NEWS

What's going on with Renraku?

• 40 Replies

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <03-04-12/0502:21> »
As for Shiawase, I've never really seen them as a major player when it comes to the metaplots. Political infighting has always stymied them, time and again. Marriages and inheritances, Imperial relations and Fuchi stock all serve to consistently strain them from within. I'm one of the people who remains shocked they've never gone Fuchi and just split into a bunch of others.
They all bear the Shiawase family name. They can't walk away from that, considering how conservative Japanese business is. This is not America, where self-made men (Damien Knight, Richard Villiers...) are lauded at. The fact that infighting is justified as their only option is precisely what makes Shiawase different from the other megacorporations.

Red

• Omae
  • Good plans load the dice. Good stories trump them.
« Reply #31 on: <03-04-12/0507:02> »
As for Shiawase, I've never really seen them as a major player when it comes to the metaplots. Political infighting has always stymied them, time and again. Marriages and inheritances, Imperial relations and Fuchi stock all serve to consistently strain them from within. I'm one of the people who remains shocked they've never gone Fuchi and just split into a bunch of others.
They all bear the Shiawase family name. They can't walk away from that, considering how conservative Japanese business is. This is not America, where self-made men (Damien Knight, Richard Villiers...) are lauded at. The fact that infighting is justified as their only option is precisely what makes Shiawase different from the other megacorporations.

An excellent point, but it has been pointed out repeatedly that each of them has considered just assassinating their rivals or breaking the corp apart into their own fiefdoms. Self-preservation and traditionalism seem to be the only glue holding it together, which is reason enough to state why they rarely have energy left over to enact many metaplot effects. Most of the runs I've seen them involved in are either in-house jobs or hits against energy rivals like Gaiatronics.
"My writing is more akin to a cook than a farmer: give me the pieces, and what comes out of it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Give me nothing, and I just stare dumbly. It's a failing, but then, it's also a living."

ShadowSea, for my players.
http://shadowsea.webnode.com/

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #32 on: <03-04-12/0744:35> »
Renraku hasn't been idle. They've just been flying under the radar. For instance, they run the SIN registry not only for their corporate empire, but for over ONE HUNDRED sovereign nations around the world! They are, in essence, the premier data brokers in the world. Information is power, and Renraku controls a lot of it. This goes beyond spin, like you see with Aztechnology and Horizon. With so much of the raw data on Renraku systems, if they wanted to, Renraku could change the actual facts, and no one would know.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <03-04-12/0812:46> »
Just to make it clear, some people (including myself) have been talking about Renraku importance story-wise, others about its importance background-wise.

Renraku Computer Systems still is one of the ten largest megacorporations in the world. It still employs millions of people and makes billions of nuyen in computers, ships, weapons, services, and toilet seats. By 2073, The Economist and The Wall Street Journal probably mention Renraku as often as any other of the Big Ten. There still are a bunch of ideas to use Renraku in games (otherwise, the person who wrote the Renraku chapter in Corporate Guide wouldn't have done his job). What there was not, however, is a big role for Renraku to play in the technomancers crisis, the tempo traffic, the War in Colombia, the Denver Treaty negotiations, and the artifacts hunt (it does appear in two adventures from Corporate Intrigue, but it could be easily replaced with any other corporations).

Red

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <03-04-12/0915:22> »
I think that's just the point: they are trying to remain in the background as best they can. Marshall strength and create opportunities. I suspect the next time we see Renraku take center stage, it will be well on their terms, and what they bring will prove they were anything but idle.
"My writing is more akin to a cook than a farmer: give me the pieces, and what comes out of it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Give me nothing, and I just stare dumbly. It's a failing, but then, it's also a living."

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #35 on: <03-04-12/1012:36> »
Or something will have gone horribly, horribly wrong. Again.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #36 on: <03-04-12/1216:07> »
Or something will have gone horribly, horribly wrong. Again.
And things have gone right...  When?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #37 on: <03-04-12/1256:39> »
Define "right" in this context, Ray. It will really help me to come up with an answer for you.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #38 on: <03-04-12/1346:38> »
Define "right" in this context, Ray. It will really help me to come up with an answer for you.
The opposite of horribly wrong?

Or at least where someone doesn't go, "Oh god, oh god, we're going to die."?  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #39 on: <03-04-12/1412:28> »
So more like a Tuesday and not a Thursday?

Also are Cham and Cliber dead? I seem to remember them dying.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Red

• Omae
« Reply #40 on: <03-04-12/1622:27> »
How's that old quote go? "Plot is a result of complications," I think.