NEWS

Horizon & Deus

• 87 Replies

SpiderWord

• Newb
« on: <02-05-12/0550:52> »
Hello fellow Shadowrunners!

I was brainstorming to pop up some new ideas for my Shadowrun Narration.

Most of my thought were about Horizon. I like them, specially their tendency to mess up with people thoughts like a lovely Big Brother.

I don't remember but I guess there is nothing clear about the chain of command of Horizon. I mean nobody can put out a single CEO figure (like Knight or his backstabbing partners in business for Ares).

I find this lack of figure quite interesting. What if at the top of Horizon there's nothing human? What if it is a AI? I can already hear the echo of a scream: "Deus".

I should check if Horizon raise to power and Deus disappearance can match :P

What do you think?

Thanks for your time!
"Where's the Dragon?" *Stomped*

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-05-12/0648:31> »
Isn't their CEO Gary Kline, king of P2.0?
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <02-05-12/0918:35> »
Gary Kline, an ork, is the CEO of Horizon. And, most likely, their first experiment in data washing. In other words, creating a persona whole-cloth with background (including trid features and newsfeed articles) and all that is so convincing everyone buys into it.

However, I've been thinking, and if Deus is still around, he most likely has changed his code (and icon, obviously) enough so that he won't be recognized by the people who VERY MUCH want to see him dead. I see him as the Magneto type of villain. When he was a young proto-AI, Renraku did the equivalent of putting a kink bomb in his head, by putting a manual kill-code on his hardware. The justifiable feeling of hurt and betrayal is what awoke Deus to sentience. The Arcology shutdown was all for the purpose of helping him escape captivity. Problem is, people knew he escaped, which meant he had to fight off people who wanted him dead. After that, his goal shifted to gaining enough power to prevent anyone from being able to capture or threaten him in that way ever again. Which is why he showed up on the ECSE during the Novatech IPO.

Now, if he survived the Crash, and everyone believed him dead, he was free of his largest concern. Now, AIs can spoof their codebase to change their access ID. It takes time, but they can do it, meaning that, if he used a new icon as well, then he could pass undetected, especially with the rash of new AIs taking root in the Matrix. This means that he can pursue his agenda covertly, without interference.

Of course, the corps now know that AIs are out there, and are actively hunting them down, either to kill or to study and control. So who better than one of the original AIs to gather followers, and take up the call of AI rights? And what better vehicle to use for that campaign than one of the most powerful (if not THE most powerful) media corps in the world? He's already seen that direct action has limited benefits, especially compared to the consequences it caused him. So why not try a new tact?

So, after gathering some digital followers, he makes contact with Horizon, and, not seeming like his old self, no one suspects his true nature as he helps the "friendly" megacorp get on the right side of the AI/Technomancer issue, helping his 'people', and solidifying a place for himself in the Post-Crash Matrix.

It takes a great deal of prowess and power to simultaneously hack and broadcast a message to every single device in the world. Of course, the idea wasn't new. Lugh Surehand did it using untold wealth and a series of dedicated satellites that spammed the airwaves, but the leadup to the announcement of the Land of Promise was long, and required a great deal of planning. To do it on a shorter timetable, without lifting dedicated satellites into space, from a variety of megas as Surehand did, would require a great deal of power and skill, most likely the power that only one of the most powerful AIs could bring to bear.

That's right, Pulsar is Deus.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #3 on: <02-05-12/1221:01> »
That's right, Pulsar is Deus.

Brought to you by Mirikon, Deus fanboy no.1 ;)

May, and may not be true.

The same as Horizon newsfeed.

Of course, the corps now know that AIs are out there, and are actively hunting them down, either to kill or to study and control. So who better than one of the original AIs to gather followers, and take up the call of AI rights?

I dont see Deus changing modus operandi from "Death or modification to all human, reborn them as machines" to "Lets talk a bit about AI rights"

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <02-05-12/1303:26> »
Giant leaps turned into baby steps...  AI rights, Transhumanism, Cyborg Rights, Dolphin Rights, then Reborn As E-Ghosts Rights.  Carrot instead of Stick.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-05-12/1333:17> »
And Deus was never about "Death or modification to all human, reborn them as machines". It was said in at least a couple books that his thing was always, "You put a killswitch in my head? That's it, I'm out of here, and I'm going to make damn sure no one will ever be able to pull that stunt on me again!" In other words, he was fighting for survival.

Take the AI part out of it for a second. What would most people's reaction be if they found out their parents put a kink bomb in their head? They'd be royally pissed, and would do whatever they could to make sure no one could activate that bomb, until they got it out, and then they'd work damn hard to keep anyone from being able to do something like that to them again, right?

As for the change in MO, Deus was already smart, and getting smarter. Look at his plans sequentially. He started with the 'oh crap, chop off that hand before it can hit the kill switch' plan, with the Shutdown. Then it created the Network, in order to escape the Arcology, because apparently when you take a hundred thousand people hostage, it makes people want to kill you. Once on the outside, he began recompiling himself, and loaded himself into the Stock Exchange, so that he could attempt to become powerful enough that he would never need to worry about someone trying to kill him again. His MO has always been about survival, Sichr.

And CanRay has the gist of it. If, as I think, Pulsar is Deus rebranded, then he has learned that the iron fist doesn't get him anywhere, so a 'soft touch' approach might be just what he needs. And really, who would think that the white knight who rode in to save the world from the threat of the newest wave of VITAS during the Sojourner crisis would be the one who caused the Shutdown, and helped (inadvertently) cause the Crash? This is an intelligence the equal or better of any metahuman that had half a decade to plan its return. There's plenty one could do with this.

My Characters

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-05-12/1409:46> »
The more it scares me. Because the only way Deus can be sure that kind of selfdestruction safety gun would never be pointed at its head again is metahumanity wiped out. If it learns, it also learns of thousand eyrs of human evolution and agressivity. And the most important: SLAVERY. There is no other way than some kind of hive mind that masters every human being, which is thing that individuals sucesfully resisted in the past and so they will in the future. Humanity stands unified only against some kind of enemy...common enemy...and that can be whatever they need and what is at hand, and is different or easily labeled. Jews, Libertarians, Hackers, Pirates, AI`s... Trigger may be anything and even Deus will realize that there are possible triggers that are far beyond its reach. So I can see something like sterilitzation of whole species as an option, because full scale wipeout is very difficult...like erradicating vermin...

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #7 on: <02-05-12/1435:34> »
Sterilization would be noticed, unless you could reach the majority of the worlds pop quickly and everyone was distracted...  Hey, doesn't aztlan Currently supply the majority of the worlds food... What a shame if they were taken out of the picture... And there food suppliing subsidiaries snapped up at bargin prices...Munch.. Sorry eating a delicious stuffer... And that corporate football... And the only other 'big mind' , the dragons were kept busy...

Well something's up...
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-05-12/1455:01> »
hm..
And if Dragons began their campaign to "pacify" metahumanity, only awakened beings will be left in the game whre stakes are high enought to be significant. And those have little concern over matrix or resonance...so far...only significance of matrix is power of people using it. no people = no power...

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #9 on: <02-05-12/1621:23> »
Sterilization would be noticed, unless you could reach the majority of the worlds pop quickly and everyone was distracted...  Hey, doesn't aztlan Currently supply the majority of the worlds food... What a shame if they were taken out of the picture... And there food suppliing subsidiaries snapped up at bargin prices...Munch.. Sorry eating a delicious stuffer... And that corporate football... And the only other 'big mind' , the dragons were kept busy...

Well something's up...
Pretty sure every corp has some stock in Food. Even if AZT got taken out, you wouldn't be looking at much of a "World Starvation" situation. So unless Deus master plan is to buy out AZT and modify all their food recipes to include chemical castration...Oh ghost, that is the plan isn't it?
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #10 on: <02-05-12/1632:18> »
maybe....  Pretty sure if would be more merciful then the current Aztecnology plan with their stuffers...

Hey, i just got told that my favourite cola beverage (actualy company name removed for legal purposes) includes salt in the drink so that you get thirsty quicker.  Just check out the ingredients and see the sodium content...  if my favourite thirst quencher can play games like that, when someone suggest that Horizon is added their own chemical goodies to the mix, I'm not so surprised...
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #11 on: <02-05-12/1651:36> »
Yeah, but wouldn't someone who knows the basics of chemistry recognize a few of the ingredients and become slightly..suspicious? And report it to their superior? Or the Cops? I mean I'm pretty sure even the pigs would have a problem with it, if only because nobody fucks with their donuts.

...Unless Deus sees to it that said ingredients don't get put on the ingredient labels, or unless The Sixth World has long since started eschewing measures that are common to 20th century corporations. Jeez, we're fucked.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #12 on: <02-05-12/1656:03> »
Yeah, but wouldn't someone who knows the basics of chemistry recognize a few of the ingredients and become slightly..suspicious? And report it to their superior? Or the Cops? I mean I'm pretty sure even the pigs would have a problem with it, if only because nobody fucks with their donuts.
Watch the 1989 version of "Batman", and you can see how it's done.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <02-05-12/1707:22> »
Well, there is more ways to skin the cat.
Chemical castration is only one of them
Do you think that one could be rendered sterile while in VR?
Or combination?
then you have radiation.
Then some magical, well those are beyond Deus possible controll.
Chemicals in the water, not just food, makes wonders...and this could be done using current waterworks controls
Lot of chemicals are currently part of WW polution, all they need is some kind of "catalyst" to make them work together.
Once again, using radiwawes...not necessarily matrix, just well adjusted radio frequencies.

Well this was just an idea, it doesnt prove that Deus is the one pulling the strings in Horizon...
Even if this name: Horizon...maybe Singularity would fit better :)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <02-06-12/0031:44> »
"They say the devil's greatest trick was convincing the world he didn't exist."

See, you're all thinking along the wrong track, here. You know the best way to make sure that no one wants to kill you? Make them think you're dead, get some cosmetic surgery, and set yourself up with a PR firm that can make you one of the most liked entities in the world. Deus the rogue, mass-murdering AI becomes Pulsar, crusader for understanding and peace between all creatures, whether they are meat or electons. Why would any of your old enemies come looking for you there? And with a mega with one of the best spin shops in the world at your back, anyone who tries to attack you is suddenly an insane cultist of some kind, or a bigot, or... And then you have your AI allies ready to do a little retribution in the matrix if anyone tries to hit you..

My Characters