NEWS

Alphaware question

• 6 Replies

Leevizer

• Omae
« on: <04-03-12/0840:07> »
If I have, for example, alphaware custom cyberleg, what parts do I need to pay double for?

A) Only the leg part (30K nuyen)
B) The leg part, and the modifications to it, as in leg part and Agility +1. (33K nuyen)
C) The leg part, the modifications to it, and all the add-ons, as in leg part, agility +1 and then hydraulic jack at rating 1 (35K nuyen)

This is pretty important so that I know if my Street Sams legs will cost about 70K, 90K or 110K

Crash_00

« Reply #1 on: <04-03-12/0854:06> »
Unless it changed and I haven't noticed it, everything slapped onto an aphaware cyberlimb or sense replacement (eyes and ears) has to be the same grade as the base unit. This makes taking such replacements at higher grades extremely expensive at character generation. I generally suggest against it and recommend getting alphaware for other items if you desperately need the essence. Keep in mind as well that you will likely be tossing that limb out for a much more customized one in the future, so spending a huge chunk of money on getting it alpha just to replace it probably isn't the most efficient use of resources.

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #2 on: <04-03-12/0856:51> »
Cyberware and bioware is available in four grades: standard, alphaware, betaware, and deltaware. Only standard and alphaware may be purchased at character creation. The prices for cyberware and bioware presented in this chapter are for standard ’ware. When purchasing implants of other grades, apply the Essence Cost and Cost adjustments as noted on the Implant Grades table (bottom right).
Note that cyberware accessories must be of the same grade as the implant they are added to.
SR4A p. 313.

Regards
Rasmus
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

Leevizer

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <04-03-12/0907:47> »
Unless it changed and I haven't noticed it, everything slapped onto an aphaware cyberlimb or sense replacement (eyes and ears) has to be the same grade as the base unit. This makes taking such replacements at higher grades extremely expensive at character generation. I generally suggest against it and recommend getting alphaware for other items if you desperately need the essence. Keep in mind as well that you will likely be tossing that limb out for a much more customized one in the future, so spending a huge chunk of money on getting it alpha just to replace it probably isn't the most efficient use of resources.

I don't know why I would be replacing a cyberarm with pretty much all stats maxed out?

And the problem is that just having three limbs cybered is going to cost 3 points of essence. Add wired reflexes and that's 5 points. Then you'll be left with 0.99 points to use on other things, and making that stuff alpha isn't helping much... Although no matter what I choose, I'll be left with approximately 0.1 essence.

Crash_00

« Reply #4 on: <04-03-12/0922:48> »
A cyberlimb starts with an availability of 4. It has three stats: Body, Agility, Strength. Assuming you're human (best case scenario for this example), you're max in all three of those stats is a 6. When you buy a Customized Cyberlimb, it starts with a 3 in all three stats, and you must increase them individually, with each addition adding a +1 to the limbs availability. As a human you can actually start with a Body 6, Agility 6, Strength 5 customized limb. You're only losing one point from your strength here. Any other race, you're going to have to sacrifice more in some areas to get other areas at there cap.

Now, you could ask, what is the advantage of having my strength/body that high on the limb. Strength of 6 is useful in that it gives you a point of natural RC with that arm. Body being maxed of course helps increase you overall body (an average of each limb plus your torso's rating). You could slap in some strength enhancement, but you'll probably want to save that for more agility/armor/goodies.

In your example, I would highly suggest alphawaring the Wired Reflexes 2 over any of the limbs. On a similar note, Biocompatibility:Cyberware can really help out.

Leevizer

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <04-03-12/0929:55> »
A cyberlimb starts with an availability of 4. It has three stats: Body, Agility, Strength. Assuming you're human (best case scenario for this example), you're max in all three of those stats is a 6. When you buy a Customized Cyberlimb, it starts with a 3 in all three stats, and you must increase them individually, with each addition adding a +1 to the limbs availability. As a human you can actually start with a Body 6, Agility 6, Strength 5 customized limb. You're only losing one point from your strength here. Any other race, you're going to have to sacrifice more in some areas to get other areas at there cap.

Now, you could ask, what is the advantage of having my strength/body that high on the limb. Strength of 6 is useful in that it gives you a point of natural RC with that arm. Body being maxed of course helps increase you overall body (an average of each limb plus your torso's rating). You could slap in some strength enhancement, but you'll probably want to save that for more agility/armor/goodies.

In your example, I would highly suggest alphawaring the Wired Reflexes 2 over any of the limbs. On a similar note, Biocompatibility:Cyberware can really help out.

What books is biocompability in? I only own the SR4 rulebook and Runner's companion so far...

And scratch all that alphaware stuff. I just had managed to halve my 0.15 essence sleep regulator down to 0.7 instead of 0.07, which explains why I had issues with my wares...

And I don't know, I like having agility 9 legs for all those pesky running tests. And even if it IS the average of every limb, having 2 of them at 9 help out worth a few points in any case?

Crash_00

« Reply #6 on: <04-03-12/0943:07> »
Biocompatibility is in Augmentation.

Running is STR based, but even so, if you aren't 100% focused on starting out with maxed out ware you can save a lot of money (to be spent elsewhere by only focusing on raising things as much as you need.

For example, for 53.2k you can pick up 2 customized cyberlegs with Body 6 (3+3 Enhancement), Agility 9 (6+3 enhancement), and Strength 6 (3+3 Enhancement). Cheaper by about 10k if you go with obvious cyberlimbs. Then you can worry about replacing them with maxed out models after the game starts.

Save money from trying to max them out and roll it into a synthcardium 3 (30k .3 essence) that will add +3 dice to all your athletics tests and you're back where you were for running, but get +3 to things that aren't related only to your legs as well (climbing, tumbling, etc.).

Remember that your BP are worth a lot more than a bit of nuyen in game.