ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #15 on: <03-29-12/1557:12> »
Three BPs...i like it, +1 to you

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <03-29-12/1558:29> »
I've actually been somewhat curious about how you're using armored cyberlimbs; are they directly additive? If so, where are those rules? I thought armor on cyberlimbs was like strength or body; you used the higher number in a situation where the limb was in direct use, but otherwise you used the average of the limb and the person's body, since both were in effect?
So it's actually a huge mess.  The whole "use the limb/average the limbs" thing only apples to attributes which doesn't include armor.  Thus while an enhancement, cyberlimb armor isn't an attribute and doesn't ever get averaged.  With the lack of hit location rules, it's typically assumed that it stacks with overall armor and thus adds to one's "all-around" armor score like the other ware providers of armor like orthoskin and bone lacing.  The strongest argument that cyberlimb armor stacks is that the lower levels of Dermal Sheath explicitly only covers a section of the body and yet is implied to provide all-around armor. 

Now the argument if cyberlimb armor is too good or not likely belongs in another thread.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #17 on: <03-29-12/1741:52> »
Building in Chummer, you have to do the 'per item' version of the licenses.

Actually, if you click in the box you can type in whatever value you want, so you can just put in "Cyberware" or "Guns" or "Fugitive Retrieval Agent" or whatever.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <03-29-12/2048:08> »
Building in Chummer, you have to do the 'per item' version of the licenses.

Actually, if you click in the box you can type in whatever value you want, so you can just put in "Cyberware" or "Guns" or "Fugitive Retrieval Agent" or whatever.

Oh. I stand corrected then. I didn't realize you could enter something not on the list given. Though it isn't a bad idea to still buy licenses like that just in case whoever you play the character under does things in that manner.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <03-30-12/0942:10> »
The rule I went with for getting people Fake License: Augmentation (which is what I used for that) is that they have it if they have visible R ware - like cyberlimbs with Enhancements, for example. It's not a terrible idea to have a Fake License for the Wired Reflexes/Reaction Enhancer; since they are R and not F. Suprathyroid Gland, oddly enough, is F, but it's extremely hard to find that you have it.

Umaro's Ghost is a very well built character, but it is a character built to fulfil a very particular role: ranged combat, stealthy movement, and close-quaters buttkicking as a sideline.  To put it in the very stark terms of Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition, the Ghost is a Striker, or is general MMO paralance he is ranged DPS.

This is the typical role of the "street samurai" in Shadowrun, but note also that Ghost, with his Charisma of 3, Etiquette 1, and no social disadvantages isn't going to be terribly bad at social interaction. Sure, you don't want him to be the one negotiating the payment with Mr. Johnson, or the guy social engineering his way past the receptionist at Tonites Target, Inc... but, if you play him as the "stong, silent type" who can stand next to the Face while he or she does his thing, he'll do fine. The ideal level of social ability for a street samurai is three BP's: Be Polite. Be Professional. Be Prepared to kill every motherfrakker you meet.

This is a pretty good summary. The Ghost isn't going to actually help with things like social skills, but won't actually cause trouble either.
« Last Edit: <03-30-12/0957:55> by UmaroVI »

Noctem

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <03-30-12/1402:28> »
Thank you all for your comments and even the further explanations for the cyber armor stuff.  I can at least bring that to my DM's attention and explain it to him.  We're all kind of new to the SR scene so it's a learning experience for all of us.  I'm also less worried now that my build would cause problems.  I will be playing the character as a female ex special ops military type which pretty much covers the smiling chick, silently looking around who has a semi auto pistol and is ready to kill everyone in the room.  Excellent ! :D
Non nobis Domine
Sed nomini tuo da gloriam.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <03-30-12/1632:32> »
As has been mentioned, a key trick to really "grok" skills inShadowrun is too look at the total dice pool.  What I like to do is use the chart in SR4A, p. 119, as a guidline... if we assume the average person has a "3" in a relevant Atrribute and add the Skill Rating value from the chart, we get a good comparisson. A total dicepool of 5 is going to show a "solid grasp of the fundamentals, but shaky on more complex yet still routine procedures," whereas a total  dicepool of 9 or 10 is "maximum skill level for “rank-and-file” unnamed ... characters." For example:

Social Example: Skill Rating 2 + Charimsa 3: First-line supervisor, door-to-door salesman.
Social Example: Skill Rating 6 + Charimsa 3: Presidents and other heads of state, CEOs.

Firearms Example: Skill Rating 2 + Agility 3: Trainee in police academy or military boot camp.
Firearms Example: Skill Rating 6 + Agility 3: Individual superstars amongst elite forces.

This means someone with a great natural apptitude (High Attribute) and minimal training (Low Skill Rank) is going to be on equal footing with a person of average talent (Modest Attribute) and a good deal of training (Middling Skill Ranks) or a person with zero aptitude (Low Attribute) and exhaustive training (High Skill).
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

Noctem

• Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <03-30-12/1700:07> »
I actually have a question regarding the build.  What exactly does the Simrig do ?  I looking it up in the core rulebook under page 328 but I don't see any actual benefit from the listed text:

"An advanced version of the trode net, the simrig records simsense experience data (both physical and emotive) from the wearer.  Simrigs incorporate a sim module."

Does this have to do with the contacts, glasses and micro sensors ?  Also how would I use the micro sensors during play because my DM will probably ask me how these things work in combat and out of combat.

Non nobis Domine

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <03-30-12/1710:37> »
I actually have a question regarding the build.  What exactly does the Simrig do ?  I looking it up in the core rulebook under page 328 but I don't see any actual benefit from the listed text[.]

The primary reason the Ghost (and most of Umaro's archetypes) are equipped with simrigs and extra sensors is tied to the benefits granted by Tactical AR Software (aka, Tacsoft) which are detailed in Unwired, p. 124-127.  If your group does not use, or does not have access to, Unwired then you might be better off dropping the simrig and sensors for other gear... although, the core SR4 rulebook does suggest GMs grant bonuses to teams that akes extensive use of networked sensor feeds (TacSofts just take this optional suggestion and codify it).

The Laser Rangefinder and Motion Sensor have pretty clear applications in combat: they tell you where the baddies are so you can put bullets in them. The Radio Signal Scanner is used for detecting wireless networks, so that you can find `em so you can hack`em. If you stuck with Umaro's build, they are all skinlinked so the data will be fed directly to your field of view via the Imagelink eyewear. Think of the "HUD" that almost any first-person shooter will give you these days, your character has that in Shadowrun thanks to AR, smartlinks, and whathaveyou.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

Noctem

• Chummer
« Reply #24 on: <03-30-12/1832:00> »
hey thanks for your quick reply to my question hehe :)  I looked up the info at the page you listed and combined with the explanation you gave, I understand it a lot better now thanks.  Just to make sure I get it, could you give me a scenario example of when I would use those items ?

Edit:  Also, how concealable are the Secure Tech armor pieces ?  Could I wear it under the rest and not have it show ?  Or should I only wear that in combat situations ?
« Last Edit: <03-30-12/1929:06> by Noctem »
Non nobis Domine

Noctem

• Chummer
« Reply #25 on: <03-30-12/1940:56> »
sorry for the double post but I've written out some character stuff and figured maybe you guys could tell me what you all think.

Description:

Noc is 5'7", has green eyes and a serious personality.  She has fair skin and looks like she could use a little sunlight.  She often has her hair dyed, currently pink colored.  She wears glasses, though she does not actually need them (see glasses).  In order to hide her eye color she wears contacts that change them to a light blue (see contacts).  Noc is usually silent during meetings, though if prompted she will talk.  She has a very good intuition when it comes to how best to approach things such as meets, combat, and other tactical situations.  She weighs around 150 pounds and has a well trained physique, though nothing visible.  On the outside, when needed, she will show a smiling woman who is out-going and cheerful.

She usually wears a business suit with either slacks or a skirt depending on the occasion.  Underneath she, at all times, has a Form-fitting Full Body Suit.  In addition if the situation calls for it she will add a set of Secure Tech armor.  For weapons she will always carry a Yamaha Pulsar Taser and her Morrisey Elan in a concealed holster.  Depending on what she is doing she will add her combat proven Ruger Thunderbolt.  If the situation has a chance to become a heavy combat situation she will put her MGL-6 and/or Ingram White Knight to good use.

She is not a trusting person.  She is a mercenary of sorts and does what she must in order to survive.  She is hard headed and does not follow someone elses lead well.  Though if the situation does not fall under her expertise, she will differ to someone else.  Years of training with first the military and then the SOTF have hardened her resolve and given her a Will of steel.

Background:

She was picked up early in her military career by the Special Operations Task Force (SOTF) for advanced training in infiltration, assassination and urban combat.  She was first deployed in low yield operations where her tasks were primarily infiltration and monitoring.  However one such mission was compromised when the low priority asset she was tasked to follow turned out to be the real leader of a smuggling and assassination network.  Her orders were immediately changed to acquiring and removing the target from play.  She completed the mission by entering the targets home and firing two bullets into the man's head.  From that point on she was given high priority assassination missions.

5 years later, during a mission in New York, Noc learned that a fellow SOTF operative was secretely involved with a top tier asassination network.  This operative had been an ardent rival of hers over the years, the operatives codename had been Diem.  However before she could relay this information to her superiors, Diem framed her.  Having the choice between death and going rogue, she decided that survival was what she wanted more.  She became a shadowrunner after almost two years of hiding.  Having had to abandon all her resources when she left SOTF, she is currently not able to actively look for Diem.

Concept:

A Ghost.  She is an extremely capable Infiltrator.  She has very high training with Pistols and especially Semi-Automatic Pistols.  She has solid training with Heavy Weapons as well though she has yet to focus on a particular type (will be Assault Cannons).  Her Genetic Augmentation provides her with a high skill with most Firearms. 

She has a Synthacardium which allows her to perform extremely well in Athletic situations even though her physique is not always suited.  Her muscles do however have extensive Muscle Toning which give her an almost unnatural agility.  While most of her augmentations are Bioware, she had Wired Reflexes and Reaction Enhancers installed.  Fake licenses are used for both.

Her years of military and SOTF service have given her high Cyberware and Bioware implemented into her body.  She now uses it for survival.  Her time with the SOTF also identified low tier contacts within various organizations and networks that she managed to use to acquire weapons, ammo and gear.

Notes:  ( I used this to list current goals / quests )

Has completed 1 mission so far with the group.

Diem's current whereabouts are unknown.  No known description.  The files that linked Diem to the criminal organization do not have a description.  They do however give a record of Diem's dealings with them.  The organization is currently still in operation and supposedly have Diem's protection.

SOTF is currently hunting for Noc.  The description they have of her is black hair, green eyes, tanned skin, 5'7",  140 pounds.  They have her entire medical history, records on file.  The SOTF has declared her a rogue agent, and has issued a kill on sight order to all agents.

Currently known as Noctem to other shadowrunners.  Background is vaguely known to the group of shadowrunners she is currently with.  They know she was military, they know she had a falling out.  They know not to ask questions.

-----

Thanks to any who post about this or the questions above. :)
« Last Edit: <03-30-12/2101:33> by Noctem »
Non nobis Domine

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <03-30-12/2032:08> »
hey thanks for your quick reply to my question hehe :)  I looked up the info at the page you listed and combined with the explanation you gave, I understand it a lot better now thanks.  Just to make sure I get it, could you give me a scenario example of when I would use those items ?

Edit:  Also, how concealable are the Secure Tech armor pieces ?  Could I wear it under the rest and not have it show ?  Or should I only wear that in combat situations ?

The obvious example would, be, say the Motion Sensor and range modifiers. You might want to know exactly how far away you are before deciding whether to use a wide or narrow burst (based on how much range penalty you'd be taking).

SecureTech PPP comes in the form of discrete stuff that you wear under your clothing. That is indeed the idea; you should wear it all the time.

Noctem

• Chummer
« Reply #27 on: <03-30-12/2056:52> »
awesome !  Thanks a lot for your help UmaroVI.
Non nobis Domine

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #28 on: <03-30-12/2106:39> »
Also, how concealable are the Secure Tech armor pieces ?  Could I wear it under the rest and not have it show ?  Or should I only wear that in combat situations ?
SecureTech PPP comes in the form of discrete stuff that you wear under your clothing. That is indeed the idea; you should wear it all the time.

Depending on your GM, though, you might need to buy two separate sets, one set that's worn under other pieces of gear that are listed as Clothing or Armored Clothing, and another set that is worn over gear listed solely as Armor.

They're cheap enough, though, so it's not a big deal. Not like having to buy a second Transys Cybernaut. ;)
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <03-30-12/2132:10> »
Depending on your GM, though, you might need to buy two separate sets, one set that's worn under other pieces of gear that are listed as Clothing or Armored Clothing, and another set that is worn over gear listed solely as Armor.

They're cheap enough, though, so it's not a big deal. Not like having to buy a second Transys Cybernaut. ;)
If that's the case, just wear a hat.  Then discrete PPP pieces will automagically become wearable since they will be located beneath your hat.  And since a hat is 0/0 you're fine with encumbrance.