NEWS

D&D5E

• 37 Replies

Socinus

• Newb
  • Emerged
« Reply #30 on: <05-11-12/2202:17> »
BEF actually had some wicked spells that I did use. Especially combining the one that made you a sex addict with the one that made orgasms deal 10d6 damage
That...is so wrong or on so many wrong levels. ORGASMS SHOULD'NT HAVE DAMAGE CODES! :-\

*Ahem* I'm cool, I'm good.

D&D 3.5 was like being shot at with a machine gun loaded with .22 rounds; it stung quite a bit but you could still manage to get through ok. D&D 4th was like being shot through the kneecap; debilitating, painful, and ultimately fatal if left untreated. I somewhat suspect 5th ed is going to follow that pattern and be a 20 story swan dive into the pavement.
In a society that has abolished all adventure, the only adventure left is to abolish that society

Characters
Firewall Character Sheet

golan2072

• Newb
  • Dwarf Tech-Wiz
« Reply #31 on: <05-21-12/0815:32> »
Well, I'm heavily into ACKS, so I don't really care for D&D 5E... Unless, of course, I'll read VERY good reviews of it after its release (then I'll buy into it a bit).

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #32 on: <05-21-12/1217:44> »
I really stopped caring after Pathfinder came out.

The only D&D GM I can find uses AD&D 2nd anyhow.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Loki

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <06-14-12/2027:12> »
Having seen the 5e playtest stuff, non spellcasters going back to vanilla attacks modified only by feats has already destroyed any possible interest I had. One of the things I like about 4e is that weapon user get to do cool things now, not just damage.

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #34 on: <06-14-12/2354:00> »
Having seen the 5e playtest stuff, non spellcasters going back to vanilla attacks modified only by feats has already destroyed any possible interest I had. One of the things I like about 4e is that weapon user get to do cool things now, not just damage.

You could always do cool things. Just use some planning or creativity. Lots of ways to use a sword besides stabbing.

Loki

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <06-15-12/0029:44> »
I more meant attacks with effects or stances and such. Utility powers add a lot to non casters too. But narrating how your hitting something adds a lot too. :)

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #36 on: <06-15-12/0111:33> »
The first time one of my players really threw me for a loop, a guy playing a dwarf rogue asked what he'd have to roll to run away from the big bad, up on chair, and moonsault him.

freddieflatline

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #37 on: <06-17-12/2216:35> »
To further illustrate my point, every Final Fantasy game after FFV is dead to me, since they moved away from high fantasy, and into magepunk. Hell, they started FFVI off with people in fragging MECHAS!

Hey now, I love Final Fantasy, and I don't think it's wrong for a game to change its feel, or for a game to be magepunk. I mean, after all, what really is Shadowrun anyway? Not high fantasy, that's certain.

But anyway, I do agree with you in that it is Dungeons & Dragons, not Mechs and Monsters, or something other comparable alliterative title referencing the magepunk nature of Eberron. :P

Over all, I can't wait for playtesting to begin, and I already have ideas where you could range from nearly classless, like Shadowrun, to uber-classed and tiered like 4e, depending on your style of campaign, or even your individual character. It might make it a little too easy to Mary Sue, and it could be hard to keep track of, but I have months to iron it out and make it public, so people can help me make it better.

Basically, it would involve a point-buy system, like Shadowrun, and your points would be portioned off for ability points, skills, feats, "level adjustments", and "features", what would have been class features. You would have available to you "class packages", which would allow you to take what would have been a level in a class, and certain restrictions will come with that. If you don't take a class package, you could spend your feature points on saving throw progressions (might want to lock that as a one-time thing to prevent powergaming based on what kind of saving throw comes up most in your campaign), weapon and armor proficiencies, combat maneuvers, spells, bonus feats, and other class abilities. Sound feasible, or too complicated? I think DMs could restrict newer players to buying class packages at every level.

I wouldn't have it be a karma-based system or anything like that; I think XP should be kept, and levels should be recorded, but you may, depending on your campaign, never hear "I'm a level 12 Paladin!" I think that this flexibility could be what everyone wants in D&D, but at the same time, be what no one wants, because it offers "too many" choices to PCs, makes the DM's job a bit harder, and would make the books significantly larger (and more expensive). But I do think this makes it customizable while keeping the D&D feel, which is the goal of this "edition", is it not?

Played in a point buy home brewed system using heavily moded 2nd ed. rules.  It was too complicated.  If they do point buy for 5th I hope they keep it relatively simple.