NEWS

Stocks & Investments

• 0 Replies

crisses

• Chummer
  • You're out of my mind.
« on: <02-20-12/1251:13> »
I did a long write-up on some of the ways runners can invest (read: borrowed and extensively modified some information others had posted about on the web) and came up with this:

http://eveslist.crisses.org/Services/Financial

For the "Single Corporation Stock (risky,volatile)" method, I created a Numbers '08 spreadsheet (zip) that helps calculate stocks (and an export for Excel (xls) -- no guarantees!)

In the spreadsheet I have the top 8 corps from  the old Corporate Shadowfiles listed, but not individual divisions + Biogene because my players had run through DNA/DOA and wanted to invest in Biogene stock.

I'd like some feedback, and I thought some gamers/GMs would find it helpful.  In tests, stocks have a general tendency to go upwards.  One could alter the table for smaller corporate stocks (lower the dividend %, lower the +/- % by half I think), but if your runners are investing in the Big 10, these charts are definitely a start.

To determine a "market boom" or a "market dip" I calculated all the top stocks: if they all gained last month, investor confidence in the market is high and that gives the "market boom" bonus to this month.  [Note: I did NOT have Numbers roll randomly for me.  Make one change in the chart and it re-rolls.  OUCH.  Someone with Excel might test whether Excel does the same with random numbers and make the corrections if needed.]

Note: there's no way to really accurately or appropriately address all issues in stock markets.  None of this reflects daily trading, and a great stock investor could do better than those charts (perhaps a + daily modifier if you have the right broker -- who will extract a steeper commission I'm sure).