NEWS

Warp Focus

• 7 Replies

Inconnu

• Omae
« on: <03-28-12/1128:07> »
This focus absorbs ambient magic and sometimes, not-so-ambient(IE spirits or dual-natured critters... or people) magic.
This creates, if active, at the rate of 1 point per hour, a (Force or 1/2 force)mana warp, and gives a effective (Force) bonus, over the warp, in the form of extra powe, to the being this is bound to.

As with other foci, this is only active if within the aura of the user.

Costs 50k*force nuyen, and 13*force to bind. Has a availibility of 10*forceF.

In other words, this is somthing for rich, but ware-phobic, magi to gonsider getting.

Thoughts?

This may be OP, but then agian, think of who is gonna be carrying it around. (They are likely to be much more powerful than this focus IMO.) Also, the 10*force thing represents the fact that ANYONE found with one of these is going to be in jail for, oh, (Force*100) years, give or take a century or two.

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <03-28-12/1143:49> »
So what the focus does is create an aspected background count around the owner?  For the user, it's a power focus that stacks with other power foci and helps with drain.  It also acts as a debuff for other's magic hanging around him (and may or may not help against other magical attacks).  That's pretty powerful.  I would say how large the background count is (I'll say force in meters off the cuff).  I'll up the karma bonding cost to at least 16*force since it's like a double power focus.  The price and karma cost might need to be raised depending on how you view how casting into a background count works.

Then again, you could buy a quickened mana static spell and then geomancy it into being aspected towards you.  The karma cost would be smaller and it costs no cash, but the focus can be turned on/off. 

As for the legality, I actually don't know if it'll be that illegal.  After all, making a background count isn't a crime and the mana static spell is just as bad as far as the public is concerned and that's restricted.  I'll make it restricted like the other foci.  The availibility is still acceptable since this is suppose to be a SOTA focus.  However, keep in mind it's not hard for faces to find even the most rare of stuff.

Lethe

• Omae
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #2 on: <03-28-12/1159:43> »
Foci are passive, they give power to a mage, if he uses it.  In your case the mage has to concentrate the whole time (hours) to create the Background Count (BC).

If the focus absorbs mana, it would create a mana ebb(negative BC), which will give a negative modifier to everyone.

Domains, if aspected, are not for specific people, but for magical traditions. So the bonus would be for more than just one person.

If the BC gets too big (7+), it will create a mana warp, which can't be controlled and also be a negative modifier to everyone.

This BC won't be permanent. The normal magical background restores itself with 1 point per hour, as in the mana static spell.

The focus doesn't need to be forbidden, because it won't harm anyone. Just take a normal Restriction like all the other foci.

Inconnu

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-28-12/1246:00> »
Nonono.
The mana ebb increases dice. You add the INVERSE of the rating.Also, i can see the 16, so ok.

Lethe

• Omae
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #4 on: <03-28-12/1352:31> »
Nonono.
The mana ebb increases dice. You add the INVERSE of the rating.Also, i can see the 16, so ok.
Care backing that up with a quote from the books, or are you making up your own rules... again?

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #5 on: <03-28-12/1528:59> »
So . . wait . .
People say aspected mana static is hugely over powered broken and now you want to basically mak a slower version that does not have drain or has the distracting modifier from needing to be upheld for long enough and does not need to be held up long enough either?
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Inconnu

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <03-28-12/1535:57> »
grr.

You are right. My gm typed up a little book that got me confused.

Just to make sure, mana ebbs give bonuses to visibility, right?

Also, this could, theoretically, create a void.

And also, if someone wants to do this, they could just get mana static and a power focus. Boom.

I am essentially creating the effect of a cyberzombie. They do the same thing with their essense*-1 as the force, with full force reduction.

Without, of course, the cyberzombie.

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #7 on: <03-28-12/1728:51> »
What you are talking about is not a MANA EBB. A mana ebb is a background count of Rating -1 to -6, which reduces the Force and Magic of all things within it's area by the absolute value of the Rating.

When the mana ebb's rating becomes between -7 and -12, it becomes a MANA VOID, an area where mana is so scarce it is barely there. The effects are the same as above, save that astrally active entities, including projecting magicians, suffer (Absolute value of Rating)P for each turn within the void as well.

The effect you desire is a DOMAIN, which is a background count of between +1 and +6, which reduces the Force and Ratings of everything in the area except for magic aspected towards a certain tradition or styling of magic. For those who match the magic styling, it adds +Rating to the Magic skill tests and Drain tests made by that person.

When the Rating of the Domain becomes between 7 and 12, it becomes a MANA WARP, a hostile environment where emotional impressions are lost as the shifting fields of mana rip apart all spell effect and auras within the field. Because of this effect, a mana warp is no longer a domain, and penalizes everyone within it's reach. Also, all spiritual entities, including projecting magicians, must resist (Rating)P damage for each turn within the warp.