NEWS

Counterspelling and Ongoing Effects question

• 5 Replies

jundle

• Newb
« on: <03-27-12/1335:03> »
Note that Counterspelling is not “used up” after it defends against a spell—it continues to protect the designated characters against other spells until the magician decides to end it.
Page 185 SR4E20th

For each sustained spell the magician maintains, she suffers a –2 dice penalty on all other tests.
Page 184 SR4E20th

If my a caster is "Protecting" a series of individuals with her "Counterspelling" ability, does that count at a sustained spell?  If so, is it a seperate sustained spell per perseon she is "protecting"?

If not, then why wouldn't a caster just say "I'm always protecting everyone i like that I can see, forever.  So, GM, when you make any rolls, remember I'm ALWAYS counterspell protecting, so just add that in so that I can forget about it.  Thanks."

Crash_00

« Reply #1 on: <03-27-12/1342:56> »
Counterspelling isn't a spell, so it doesn't cause a sustaining penalty, but it is an active action that requires line of sight. You can declare you're always doing it on your friends when they're in sight, but when that jackass street sam runs around the corner ahead of you, you're going to have to spend a free action when you get back into line of sight to "static" the area around him again.

As a special point of irritation here, the GM has a lot more to remember than any of the players at the table, if you can't be bothered to remember and remind the GM that you are counterspelling, don't expect him to automatically do so for you.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <03-27-12/1927:32> »
^Just hope with all that he has to remember, that he DOES remember you telling him that you claimed counter spelling. :D
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #3 on: <03-28-12/1115:33> »
I sometimes make a little paper tent and write on it in block letters any active team buffs that are up, including counterspelling. Placed in front of me on the game table, it helps remind folks of stuff that can easily get forgotten in all the dice rolling.

-k

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-28-12/1117:34> »
And in Combat Turns, they have to spend those Free Actions...
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Psikerlord

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <03-30-12/1923:56> »
to the OP: yep, that's what happens - the mages are basically always counterspelling for all allies in line of sight. A good reason for allies not to get out of line of sight, or for enemies to move them out of LOS. I didnt realise about the free action to re-establish - that could be a hassle on occasion.