NEWS

Uneducated and analyze device

• 4 Replies

Ugh

• Newb
« on: <02-16-12/1930:49> »
I was looking at the spell analyze device and noticed...each net hit gives the subject a bonus die while operating the device, and allows the subject to ignore any skill defaulting modifiers for using the device while the spell is sustained.
An Uneducated character cannot default on any technical (and certain other) skills.
If an Uneducated character was the recipient of an analyze device spell, could s/he:
A. Use the skill with full attribute and net hit dice combined ( treating not being able to default as a modifier that's negated),
B. Use the skill with only the net hit dice, or
C. Not use the skill at all?

Captain Karzak

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <02-16-12/2114:28> »
LOL, I run a pixie character too, who relies on Analyze Device in the manner in which you've just suggested. (It doesn't come up too often since I can usually have an Agent, a Task Spirit, a friendly NPC, or any other PC to assist me with a technical task.)

Rules As Written, I don't think Analyze Device will really help you use skills that are considered Unaware in. I think however, that it would be very easy to talk most GM's into a more permissive interpretation because clearly the spell is providing some level of instantaneous magical instruction on how best to use the affected object.

So yes, I think you need a house rule, and no, I don't think it will be hard to talk your GM into it. How do I know? Well, s/he let you play a Pixie in the first place.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <02-16-12/2127:29> »
I agree with Karzak. RAW, the spell would not give you the ability to default on skills you are unaware of (and therefore cannot default on). It would remove the penalty for defaulting for any skill you are not Unaware of, allowing you to default with your base attribute plus any bonuses provided by the spell.

Note also that this would not allow a character to default on Cybercombat without penalty, or other Hacking skills, since that is software, not a device. You could use it to default on Hardware, Automotive repair, or other such things.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Ugh

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <02-16-12/2141:33> »
Thanks for the replies.  I will be playing a pixie shaman and I think my gm would let me use option B, just the net hit dice.  If so I would use it for things like operating my com link, soy kaffe maker, etc...
Typos made by the iPad.

Halancar

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <02-17-12/0537:32> »
Speaking of that spell, do I understand the mechanics right ?

First, you have to beat the Object Resistance, which for anything technological is going to start at 4 (electronics) and go up from there (6 to get a bonus for driving a car...).
Then, any success above that gives you a +1 to your skill roll. Of course, your total successes are still limited by the Force of the spell (unless using Edge, but you could have used it on the skill roll instead).
But, if you cast it on yourself, and don't use a sustaining focus (and given how high a Force you need to get any net success, sustaining foci are going to be hard to get), you will have a -2 on your skill roll from sustaining a spell.
Putting it all together, it seems that unless you are a mid-level initiate, or have access to a top-level sustaining focus, it will be hard to get any benefit from the spell. Well, maybe if you cast on a teammate and overcast or use Edge, but even then the benefits probably won't be that great ?