NEWS

Installing and upgrading wireless connectivity.

• 4 Replies

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« on: <04-04-12/1801:33> »
So, anyway... Say someone set up shop in the Barrens, and managed to get a nice fortress setting for the entire group. Is there anything in the rules, like in Unwired, for setting up and upgrading connectivity to the Matrix in a place that has no such signal rating, or unreliable signal rating? Like, a permanent mounted microwave satellite uplink on the roof? It would be nice to know prices and such, or if such a thing is even possible in the SR world. Matrix connectivity seems to operate a bit like wifi, but with better ranges (in some cases...). Of course, then having set that up, it'd be kind of fun to broadcast in the middle of a Barrens area, and charge a tiny fee for people to be able to connect if they had the gear. Be almost like an outreach program. But, two separate servers moving data through the uplink. One for the outreach program, and another for the runners group, with the runners having uplink priority... Shoot me some ideas, maybe some page numbers if I'm just chasing my tail here. This seems like it would be a fun way to have the group "hooding" during downtime.
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-04-12/1814:25> »
Well, commlinks can talk to each other.  You could get a powerful one, or a network of commlinks, set up at one hub location.  Then hook into a landline that may have been left over from before the crash.  That then runs to a location hosted by the regular wireless matrix. 

Someone would have to hack into your network (or subscribe).  And then they would have to hack the matrix link at the other end of the line.  Then they'd be hooked up to the matrix.

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #2 on: <04-04-12/1826:57> »
Bah, that's jury-rigged crap. You know every corp out there has their own dedicated server node. I'm talking about setting up something like that, only not AAA Megacorp levels. Maybe just a B rated local corp type server.

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-04-12/1828:16> »
Oh.  Well just take over a Mafia factory then. 

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #4 on: <04-04-12/1834:18> »
No, that's still a work-around. The rules in question would help, because if you know how to upgrade connectivity, then you know what causes degradation as well. Would really help when hitting the corps if you could do a bit of pre-run sabotage to their Matrix connectivity, giving you access because you know where you screwed them up, while their spiders have to work around being blind in certain areas of their own facility. It's a fun idea to tinker with. I might have to come up with some house rules for it.