NEWS

What's going on with Renraku?

• 40 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #15 on: <03-03-12/0951:24> »
Renraku is still alive and well in Seattle.  You just won't see it's name anywhere.  The whole "Saving Face" thing, the "Renraku" sub-corporations were sold to "Other Companies" which are wholly owned by Renraku but don't have "Renraku" in the name.

So the Renraku Gas Bar and Eatery is now a Huskies, which is owned by Renraku.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <03-03-12/1013:21> »
MCT isn't in a limbo, they are still doing the whole brain in a jar connected to the matrix stuff with new twists. Also making hack-cyborgs.
I wasn't giving ongoing examples, hence the tense (unless my English is getting rusty...). MCT came under the spotlight only in 2007 with Emergence. That's 18 years after it was first introduced in SR1 and Seattle Sourcebook in 1989, and 8 years after Halberstam and his brain and jar experiments were said to have joined the corp in Corporate Download in 1999. MCT played no significant role in Blood in the Boardroom, Mob War, Year of the Comet or System Failure events. It was put as the power behind the throne of general Saito as an aftermath of System Failure, but this was never developed in 4th edition (and Emergence closely followed anyway). A few people may remember MCT was backing the Tsimshian against the Salish-Shidhe. There was also one big plot involved Ares, MCT and Pueblo in Man & Machine that went completely overlooked (though there still are some interesting dots to connect between Pueblo, Arthur Vogel and AresSpace in that regards).

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <03-03-12/1026:49> »
MCT is famed for their Zero Zone policy.  That means that nothing gets in, and if it does, nothing gets out.   Most of the supplements are written from the perspective of a person in the setting rather than as an omniscient observer.  So, the ZZ policy of MCT necessarily means very little info in the supplements. 

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #18 on: <03-03-12/1036:38> »
I just found it an odd example, MCT gets more "face time" than others of the big 10. S-K and Shiawise come to mind, what have those two really been doing? Shiawise is connected to the Japanese Emperor and both are kinda interested in artifacts. Other than that really nothing from either. Also what is Wuxing up to? Besides getting seemingly overridden by Aztech in the PPG?

REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <03-03-12/1128:42> »
Note that I did include Shiawase as one of the corporation that was in limbo for some time, in the early year of Shadowrun. It played a small role at the end of Blood in the Boardroom as Korin Yamana joined the corp, and started getting a real role with the new Emperor plot in Year of the Comet, followed by Shadows of Asia and Corporate Enclaves.

Wuxing has a much shorter story, having been introduced later. It played a big role in Blood in the Boardroom quickly after as it established the PPG and then in Year of the Comet, with the Orichaculm Rush. It did serve some time after, until Corporate Intrigue came out I'd say.

Compare that to Ares Macrotechnology, Aztechnology, Yamatetsu/Evo, Fuchi/Novatech/Neonet, or Renraku during the "arcology era". They got coverage in plenty of sourcebooks and adventures (and even novels) on a regular basis.

Saeder-Krupp is a different beast because it is treated as a tool of Lofwyr. What Saeder-Krupp does as business is pretty much a non-issue. But when Lofwyr is feuding with Alamais, S-K is involved. When Lofwyr takes part in a Draconic Rite over Dunkelzahn bequests, S-K is involved. When Lofwyr manipulates European powers, S-K is involved. When Lofwyr wants an artifact, S-K is involved. And so on.

Anyway my point was, quite a few corporations spend years in limbo. They've not always been there, they won't always stay there. Now is Renraku's turn.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #20 on: <03-03-12/1205:46> »
Wuxing and Evo need more love, too.

Honestly, there's a lot of face time being given to AZT and Horizon, with a good amount going to Ares (As benefits it's status as "The Place Where We Buy Our Bang-Bangs!"), but the rest need more love indeed.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <03-03-12/1251:58> »
Does Yamatetsu/Evo even have any facilities in Seattle?

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <03-03-12/1308:30> »
Does Yamatetsu/Evo even have any facilities in Seattle?
Yamatetsu/Evo subsidiary Crashcart (a competitor of DocWagon) has its world headquarters in Seattle. Yamatetsu also plays a big role in Nigle Findley's 2XS, set in Seattle.

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <03-03-12/1343:08> »
Got an address?

Hammerfist

• Newb
  • Phys. Adept w/o a moral compass
« Reply #24 on: <03-03-12/1916:06> »
A simple "Plan 9" theory with Renraku working to find the Awakened gene, they could be working on cultured Awakened bioware.  As I understand bio and cyberware frag the Awakened by screwing over the mana balance of their bodies, so if a cultured bioware grown from an activated Awakened biosample was implanted there might be no Essence loss.   
Forget the gun, a fist never runs out of bullets.

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <03-03-12/2116:46> »
A simple "Plan 9" theory with Renraku working to find the Awakened gene, they could be working on cultured Awakened bioware.  As I understand bio and cyberware frag the Awakened by screwing over the mana balance of their bodies, so if a cultured bioware grown from an activated Awakened biosample was implanted there might be no Essence loss.   
That sounds more like an MCT program.  There was some research in that vain going on at Overlake Medical Center which I believe sparked some MCT interest.  Renraku Biotech was focusing on internal organs.  Nobody is going to get rich focusing on 1% of the population (the awakened).  More likely, they've got Nanoware going strong.

That being said, I had Renraku charting everyone in Algona/Pacific and offered a 'Family Health Center' which looked for metahuman genes and potentially terminated those pregnancies.  Meanwhile they were mapping the genome more precisely.  Given a very large pool of test subjects (Armada Personnel), Renraku could use selective breeding to purify a line of awakened people, preferably human.  This may have been going on to develop Otaku or even the Technomancers.

Hammerfist

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <03-03-12/2152:33> »
That sounds more like an MCT program.  There was some research in that vain going on at Overlake Medical Center which I believe sparked some MCT interest.  Renraku Biotech was focusing on internal organs.  Nobody is going to get rich focusing on 1% of the population (the awakened).  More likely, they've got Nanoware going strong.

That being said, I had Renraku charting everyone in Algona/Pacific and offered a 'Family Health Center' which looked for metahuman genes and potentially terminated those pregnancies.  Meanwhile they were mapping the genome more precisely.  Given a very large pool of test subjects (Armada Personnel), Renraku could use selective breeding to purify a line of awakened people, preferably human.  This may have been going on to develop Otaku or even the Technomancers.
Okay I can go with that, but there is also the possibility that they may be looking for a way to Awaken mundanes.  As far as I know everyone carries the genes to be "Awakened" they just need to be activated, right?  So if Renraku can find that way they could develop a gene therapy that could do the job and with that ability the just might be able to create "designer Awakened".  "Want to be an Adept use this therapy, Technomancer this one", etc... And in doing that open up whole new markets, and just think of the fragging over they could give another Mega.  Imagine trying to fend off a 100+, 200+ person strong magical assault on a project site.  Sounds nasty don't it.  ???

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <03-03-12/2207:17> »
Ghost Dance, Vampires, Ghouls, Shadim, Toxics, Bugs, Tempo... Awakening people is going to be a hard sell.  Sell to the masses.  They want to be nice clean, easy to hire humans with no biases against them.

Hammerfist

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: <03-03-12/2215:52> »
True but this is a nefarious Mega (Mwahahaha, dun dun duuunnnn).  They could do it to their own people and put in a Micotoxin implant to insure loyalty.  Nothing keeps the wageslaves in line like the chance that their boss could turn their brains into a nasty viscous sludge that would then drip from all their cranial orifices.  Ick, that thought just made me a little sick. :P

Red

• Omae
  • Good plans load the dice. Good stories trump them.
« Reply #29 on: <03-04-12/0438:59> »
Sounds a lot like tonics from BioShock. Plus, take into account the way that people tend to trust things that have Latin names and are endorsed by a kind and professional-looking older man in a white lab coat. I tell people about my condition IRL, people say vampire and look at me weird. I say I have porphyria, and suddenly it's all very respectable. You sell something based on the concept that it is safe, tested, and quality-approved. Considering the cyberpunk nature of Shadowrun, selling something under the false pretense that it's safe is one of the hallmarks of megacorporate tactics, as they answer to no one but their shareholders, and technology and ambition often outrun safety or morality by a longshot. IIRC, Ares has a habit of dropping their prototype weapons on the street, whether for gangs, as payment for runners, or whatever, to get free field testing from time to time. No reason to think other treatments wouldn't get the same. How many old folks on the streets with a glitched-out cybereye or arm possibly got there because that wiz piece of gear turned out to be a glitched out prototype?

As far as the corps go, I've always figured Renraku has been mostly out of the spotlight...

From a Writer's perspective) because they were the primary metaplot focus for so long. Gotta turn away and look at other things now, before coming back around. After all, Bug Spirits were all the rage back when, but they got a long break. Now they get to come back, bit by bit. :)

From a Player's perspective) They've taken a LOT of hits, and it pays for them to stay out of the spotlight. They lost their founder and a lot of their best minds with the Arcology. Remember, Aniki built the Arc with the dream of self-contained corpo-utopian living in mind. He was a ruthless businessman, but he did have a dream of (by his standards) helping to build a better future. The AEP was only one part of that. He ultimately committed seppuku (in a digital sense) out of shame for all that his dream had been corrupted into being. Japanese megacorps that have a founder or chair of such personal charisma tend to put a lot of stock, pride and face into that leader. They take cues for their own identity from them. Aneki's shame was personal, and most potent of them all, but every Renraku sarariman felt the sting of shame for the failure of the Arcology. It wasn't just a financial hit: it was an ideological disaster. They lost their masterpiece and their father all at once. The people who would have been best-placed to lead from there were dead, or they decided to play things more conservatively. Renraku has the majority of the telecom holdings in Japan (a MAJOR data hub), not to mention assets across the globe. Right now they know it's still too soon to stick their heads out in a bid to be number one, because to many still equate Renraku with Crash 2.0 and the Arc. It's in their best interests to play it quiet and work on their basics. Build their portfolio. Fund R&D. Keep their eyes open, ears to the grindstone, walk softly, and wait for the opportune moment.

As for Shiawase, I've never really seen them as a major player when it comes to the metaplots. Political infighting has always stymied them, time and again. Marriages and inheritances, Imperial relations and Fuchi stock all serve to consistently strain them from within. I'm one of the people who remains shocked they've never gone Fuchi and just split into a bunch of others.

MCT has always struck me as the monolith Japanacorp (their corporate logo certainly supports this), and the one you hear about the least. They are the most... well, stereotypical of a Cyberpunk Zaibatsu. Yakuza connections. Computer tech. Heavy Industry. Traditionalists. The thing that makes them SR-unique is Unit 13, Pentacle Publishing and their other magical pursuits (like their examination of the Elemental Scrolls in the 60s). It might be nice to see them really chase something magical down, other than artifacts. Possibly do some greater investigation of the kaern found under LA- oh, I mean the Deep Lacuna. ;)
"My writing is more akin to a cook than a farmer: give me the pieces, and what comes out of it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Give me nothing, and I just stare dumbly. It's a failing, but then, it's also a living."

ShadowSea, for my players.
http://shadowsea.webnode.com/