NEWS

Horizon & Deus

• 87 Replies

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #60 on: <09-25-12/0237:22> »
Also remember that the Matrix Never Forgets...

;D

Which I will always find funny when I think of all of the things I remember that the Internet has forgotten.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #61 on: <09-25-12/0746:51> »
In any case.  By the time of Crash 2.0, he certainly would have known of that Realm - presuming, naturally, that it existed.

Im still playing with the idea that it took a few milion matrix killed/imprissoned metahuman souls to create resonance as such, so IMO there was no real Resonance...or its presence was very marginal before Shutdown incident...and not until Crash it become significant part of objective reality....
Unfortunately, that doesn't jive with what is actually in the setting. The reason the Resonance wasn't a big player (other than incidents like the Shutdown and System Failure) prior to Matrix 2.0 coming along isn't because it wasn't there. By everything I can see, it was alive and kicking well before Deus ever started waking up. The problem was that otaku were RARE. Otaku that advanced their talents to the point that they could access the Resonance Realms were RARER. And because otaku aged out of their abilities, the young otaku had to keep relearning old tricks, instead of having people teach them. In many ways, it is the same as magic in the 2020s. Sure, people knew it existed, but even in the 2070s, magically active people are still only 1/100, and most of those don't have any real Talent. The Otaku and Technomancers were spread even thinner than that.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #62 on: <09-25-12/1339:17> »
Which I will always find funny when I think of all of the things I remember that the Internet has forgotten.
That's just because we can't access The Resonance Realms of The Internet.

"What the hell was that?"  "Oh, that's us accessing the Resonance.  It's on a 14.4 Modem."  "Wow, memories indeed!"
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #63 on: <09-26-12/0236:17> »
Pfaugh.  I only have a 4400 baud to UseNe ... the Resonance Realms.  ;)

Ethan, just because Netcat had nightmares and morning sickness doesn't necessarily make those nightmares real.  On the other hand, she does have concerns about some very real Bad Things that are out there, and that don't need an AI to exist.  (The Dissonance comes to mind ...)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #64 on: <09-26-12/1010:52> »
Well, here's the thing. At least one person who was on the virtual floor of the NYSE when Jormungand hatched survived (namely Puck, and Dodger, if he was there), and others who were thought dead have proven to be still around, somewhere (such as Pax). The big three AIs were all infinitely more powerful than those two, so without a 'body' or some other means of confirming their destruction, there is plenty of room for the possibility that the AIs are still 'alive', though perhaps in diminished capacity, or locked in some Resonance Realm. Add to that the fact that their source code should be somewhere in the Endless Archive...

Ooh, I got a story idea...

My Characters

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #65 on: <09-26-12/1031:57> »
In any case.  By the time of Crash 2.0, he certainly would have known of that Realm - presuming, naturally, that it existed.

Im still playing with the idea that it took a few milion matrix killed/imprissoned metahuman souls to create resonance as such, so IMO there was no real Resonance...or its presence was very marginal before Shutdown incident...and not until Crash it become significant part of objective reality....
Unfortunately, that doesn't jive with what is actually in the setting.

Not necessarily. The ammount of psychical energy/trapped souls consumed in resonance-like environment during those two incidents may had supported significant grow/boost of the resonance and allow later Emergence to happen...from "very rare" technos become just "rare" this days. That hardly happened withou reason. Only other alternative I see for this to happen is the fact, that Matrix become Unwired, thus acessible from any place around...and as such it affects much much larger portion of populaion than when it was acessible only by wire.

Ethan

• Omae
« Reply #66 on: <09-26-12/1124:23> »
I just can't shake the feeling that there's an Electronic Cthulhu deep in the Resonance. It's not fully awake yet, and its servants are orchestrating events to prepare the world for it. Or perhaps Resonance Horrors?

So with that already in my head, the crashes and e-ghosts are a bit like sacrifice, akin to blood magic. Perhaps a Great e-Ghost Dance?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #67 on: <09-26-12/1211:13> »
Well, the Dissonants have at least figured out some form of 'ritual technomancy', that they use to corrupt AIs...

And I believe someone made up a technomancer version of Sacrifice. Oh yeah, it was here.

My Characters

The Dark Warden

• Newb
« Reply #68 on: <09-26-12/1250:58> »

;D

Actually given the nature of the resonance realms, CanRay has a pretty major point here... anything on the matrix is stored in the Endless Archive... Deus was most assuredly on the matrix... so somewhere down there is Deus' code I don't know if code actually runs in the Archive or if it's merely stored but say a certain psychoptahic dissonant techno who unepectedly survived the crash who'd had prior dealings with Deus wanted him back...

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #69 on: <09-26-12/1303:51> »
Pax would NEVER bring Deus back. She believed Deus betrayed her, and joined with Winternight to try and kill him (among other things). No, if anyone was going to bring Deus out of the Endless Archives, it would most likely be a technomancer doing a search for something else, and picking up the wrong 'book' by accident. The wounds are still too fresh for anyone to go deliberately bringing Deus back. But if, say, someone was looking for Maegera as a gift to Dodger, and stumbled on a file that looked similar...

My Characters

Ethan

• Omae
« Reply #70 on: <09-26-12/1311:48> »
Well, the Dissonants have at least figured out some form of 'ritual technomancy', that they use to corrupt AIs...

And I believe someone made up a technomancer version of Sacrifice. Oh yeah, it was here.

Ooh, very nice. I'm incorporating that into my head canon, if you don't mind.

It just seems odd that the 2029 Crash Virus was somehow capable of inducing lethal biofeedback for a then-surprisingly new piece of tech, the cyberterminal.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #71 on: <09-26-12/1337:51> »
It just seems odd that the 2029 Crash Virus was somehow capable of inducing lethal biofeedback for a then-surprisingly new piece of tech, the cyberterminal.
Not really, the damned things were cludges that hung up and dumpshocked the users as often as they worked (Possibly more often).  Jacking in "Naked" (using 1st Ed rules) was safer than using those machines.

In addition, the Crash Virus was able to cause hardware to fry itself by way of overriding "soft controls" to the power supply (Best answer I have for how a virus affects hardware), and wetware is probably close enough that it does the same thing.  Even an extra quarter-volt or a few milliamps to the right part of the brain will screw someone up right good.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Dark Warden

• Newb
« Reply #72 on: <09-26-12/2241:41> »
Pax would NEVER bring Deus back. She believed Deus betrayed her, and joined with Winternight to try and kill him (among other things). No, if anyone was going to bring Deus out of the Endless Archives, it would most likely be a technomancer doing a search for something else, and picking up the wrong 'book' by accident. The wounds are still too fresh for anyone to go deliberately bringing Deus back. But if, say, someone was looking for Maegera as a gift to Dodger, and stumbled on a file that looked similar...

Fair enough, I came in at shadowrun 4A so Deus was a bit before my time and none of the fluff books I've got really cover the Arcology/Winternight/Crash 2.0 situation very well but yeah, your idea of a technomancer picking up the wrong code would definitely work.

Also I think there was (but maybe it was an urban legend, I was kind of young at the time) a virus in the real world which was capable of burning out certain CPUs by taking advantage of loopholes in the heat safeguards and sending a series of instructions that caused a dangerous level of heat to build up, I could certainly see Deus pulling off something like that

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #73 on: <09-27-12/0632:51> »
There are few viruses that can damage hardware IRL. Most tend to target the thermostat or fan controls. That is a real thing, and it has even been used by the CIA to target Iranian nuclear reactors. Computers produce a bunch of heat, and if they overheat, they break. The principle is the same as why you shouldn't run a machine gun until the barrel is red hot, because that increases the rate of failure. The circuits in modern PCs may be tiny, but they are still conductors of heat and electricity. Heat them too much, and Bad Thingstm happen.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #74 on: <09-27-12/1432:31> »
"Why do you look so glum?"  "Melted my CPU to the Motherboard."  "That's what you get for overclocking so high." - Discussion I had in High School

#ThisTaserGoesTo11