NEWS

Does spoofing to a drone pre-require a "Log On/Subscription"?

• 12 Replies

jundle

• Newb
« on: <03-27-12/2150:04> »
If I want to spoof a command to a drone, don't I have to log on to it's node first before I spoof to it?

If so, then don't I need to hack an account to "Log On"? And if so, then why am I spoofing if I've already got a hacked account?

If I don't need to "Log On" to the node, then how am I delivering an electronic command (I.E. the spoof) to a Pilot program housed in a node if I'm not subscribed to said node?

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-27-12/2155:25> »
No. The whole point of Spoof is that you do not need an account. What you need is the Access ID of someone who does.

jundle

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <03-27-12/2202:23> »
I'm confused then conceptually at how I don't need to "Log On" to the node to deliver an electronic command (I.E. the spoof) to a Pilot program housed in a node if I'm not subscribed to said node.

Can some give me a figurative explanation of how this works?

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-28-12/0012:34> »
You are still sending it a message - you just aren't subscribed to it.

A Subscription is a constant, stable, two-way connection. You don't need to Subscribe just to do basic things like send information - but you do need it to do things like edit files on that node, or hack, or do cybercombat, or whatever. Spoof is sending the drone a message that looks like it is coming from someone authorized to give commands, but is not.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #4 on: <03-28-12/0018:09> »
You're pretending to be the drone's owner.

You send a command tagged with the owner's Access ID in the hopes that the drone won't realize it's a fake.

-k

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #5 on: <03-28-12/0927:44> »
You use owners subscription for spoof, you dont actualy enter the node (and as such you are safe from internal security like IC and such things) You just use right frequency, encryption and command to make drone/peripheral believe that you are the Administrator, whose subscription you had used...

jundle

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <03-28-12/1003:44> »
So why subscribe to a node (i.e. go "into" it) if i can interact *and* even issue commands from outside the node?  If i'm in the node, don't i chance hitting any IC that's there, or even roving spiders?  If i'm outside the node, i avoid all that.

AND, if i can send a single command (while pretending to be an accepted Access ID), then why not hack the password of the user ID, and then always issue commands remotely?  I don't think you need to subscribe to a node to get the elevated privileges, but even if you do, why not just get elevated privileges and then just go back to your commlinks node and then issue commands from there?

Am i missing something?

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <03-28-12/1014:23> »
The answer is that you can issue commands (meaning the Issue Command action if you have a legit account or Spoof if you don't), but that's not everything. Also, without a legitimate account, you have to keep spoofing everything. Any time you need to change the drone's orders, you have to issue a new Spoofed command. If you want to Remote Control the drone, or jump into it, or get data off it, or something like that, you have to actually hack in.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <03-28-12/1024:17> »
You can even Spoof the node to create new account with Admin privileges, and then spoof node to cancel/deny subscription for original user (it is faster than log in/ command, he has one less action to react if he managed to notice new account creation), so he cannot login on his admin account with current settings. Log In, disable IC, then disable all security accounts so he can never got back without using Exploit to hack his own node for a new subscription. By that time you have IC reset to accept your AcessID as correct, and when you get the drone down to your garage, you do a simple Hardware reset to change its AcessID and there is only a little chance that original user ever finds his stolen posession.

IMO this can work RAW, but I may be slightly mistaken...

jundle

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <03-28-12/1152:50> »
Another way to state my confusion is: If you have a high level Access ID, why would you ever subscribe to a node?  Why not, like the previous poster said, just spoof to create an account, then use the new high level account?  Heck, if it's even *MY* node that i sculpted, why would i *ever* go into it? It's doesn't seem to me to confer *any* advantages at all.

With that said, i get the vibe that i'm wrong, i just don't see where.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <03-28-12/1211:12> »
Well..
1) You cannot spoof every node, just drones or peripherals. Nodes generating Persona; commlinks i.e., are "unspoofable".
2) You can spoof node to peripheral or linked device to perform some kind of action. On the other side, without subscription, means without being present in the node, you dont have acess to anything node contains and you don`t even have idea what node contains, because you cannot roll matrix perception inside. So if you want data, which is, at most cases, reason why people hack nodes, you need to subscribe and get your persona inside the node. No spoof would do this for you, it can only help you to prepare the way.

jundle

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <03-28-12/1216:40> »
*That* was what I was missing.  Thank you!!!

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #12 on: <03-28-12/1527:32> »
Also, it would not be all that unreasonable for a rigger to set up blocks on his drones, so new accounts CANNOT be created via simple remote command - the rigger could directly log into the drone to create a new account, but any "create account" command sent remotely would be ignored (and could probably set off an alert).

-k