maybe.... But not surprise

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #8 on: <04-18-12/2124:53> »

ITS Gonryu = Full-Auto Grenade Launcher

MGL-16 = Burst-Fire w/ MRSI software.

They exist. ;D
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #9 on: <04-18-12/2130:43> »
I wrote up something here: http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=6954.0

Basically, you could drive through the wall, no problem. Doesn't have the visual impact of blowing the wall out, but there ya are.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <04-19-12/0031:51> »

My only issue with a machine gun would be that it would really only turn the wall into Swiss cheese. The average SMG round is a 9mm (meaning the bullet has a 9milimeter diameter) and some are less so! Load in EX-EX ammo and the diameter MIGHT reach 1.5 cm (how much explosive material can you really put into a bullet anyways??) so even if you could perfectly line up every single shot the blow open the widest possible hole, you would be looking at sound 50-60cm max..... (and that is a 30round burst)

Course if you want that really big movie feel.... A troll with a gyro mounted, backpack fed mini-gun firing APDS ammo should be able to "cut" a door into the wall within an imitative turn or two. (2 to 4 seconds.... 4 IP a turn X 1-2 turns) and his gyro mount and huge strength (if using optional recoil rules) combined with a smart link should let him carve a straight bead with the rounds..... Just don't expect to have the jump on anyone inside :) fear of god maybe.... But not surprise

I don't disagree with how it should work, but how it works by the game mechanics is different.  Full auto from a ingram smartgun does 20DV to a wall and blows a big ass hole in it.  A high explosive grenade does 10DVx2 so 20DV as well assuming it does not scatter away or anything.   The big difference is extra hits scale the damage up form bullets, grenades have static damage in 4A and extra hits past reducing the scatter to 0 do nothing. 

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <04-19-12/1738:26> »

I don't disagree with how it should work, but how it works by the game mechanics is different.  Full auto from a ingram smartgun does 20DV to a wall and blows a big ass hole in it.  A high explosive grenade does 10DVx2 so 20DV as well assuming it does not scatter away or anything.   The big difference is extra hits scale the damage up form bullets, grenades have static damage in 4A and extra hits past reducing the scatter to 0 do nothing.

Reading an online info sheet for SR and shooting at/through barriers, I can see where you are coming from...

Reduce the structure and armor to 0 = a 1 meter hole in the object.

Guess I have spent too much time in the real world firing at targets on plywood/gib rock backings to really see it though. I have fired everything from .22 shorts to .378 wetherbee mags at the target stand and only replaced the backing like 5 times in 10 years. So we are talking 100s of rounds of ammunition into a 2m X 1.5 m area.

Mind you it does get pretty 'soft' after about 100 rounds. (you would be able to kick through it pretty easily if that was your goal)

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <04-19-12/1805:59> »
Once again, 4th ed may have changed things.  But to destroy a wall in earlier editions you had to exceed the barrier rating with the BASE damage of the weapon.  And while you could shoot THROUGH a barrier, using bullets to damage the barrier were not very effective.  While I'm sure there's some sort of change in 4th, I would advise that you read those rules very carefully and make sure that the rule you're citing specifies both bullets and deals with base damage before burst.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <04-20-12/0137:52> »
Once again, 4th ed may have changed things.  But to destroy a wall in earlier editions you had to exceed the barrier rating with the BASE damage of the weapon.  And while you could shoot THROUGH a barrier, using bullets to damage the barrier were not very effective.  While I'm sure there's some sort of change in 4th, I would advise that you read those rules very carefully and make sure that the rule you're citing specifies both bullets and deals with base damage before burst.

Just got a chance to read my digital 4th Ed book on barriers.

You modify damage VS barriers (walls) in this fashion;
Bullets = DV 2.(per bullet) vs barrier armor X2 AP ignored
Explosives = reg DV X2 vs barrier armor
Missiles = reg DV X3 vs barrier armor

So it takes alot of bullets to chew up the structure of wall to make a 1m hole!! (which it should really)

Pages for my digital copy are pgs 157-158
Anyone know if it's been errata'd?

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <04-20-12/2108:02> »
The problem is a full burst is 10 bullets or 20DV which is the same as a high explosive grenade vs a barrier.  You get 2 hits on your shooting test and its a 22dv with the smg, but still 20 with the grenade.  So yeah it takes a lot of bullets, but a lot of guns can spew out a lot of bullets.  Bullets chew through a lot of barriers by the rules.  Unless there is a reason I have to stick to RAW, I change that rule up front.