NEWS

Armor focus and spells

• 5 Replies

Inconnu

• Omae
« on: <04-04-12/1919:20> »
Armor focus- Adds force to ballistic and impact armor, after halving, and counts for astral armor but not encumberance

Unknown price, perhaps same as weapon focus?

Separate (material)
Essentially removes somthing from somthing else. IE a health nut with Separate MSG, or a desert nomad purifying water.
Was thinking of drain depending on material.

Ice/fire/air/earth weapon-Creates a weapon out of said materials.Damage is str/2+Force+material modifier. Ice has a 2, fire 4 and fire element, air -2, earth +3. Only earth is permananet, the rest are sustained, although earth is just+3 once you drop the spell. Hits must equal force, fire and air weigh nothing, though fire is a touch hard to hold...
Drain depends, again, on material.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <04-04-12/2006:24> »
Armor focus - It is called a Sustaining Focus, holding an Armor spell sustained, or an Astral Armor spell, for use on the Astral.

Other than that, I'd say no. Part of the balancing act of Awakened types is that they don't have as much armor as a loaded up street sammy, meaning bullets and such hurt them more.

As for the spells, I would say no on making the drain depend on the type of material. That's not done anywhere else in Shadowrun, and doesn't follow the spell design guidelines in Street Magic. Also, for the weapon, don't change the damage level based on the material.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Inconnu

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <04-05-12/1317:16> »
Ok, it just seemed kinda logical that it'd be harder to seperate iron froma mountqain, fr'instance, than water from seawater.
Also, it seemed to me that the material damage thing made sense, but kk.

crisses

• Chummer
  • You're out of my mind.
« Reply #3 on: <04-06-12/0738:29> »
Actually, I think there's a precedent if you use an opposed test vs. Object Resistance.  i.e. seawater would be different from a mountain then -- and a mountain different from a concrete wall versus a pile of dirt.  This would affect the number of net hits you get, thus affect perhaps the "amount of material removed" from the object.  Or perhaps the net hits affects the rating of the weapon created from the material.  Obviously if there's no net hits, the spell is ineffective.  The basic point is, such as in native american philosophy -- EVERYTHING is "alive" or imbued with essence/spirit, and thus even non-living objects can resist your magic.

There's also, I believe, some historical precedent for at least the separate material spell.  The only game-balance issue I can tell is that it takes a judgement call on how much of X material is even available in Y object.  Actually, there's one more issue:  Line of sight.  Pulling iron from a mountain -- unless you're right near an iron ore deposit, you would never affect the entire mountain, so what amount of iron would you pull from the mountain?  You need a creative & resourceful GM who would be able to make this call on-the-fly...  how much mountain is "one object"?  How much seawater?  You certainly could not desalinate the whole ocean.  However, desalinating a bucket of water -- perhaps.  I don't think that's imbalanced.  Perhaps even a swimming pool worth of seawater...

How much of this is teleport or telekinesis would have to be decided.  If you separate water from seawater -- what's the receiving receptacle?  How does it get from Point A to Point B?  Do you need 2 buckets?

So I'd say this would need more thought on the mechanics -- it would have to "make magical sense".  Exactly how is it doing it?  It can defy scientific explanation, but must follow the "rules" of manipulation spells.

As for pulling iron from a mountain with one spell, then creating a sword with it -- as 2 separate spells -- I'd make net hits also represent the quality of said weapon.  At 1 net hit, you have basically an iron bar.  At 2, a crude sword.  Nothing to write home about.  At 3, you'd have a passable sword.  At 4, a good sword.  etc.  From there, perhaps use the Shadowrun stats for normal swords with perhaps a modifier on the amount of damage it does (-2 for 1 net hits, -1 for 2 net hits, 0 at 3 ... with a max of +1 over the damage of a normal ShadowRun sword?). 

Would this be a sustained spell effect or permanent magic?  That would be one of the big factors in drain.  Frankly, I'd be more inclined to allow this "make crude weapon from stuff" spell if it were sustained.  If you learn anything about real swords (Inconnu: I know you watched at least one sword documentary, so you can't dodge this...), they are much more complicated than simply fusing together a bunch of iron molecules.  If you melt iron and pour it into a mold in the shape of a sword -- that is one of the world's weakest/most brittle and crudest weapons ever -- not to mention susceptible to rust and unlikely to hold an edge....

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #4 on: <04-06-12/0750:58> »
Good thoughts, but for one of those questions there is an answer. To determine what volume of material is affected, use the force of the spell the same way you figure combat AoE areas. Just plug the radius into the formula for a sphere's volume and Bob's your uncle.

That way means there can be an "extended" version, too. ;D
« Last Edit: <04-06-12/0753:41> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <04-07-12/1018:13> »
I think elmental damage over ride normal damage in hand to hand damage. Using elmental aura as a example does spell damage on strike not spell damage +hand to hand unless i missing something. You could modify that spell to creat the elemental weapons you are thinking of. Be easer to adapt and place it in line with the something already in the game.

Register