NEWS

One general license

• 9 Replies

Leevizer

• Omae
« on: <04-03-12/0813:53> »
So if I understood correctly, you need licenses for all kinds of stuff.

Say that I have a Street Sam with a concealed pistol, ton of cyberware and so on, can I just give her one license for, say, a bodyguard, and just use it in place of a concealed carry, cyberware and pistol permissions? Or can I have myself a fake Lone Star ID?

Crash_00

« Reply #1 on: <04-03-12/0850:11> »
The core book seems to follow the philosophy that every restriction requires a separate license, so you'd need one for each gun, augmentation, etc. Similarly, Bounty Hunting is a restricted Profession so you'd need a Bounty Hunter's License in addition. Some GM's prefer to keep license more class based where you buy one license for all things of a type. For instance, you'd have a Firearm License, an Augmentation License, etc.

Really it's best to ask your GM how they run things. In home games I'm really in more of a mid-point. I'd allow Licenses for broad categories of certain things (for example a Personal Firearms License to cover standard non-BF/FA Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles), but other things would be on a per item basis (BF/FA firearms, security/military armor/enhancements, etc.).

Leevizer

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <04-03-12/0855:26> »
Yeah, I can see that, but if we think from a realistic point of view, say, if you're on the streets and a Lone Star patrol sees your gun, I think that flashing your concealed carry permit will be enough instead of actually proving your license for the actual weapon... Unless we're talking of digital checks, in which case you pretty much need to have every license possible, rule-wise.

Crash_00

« Reply #3 on: <04-03-12/0912:26> »
In 2072 it's all pretty much assumed to be digital. In the US today there are several states where you have to have both your Concealed Carry License on your person and your Registration Card for the weapon you're carrying, proving that you have registered it with your local precinct. The way things are going, and with the ease that digital checks make things, I don't really see it getting more lenient in the dystopian future. At least not anywhere that Lone Star/Knight Errant are going to bother patrolling.

Lone Star would work off of a Business License system which are very different at their core. Most likely they would just pay X¥ per employee that is considered licensed, but that employ is only considered licensed while on the job. It's how a lot of states work the licensing systems today. Of course, there is the benefit that in many states getting licenses is easier through a business (even if it's your business and you're the only employee of said business) than getting them personally.

Lethe

• Omae
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #4 on: <04-03-12/0938:59> »
if you're on the streets and a Lone Star patrol sees your gun, I think that flashing your concealed carry permit will be enough
If Lone Star sees your gun, a concealed carry permit wouldn't be enough, because it wasn't really concealed.

Crash_00

« Reply #5 on: <04-03-12/0946:33> »
When I was in college a guy got his license and decided to conceal carry his pocket .380 to class one day (yes, despite the course for the license drilling into your head that campuses are one of the several places your license does not allow you to carry a gun at). He got arrested during his second class, not because the police officer noticed it, but because so many students had called in about him having it. How you fail to conceal a pocket .380 I have no idea.  :o

Of course with ultrawideband radar, it is fairly possible they could "see" your concealed pistol through your clothes.

Makki

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <04-03-12/0947:17> »
So if I understood correctly, you need licenses for all kinds of stuff.

Say that I have a Street Sam with a concealed pistol, ton of cyberware and so on, can I just give her one license for, say, a bodyguard, and just use it in place of a concealed carry, cyberware and pistol permissions? Or can I have myself a fake Lone Star ID?

Bull, who is in charge of Missions, stated that you approach is reasonable an allowed in Missions games. Don't have the reference at hand. One could search dumpshock for his posting...
One bodyguard licence covers all. Saves cash and bureaucracy.

Leevizer

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <04-03-12/1003:42> »
One bodyguard licence covers all. Saves cash and bureaucracy.

And I think it makes things for easier for both players and game masters... Now we just need a job that covers having modified body, lethal weaponry and so on...

Crash_00

« Reply #8 on: <04-03-12/1030:16> »
Thread with Bull's Posts

It doesn't actually say that a Bodyguard License would cover all of them, just that he breaks it into categories (so a firearm license would cover all your restricted guns), but that he usually takes another license that gives him a reason to have all these licenses. Bodyguard seems to be a pretty normal one, but private investigator, security contractors, etc. are also viable.

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <04-03-12/1158:05> »
Some restricted stuff requires an occupational license to justify getting the permit to carry/use said restricted item.  Corporations are also more likely to be granted permits since they have more oversight. 

I helped one of my players work out a sort of complicated legal scenario.  There was him, the private citizen/retired Army Ranger whose contract was sold to Ares.  That's a legitimate UCAS SIN.  Then he's got a corporation under a pseudonym.  That single person corporation is issued a SIN by Ares and is operating as a subsidiary, technically a franchise, of Ares Macrotechnology.  If he does very well, he'll get bought out and engulfed into one of Ares' other subsidiaries like Hard Corps or Knight Errant.  If he does poorly, he gets cut loose as a rogue company and all support and funding gets yanked.  In the meanwhile, he can operate in the shadows as a probationary franchise.  When he operates, he can go by the name of the company and everything ties back to that corporate SIN, which may or may not be released by Ares at their discretion.  He, the retired Ranger, has some cyberware and bioware, which rather than getting yanked out, was left in as the retirement package and the permits for that is covered by the UCAS government while in UCAS territory (including Seattle).  Inquiries into those tag back to his real SIN and throw red flags at the DoD.  He, as the Ares franchise has a license to operate as a detective and bodyguard.  Authorization for those licenses get certified by Ares.  Those license fees have to be paid to the Port Authority of Seattle.  That grants him the right to operate as a bodyguard and private detective within the Seattle Metroplex.  Since it is an Ares SIN, Ares collects some income tax from his operations.  If he pays himself, then he's got a UCAS income tax to pay.  In any case, the Franchise has permits to carry firearms and each weapon needs to be registered.  The Franchise also has permits to carry/use surveillance equipment. 

That all seems pretty convoluted and complicated, and that is partly intentional.  He's got a lady friend corporate shark that has structured the whole thing and if there is any sort of issue with permits, there is enough complications and a lawyer's phone number thrown in that a beat cop is just going to push the matter above his paygrade.