NEWS

Twilight Horizon

• 20 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« on: <03-29-12/0655:44> »
So enough time has passed since Twilight Horizon came out, that I think it'd be a good idea to discuss some of it. However, because I know some of you Luddites only get the books in dead tree form, I'll put my thoughts in spoilers. Because I'm nice like that.

[spoiler]What exactly is the power of the SLC Special? It is supposedly similar to a power focus that may burn a mage out, but how does it work? What potency is it? And how does it risk burning out the mage?

So, several layers of the Consensus's firewalls have been breached. The Technomancer Massacre may have ended the protests in LVM, but Legion is definitely on the right track to cracking that nut. The question is, what will they do with the Consensus once they reach it? Edit it? Delete it? Subvert it with an AI?

Clockwork and Netcat are getting closer to a final conflict. The feeling I get is that the only reason Netcat hasn't moved before now is she doesn't want to be the first member of Jackpoint to actually hunt down and kill another Jackpointer, but it is fast getting to the point where these two are going to have to have it out. As the TM crisis heats up again, they are going to go at it head to head, that's for sure. The only question is when, and what will be the spark that keys off the final confrontation? And will it be a mission, like rescuing Puck, or a 'cut scene', where you see Netcat gloating over Clockwork's brain in a jar, without even a commlink, much less programs.[/spoiler]
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

shrike

• Chummer
  • The rep is dead. Long live the rep.
« Reply #1 on: <03-29-12/0716:03> »
[spoiler]As far as the SLC Special goes, I view it as a mana amplifier. At this stage of the Cycle of Magic, metahumans can only channel a certain level of mana due to the availability of ambient mana. I see it kind of like this: mana is like electricity with metahumans acting as a fuse. Too much electricity and the fuse blows.

As far as the consensus and TMs, I think some of them will want to use it as a kind of "See how you like it, bitches!".

Just my two nuyen.
[/spoiler]
Imar heron. Imar raen. Imar semeraerth. Imar milessaratish. Miriat tela li? Thiesat tekio tore li?

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #2 on: <03-29-12/0731:56> »
It can as well be Netcat`s brain in the jar...

shrike

• Chummer
  • The rep is dead. Long live the rep.
« Reply #3 on: <03-29-12/0738:58> »
True, and I am torn as to whose brain I would rather see in the jar. On one hand, I like Netcat and the metaplot involving her. On the other hand, Clockwork is that guy I love to hate. Not sure SR4 would be the same without him.
Imar heron. Imar raen. Imar semeraerth. Imar milessaratish. Miriat tela li? Thiesat tekio tore li?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-29-12/1234:20> »
There's always another bigot where he came from. Plus, the odds are stacked heavily against him in that fight. Netcat, Slamm-O!, and Pistons, just on the matrix side of things, with any help they can bring to the party. When it happens, Clockwork will be facing 3-on-1 odds in the Matrix just to control his drones, and still have to worry about physical attacks. He's toast.

My Characters

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #5 on: <03-29-12/1429:41> »
Id still love to see that bitch dead.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #6 on: <03-29-12/1800:17> »
Id still love to see that bitch dead.

??? which one?  :o  Also remember (as we highjack yet another thread...) Clockwork doesn't need to take the others out in order to put a bullet in Netcat.  He just needs to survive their revenge (which is of course highly unlikely...)  So winning is a matter of perspective.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <03-29-12/1852:50> »
(as we highjack yet another thread...)
Yeah, you should try not doing that.

Black

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <03-29-12/2324:53> »
(as we highjack yet another thread...)
Yeah, you should try not doing that.

Ok... so I've heard great things about Vegas.   Is it comprehensive enough to support a series of runs in the city, and does it cover more information about the org. crime group, the hmm.. name escapes me... the Ute org. crime group.

Also, given that way back in the day the Denver Data Haven provided significant support to the PCC matrix, how does the close relationship betwen Horizon and the PCC play into this?
Perception molds reality

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #9 on: <03-29-12/2330:54> »
Nice save. :)
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <03-30-12/0724:38> »
The Vegas info is on par with the info you get on Hong Kong in Runner Havens. Definitely enough to support some runs.

As far as Horizon and the PCC? That doesn't come into play too much in this one. These things are all pretty much focused on Horizon, though LVM is the main battleground. Basically, it boils down to the fact that, in addition to corporate rivalries, Horizon has managed to piss off both the Technomancer/AI and free spirit communities. Horizon's been experimenting on free spirits, looking for ways to torture them without disrupting them. The death knell for Horizon's Mohave Wars came when there was an all-star match between Desert Wars and Mohave Wars, and a dozen or so free spirits came in and laid waste to both sides, and only a couple of their number were disrupted. Some technomancers were sitting outside Horizon buildings, protesting to try and get Horizon to do more to help them get rights. Well, when a bunch of hackers are together and have time on their hands, things are going to get hacked. And they found out that Horizon was screwing them, big time. So they got angry.

End result? Las Vegas has had blood rain and murder snow, Salt Lake City got flooded with magic red rain, Legion has declared war on Horizon, breaking through most of the protections surrounding the Consensus, and the protests in LVM came to a bloody end as Horizon sent armed troops against unarmed civilians.

Oh, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Clockwork and Netcat come to a final showdown very soon.

My Characters

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <03-31-12/0540:36> »
In a weird relationship, the Bad Guys in Tom Clancy's novel Rainbow Six was Horizon Corporation, a major pharmaceutical company . . .

Of course, people may have spotted this long ago.

Black

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <04-01-12/0428:57> »
In a weird relationship, the Bad Guys in Tom Clancy's novel Rainbow Six was Horizon Corporation, a major pharmaceutical company . . .

Of course, people may have spotted this long ago.

I liked the bad guys in that novel, or at least their initial plan.  They would have made good Mr Johnsons.  Of course, they all fell apart so easily in the end... I hope Horizon proves to be a tougher nut to crack.
Perception molds reality

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <04-01-12/0927:17> »
The reason they fell apart so quickly is because they had an old spymaster and a few hired guns on their side, and the rest of them were intellectuals. Horizon has their own armed forces.

Now for the question of the day, if you had core level access to the Consensus (which is what the TMs seem to be going for) what would you tell it to say?

My Characters

Black

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <04-01-12/1730:03> »
The reason they fell apart so quickly is because they had an old spymaster and a few hired guns on their side, and the rest of them were intellectuals. Horizon has their own armed forces.

Now for the question of the day, if you had core level access to the Consensus (which is what the TMs seem to be going for) what would you tell it to say?

Bring back 'Baywatch'

*ducks*

Seriously? Devote full resources to Technomancer and A.I. equal rights.  Of course, if the technomancers get control, really get control, then a bunch of Horizon initiatives may get canned (the old changing of the guard type scenario), and things that they have no real interest in, eg Amazonia, may just be dropped.  An A.I. might be inclinded to actual 'wake' the Consesnus, and we could end up with a megacorp actually run by an A.I.
Perception molds reality