NEWS

Need official information - Why do Technomancers have a System rating?

• 11 Replies

jonathanc

• Omae
  • All cruelty springs from weakness.
« on: <03-29-12/2317:47> »
Apologies if this is a repost - I recall asking this a long time ago somewhere, but I can't find that thread anywhere. So, basically, everything that a System rating does is done by something else for a technomancer. Don't believe me? I don't blame you, so lets go to the books. All quotes are from SR4A:

Quote from: Page 222
System limits the rating of programs running on the device, and sets the limit on most devices for the number of programs that can be run without a Response drop.

. . .

System also sets the size of the Matrix Condition Monitor of persona
programs running on the device

Quote from: Page 239
...technomancers do not have a separate Matrix Condition Monitor. Instead, they use their own Stun and Physical Condition Monitors. Matrix damage is treated as Stun damage to a technomancer.

. . .

Any number of a technomancer’s complex forms can be used without affecting Response.

Quote from: Page 240
A complex form’s base rating may not exceed the technomancer’s Resonance.

So, this brings to mind a two questions:

1. If Technomancers don't have a matrix condition monitor, all of their CFs can be running at once, and their complex forms have a max rating based on resonance, what does System do for a Technomancer?

2. Are Complex Forms limited in rating by BOTH Response AND System? This could be inferred from the way things are worded, but it seems kind of harsh.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-30-12/0142:11> »
First thing that comes to mind off the top of my head would be defense tests in cybercombat. You roll System+Armor against the Attack Program.

jonathanc

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-30-12/0153:28> »
I think you mean Damage Resistance, but it's a good point. I always thought cybercombat was kind of a waste for Technomancers, to be honest. They can easily thread their Stealth up high enough to make system alerts highly unlikely.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #3 on: <03-30-12/0327:55> »
I think you mean Damage Resistance, but it's a good point. I always thought cybercombat was kind of a waste for Technomancers, to be honest. They can easily thread their Stealth up high enough to make system alerts highly unlikely.

And any TM worth their salt will have at least one Paladin Sprite ready to block for them until they can get the job done and bail if they do get caught.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-30-12/0503:11> »
Number of subscriptions?  Starts to degrade other stats, IIRC.  Also, in case anyone tries to hack your biological node.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <04-03-12/1408:47> »
Number of subscriptions?  Starts to degrade other stats, IIRC.  Also, in case anyone tries to hack your biological node.

>.> don't suppose they could hack all your memories away, or delete anything while their in there could they? o.O'
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

squee_nabob

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <04-03-12/1459:09> »

>.> don't suppose they could hack all your memories away, or delete anything while their in there could they? o.O'

Unwired mentions that your bionode is different from your brain and no, no memories are stored on your bionode. It specifically has no storage either, so nothing can be stored there.

jonathanc

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <04-03-12/2018:44> »

Unwired mentions that your bionode is different from your brain and no, no memories are stored on your bionode. It specifically has no storage either, so nothing can be stored there.
Right, so nobody would ever hack your biological node, because there's no reason to do it. I'm not sure about the subscriptions....I'm not sure  Technomancers have to worry about that stuff either.

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <04-04-12/0600:38> »
Too many subscriptions borks your Response, which in turn borks your Matrix Initiative.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

squee_nabob

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <04-04-12/0814:00> »
Too many subscriptions borks your Response, which in turn borks your Matrix Initiative.

I believe you are thinking of running too many programs which TMs do not have problems with. Persona Subscriptions are a hard cap of System x2.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #10 on: <04-04-12/1017:25> »
In Cybercombat, resisting an Attack program is done with Sensor+Armor.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

jonathanc

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <04-04-12/1157:41> »
In Cybercombat, resisting an Attack program is done with Sensor+Armor.
No, that one was actually correct: You resist damage from an attack program with System + Armor (SR4A, p.237). So that's at least one use for System as a Technomancer.