NEWS

Berlin - In English

• 35 Replies

Kat9

« on: <01-16-12/0022:46> »
So, to be quite frank, my German is horrible but I'm interested in hearing about what's going on over there in the SR universe. Any way we can get an English version of Berlin?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-16-12/0024:10> »
Could be interesting, so I'll second this, but I want to see a definitive CAS sourcebook first, personally.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Makki

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-16-12/0116:36> »
do you mean Berlin in general, or the Berlin Souce Book?
The former might need some begging to put a few pages in one of the next supplements, the latter is unrealistic to be translated...

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-16-12/0303:04> »
You can get it also as a PDF

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=98529

but only in German

with an electronic Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

redwolf

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <01-16-12/0308:33> »
didn't fasa had a book on germane in the shadows?
yes i'm red and it's not blood, and no i'm no comy i'm just red, so are you going for that pis' or going away!!!

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #5 on: <01-16-12/0345:24> »
didn't fasa had a book on germane in the shadows?

Yes, 1st edition and in my opinion.... not very good (polite opinion :) ).  It had tons of stuff which I read and instantly regreted the experience.  Free Toxic spirits roaming every where, cities described as 'nothing interesting here', not much time spent on the interesting ones, almost no S-K stuff (!?!).  There was some good stuff.. something about a toxic orcha creature, the Troll Kingdom, the free city of Berlin (which I would like to know more about, if written well), some other stuff.  Germany sounded a mess, but the book itself was a worse mess....  really, really hard to finish.

On the original topic, would love to see this book translated.  Not sure if this book fits well with the Catalyst version (they are different publishers), but my understanding is that Shadowrun is hugely popular in Germany and the free city of Berlin always interested me.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-16-12/1341:43> »
That book is the worst.

raben-aas sent me a summary of part of the Berlin book a while ago. It's basically a divided city between the anarchists and the corps. I have a summary somewhere.
« Last Edit: <01-16-12/1348:09> by James Meiers »

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #7 on: <01-16-12/1517:44> »
Sounds like a great thing to have printed in English, especially if anyone decides to send runners into Lofwyr's back yard.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <01-16-12/1553:30> »
Yes, 1st edition and in my opinion.... not very good (polite opinion :) ).  It had tons of stuff which I read and instantly regreted the experience.  Free Toxic spirits roaming every where, cities described as 'nothing interesting here', not much time spent on the interesting ones, almost no S-K stuff (!?!).
It worth noting that when Deutschland in der Schatten was written, Saeder-Krupp was just one more random megacorporation (that happened to be owned by a great dragon and seat on Manhattan Consortium board, and wasn't even operating in Seattle). It's only when Nigel Findley wrote Corporate Shadowfiles that "The Big Eight" concept was introduced, and Saeder-Krupp as the largest of them.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #9 on: <01-16-12/1612:08> »
1)  The original Germany sourcebook published by FASA was actually written by the German Licensees at the time and translated to English.  FASA did some editing, but...  The old German stuff was really bad and really, really munchkin-esque.

2) I got to look at the physical copy of Berlin at gen Con, and it's really cool.  The city is divided, and the book is two.  It's actually a flip book, with the first half being printed one way (North to South, so to speak) and the other being printed the reverse way (South to North).  It has two different covers, and each section is written in character from a different viewpoint, so they apparently have a very different feel.

3)  We'd love to get some of the German stuff translated.  The problem is finding someone with the time and skill.

Bull

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #10 on: <01-16-12/1647:01> »
Yes, 1st edition and in my opinion.... not very good (polite opinion :) ).  It had tons of stuff which I read and instantly regreted the experience.  Free Toxic spirits roaming every where, cities described as 'nothing interesting here', not much time spent on the interesting ones, almost no S-K stuff (!?!).
It worth noting that when Deutschland in der Schatten was written, Saeder-Krupp was just one more random megacorporation (that happened to be owned by a great dragon and seat on Manhattan Consortium board, and wasn't even operating in Seattle). It's only when Nigel Findley wrote Corporate Shadowfiles that "The Big Eight" concept was introduced, and Saeder-Krupp as the largest of them.

Ahhh... did not remember that.  Reread it recently because I was running the Harliquin mission where the runners go to Bavaria.... and found it difficult.  The Berlin stuff in the book was good though (it was a fairly large book actually)

Bull, sounds like a pretty nifty book.    Like the flip side concept.  Berlin, with neo-anarchist on one side and corporations on the other.  The old book described people joining policlubs and gangs for protection etc while the corps thrived in their enclaves in a city with no laws....  pretty cool, though how people got water or power I have no idea.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <01-16-12/1653:26> »
Sounds like a great thing to have printed in English, especially if anyone decides to send runners into Lofwyr's back yard.
Actually, that would be the Rhine-Ruhr Megaplex book since S-K headquarters is in Essen.

1)  The original Germany sourcebook published by FASA was actually written by the German Licensees at the time and translated to English.  FASA did some editing, but...  The old German stuff was really bad and really, really munchkin-esque.
Pfft. There's nothing munchkin about six great dragons residing in an area the size of Wisconsin.
« Last Edit: <01-16-12/1700:29> by James Meiers »

snowRaven

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <01-16-12/1735:22> »
3)  We'd love to get some of the German stuff translated.  The problem is finding someone with the time and skill.

Bull

Someone at Pegasus is translating the english stuff to german, maybe some kind of deal could be worked out there? I guess it's the 'time' part it falls on there...

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <01-16-12/1815:37> »
Pfft. There's nothing munchkin about six great dragons residing in an area the size of Wisconsin.
Wales has three greats in an area the size of New Jersey.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <01-16-12/1816:37> »
That doesn't make it better.