400pt hacker opions appreciated

• 9 Replies

KCMI

• Newb
« on: <01-12-12/2019:27> »
Wei Chen
AKA: Jonny Tong, Bo Li , Wei Guo, An Yang
Runner Name: Nimda

Wei Chen was the well off only child of An Chen, a prominent Evo scientist in Hong Kong. His father saw his talents in programming and helped foster those skills by getting him his own commlink to play with. It didn't take long but a few years later Wei discovered he liked hacking, data mining and network security a whole lot better than creating software and got into some trouble hacking into Evo’s local mainframe and poking around. He was 19 at the time and that is when he met Black Mamba, a 21 year old spider for Evo. She is the one that busted him and decided to help the wandering soul. However the friendship was cut short when an extraction job for his father went sideways. His father was happy at Evo and did not want to leave, which required the extraction team to drug him and haul him out of a 20 story skyscraper. The chopper was under attack by Evo Security and a stray bullet hit the cable carrying his father which caused him to fall to his death. Wei’s mother was never the same and died of a drug overdose a few years later. Wei, now 23 liquidated all of his family assets and took to the shadows, looking for a lead on the company that wanted his father so bad (Shiawase).

ATTRIBUTES (200 BP)
Body 4
Agility 2
Reaction 5
Strength 2
Charisma 2
Intuition 5
Logic 5
Willpower 3
Edge 2
Essence 4.25
Initiative: 10
Passes:1

Skills: (174 BP)
Pistol 2
Forgery 2
Infiltration 1 (Urban) +2
Perception 3
Dodge 1 (Ranged) +2
Etiquette 1 (Matrix) +2
Software 4
Electronic Warfare 3
Cybercombat 5
Hacking 5
Computer 3
Data Search 4
Hardware 3
Software 4
First Aid 2
Medicine 2

Knowledge (22 Free BP)
Corporate Security Procedures 5
Safe Houses 4
Matrix Security Design 4
Matrix Chat Rooms 3
Operating Systems 3
Hong Kong Triads 3

Languages (8 Free PB)
Chinese N
English 3
Japanese 3
Russian 2

Qualities (+10 BP)
Code Slinger (Hack on the Fly) (-10)
Combat Paralysis (+20)
Natural Hardening (-10)
SINner (+5) Wei Chen
Weak Immune System (+5)

Implants:
Implanted Commlink 8k (Renraku Sensei Response:5, Signal:5, Custom OS: Firewall 5, System 5)
Control Rig 10K
Cybereyes 4850 (R2 w/ Low-Light, Thermographic, Protective Covers, Smart Link, Image Link and Eye Recording Unit)
Datajack 500
Datalock (Encryption 5) 1500+2500
Skin Pocket 5k
Sleep Regulator 10k

Matrix Gear:
Subvocal Microphone
Programs: (42510)
Pocket hacker (Grey Ghost) - 4920 - Agent (Pilot 3, Browse 3, Exploit 3, Stealth 3)
Eastern Tiger - Armor 4, Biofeedback Filter 3, Medic 3, Track 4
Eurosoft Clavicula - Decrypt 5, Encrypt 5
Common Use Programs
Analyze 5
Browse 5
Command 5
Edit 5
Scan 5
Hacking Programs
Attack 5
Data Bomb 5
Defuse 5
ECCM 5
Exploit 5
Spoof 5
Stealth 5
Track 5
Sniffer 5
Black Hammer 5

Contacts (BP 14)
Sneakers - Hardware / Programer 3/2
WhiteNoise - Fixer 3/2
Black Mamba (EVO) - Spider 2/2

Gear and Lifestyle: 109,535 (22BP)
Fake Sin(4) R4 16,000
Fake Liscense (2) R4 800
Biometric Reader 200
Armor Vest 6/4 600
Yamaha Sakura Fabuki 1000
Certified Credstick 25
Low Lifestyle 3 Months -6000

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-12-12/2045:08> »
Some quick notes:

You have why-aren't-you-a-technomancer-itis, wherein you are a hacker who isn't any real use outside of hacking/rigging, and not as good at hacking/rigging as a technomancer.

You have way too many skills that you aren't any good at; you're better off being more focused at chargen.

Hacking 6, cybercombat 4 is a better idea - less karma to get up to 6/6 and honestly I don't think Cybercombat is really worth it in the first place.

You have comedy ware like Sleep Regulator and Cybereyes, a control rig and no drones, but you don't have any of the 'ware that actually makes you better at hacking like PuSHeD, Encephalon, Neocortical Nanites/Nanohive. You also don't have any 'ware that helps you fight in meatspace, or really do anything useful outside of hacking, which contributes to the not-as-good-as-a-technomancer-itis.

You might find it helpful to look at the various hacking characters in my sig for some examples of mundane hackers that can also do things besides hack (and also to compare with technomancers who are not useful except at hacking and rigging, but are much better at those two things than even a more optimal mundane hacker can be).

KCMI

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <01-12-12/2328:46> »
Some good thoughts there.  Just a note, Im just using the main book. Where are all the hacking upgrades you are referenceing?  Did I just miss them?

Also, I don't want this meatbag to be able to do anything well physical fighting wise. Its in the matrix is where he excells... or is supposed to be.  I'll change the hacking and cybercombat and look for some drones then.

Q: Does Combat Paralysis effect matrix or rigging combat as well or just full meat combat?

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-12-12/2354:04> »
Whether Combat Paralysis applies to the matrix is probably up to the GM. You might be able to work something out based on the character's background and personality. Does the Combat Paralysis stem from his fear of death? Then maybe it applies in the matrix if he runs into Black IC or something equally threatening. Is it because he's physically weak and uncoordinated? Then maybe it only applies in the real world.

Speaking of qualities, you have some room for some more if you want. Records on File would make sense, given your background. That's in Runner's Companion, not the core book.

You've left some build points on the table. You selected all four skills of the Electronics skill group, spending 56 BPs between the four of them. For 40 BPs you could take the entire skill group at rating 4, which would improve two of the skills by a point and save yourself 16 BPs in the process. That will go a long way to boosting some of your other skills.

Whether or not things like the cybereyes and sleep regulator are valuable depends on your GM and the type of game he/she runs. I've played in games where the hours were tracked and how long we had been awake was important. My character addressed the issue with Betameth, but not everyone favors the same approach. If it fits your character and what you think of his personality, go ahead and keep the regulator for roleplay reasons.

Since your Body is 4, you have room for some additional armor under the Armor Vest. Don't forget to buy some ammo too, although I presume you have extra inventory that you chose not to list.

Black Mamba's loyalty rating seems a little low, given your background, but that's your call.

I actually know someone by this name in real life. I'll have to find out if he has a skin pocket too. Edit: He does not.
« Last Edit: <01-13-12/2004:27> by Tecumseh »

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-13-12/0935:30> »
Some good thoughts there.  Just a note, Im just using the main book. Where are all the hacking upgrades you are referenceing?  Did I just miss them?

Also, I don't want this meatbag to be able to do anything well physical fighting wise. Its in the matrix is where he excells... or is supposed to be.  I'll change the hacking and cybercombat and look for some drones then.

Q: Does Combat Paralysis effect matrix or rigging combat as well or just full meat combat?

They're from Augmentation, so you don't have access to them.

You should be aware that if your goal is to make someone who is only useful on the matrix, you will be like a technomancer, but worse. If you're OK with that, then yeah, that's probably what you want to do.

Natural Hardening is pure crap - 10 points for +1 to Biofeedback filter is a poor deal, because when you soak damage you would be rolling Willpower + Biofeedback Filter, and you could also just pay 10 points for +1 Willpower.

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <01-13-12/1056:54> »
They're in Augmentation and they provide bonus dice to logic-linked skills which include all computer related skills.  Since you're just using the main book, your choices are more limited.  However, the broad outline of Umaro's point is still true.

A technomancer is much better at hacking than a mundane hacker.  They just pay out of the nose for the privilege.  Thus, technomancers are best at "van hacking" where you are a hacker that stays in the van in a coma.  A mundane hacker's advantages is being slightly better at some off tasks (baring sprite use) and the ability to do non-hacking related things well.  It's easy to make a mundane hacker that's also good at combat.  This is especially true with just the main book since Wired Reflexes 2 works so well for AR hacking. 

Now one problem with technomancers is that with just the main book, you're restricted to the Cyberadept stream which is one of the weaker streams.  Unwired introduces streams that allow a technomancer to use other mental attributes instead of Willpower to resist Fade.  I'm not sure I'll recommend getting Unwired.  While there's some quite important things for hackers in it such as the other technomancer streams and program options, overall it's not very good.

However if you want to stay mundane, you can still get it to work.  I'll get Hacking 6 (lower or remove cybercombat).  Follow Tecumseh's advice about the Electronics skill group.  You also have Software listed twice. For the rest of your skills, I would think about dropping them or getting them at 1 or 4 (for better karma efficiency).  Personally, I'll drop forgery (only good for forging art) and dodge (the three extra dice won't help you much).  Also I wouldn't get specializations at creation due to their cheapness with karma.  I'll considering raising first aid to 4 for reasons I'll discuss later.

Qualitieswise, you should cap out your negative qualities.  They add flavor and give you needed points.  I'll also drop Natural Hardening.  If you really are worried about Black IC, get +1 willpower or be willing to AR hack.

Now for gear.  This requires a big overhaul.  Basically you have a lot of nifty ware.  It's cool but actually not that important.  I'll drop everything you have now until you're sure you have your bases covered.  I will admit that my suggestions will turn you into a poor man's street samurai.  However, it's cheap and indirectly helps with hacking.   Wired Reflexes 2 is still a good buy even if you have combat paralysis*.  +2 reaction helps and you get 3 IPs.  This also means you can AR hack as fast as VR hack. 

Then I'll get a cyberarm of awesome.  I explain how cyberlimbs work here.  Since you're a hacker at heart, here's my suggested loadout.
Full Obvious Cyberlimb 1 15000Y (Left or Right, whatever your dominant hand is)
Customization: Body 6 Strength 3 Agility 6, 6 levels customization 9000Y
Agility Enhancement 3 [3] 750Y
Body Enhancement  3 [3] 600Y
Commlink [2] *2000Y (Moved at no change in cost)
Armor Enhancement 2 [4] 600Y
Datajack [1] *500Y (Moved at no change in cost)
Free Slots [2]
Total Price: 1 essence 28450Y (25950Y if you just move your existing cyberware)

That gives you an 9 agility with the arm and an overall body of 5.  With Pistols 1 and a smartlink, you'll be rolling 12 dice which more than acceptable.  The body gives you an extra die for resisting damage and maybe the ability to wear heavier armor.  You also get +2/+2 armor and a physical condition monitor box.  You're not a street samurai nor can you sneak well.  But if you have to be on site, get ambushed, or dudes attack your van, you can at least help.  With the two free slots, I'll either buy Armor 3 in play or leave it open for a Nanohive (found in Augmentation).  After these purchases, I'll then look into nifty ware.

I'll also look into cerebral boosters 3 during play.  It looks like you're digging the logic skills and cerebral boosters help those.  They don't help with hacking, but they'll help with first aid, hardware, and software.  If you have cerebral boosters 3, first aid 4, and a first aid kit, you'll be rolling 18 dice.  That's 4 boxes healed on average.  I suggest that you ignore the boxes healed is capped at skill rule (SR4A 252) or at least let the medkit "raise" it to 6.  Otherwise, you're going to run into cases where you'll be better off not knowing anything about first aid.

*- You end up with Initiative 12 roll 6 dice.  That's Initiative 14 on average which is still okay.  You'll get 16 without combat paralysis. 
« Last Edit: <01-13-12/1100:37> by Tsuzua »

baronspam

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-13-12/1313:34> »

Hacking 6, cybercombat 4 is a better idea - less karma to get up to 6/6 and honestly I don't think Cybercombat is really worth it in the first place.

The first part of this I agree with.  Hacking 6 cybercombat 4 is better out the door. 

In general, Cybercombat is your last option.  It is almost always better to try to to stealth, mute, and disarm your way past things.  Only cybercombat when there is absolutely no other choice.  Having said that, sometimes there is no other choice, and for a non-technomancer who doesn't have access to the Shield complex form or a sprite to duke it out for your, I think having cybercombat at least for the defense is reasonable.  Also, there may be times when you are on the defensive in a matrix situation (you are on a hijacking job and you have to keep the enemy spider out of the vehicle node, you are hired for security and you are gong to be playing the spider, not the hacker for a change.)  When building a hacker I would rather have cybercombat and not need it than need it and not have it.  But having said that, most of the time standing there and swinging attack programs back and forth is silly, but I think not having it is a bit like not taking dodge just because you have good stealth skills. 

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <01-13-12/1346:39> »
But having said that, most of the time standing there and swinging attack programs back and forth is silly, but I think not having it is a bit like not taking dodge just because you have good stealth skills.
Comparing it to Dodge is an apt comparison.  It isn't that it's useless.  It's just not worth the cost for the very few times it comes up.  16 BP is another skill at 4, 1.5 attribute points, or 80,000Y all of which can be stuff you use a heck of a lot of times.

Edited Disclaimer: The matrix is a lie.  It's a giant mess of rules and half-remember rules/houserules that your GM might be all "all nodes have hacking set to no unless you beat up everyone in a matrix kung fu battle" and could likely have support for it.  This is also not getting into the thousand of more iffy matrix stuff.

If you're in cybercombat, you've been caught or you're going to raise an alert*.  If you're caught, you're better off trying to finish off whatever you were doing and leaving, using an agent to fight for you, or leaving and trying again.  Or if you got the right privileges, just use those to pave your way to victory**.  If you're not caught, you can order the system into a state that will not let it detect you (via unloading agents and analysis for example).

There's also the fact that cybercombat really isn't a winning strategy.  Against a spider, it really don't do much if they're in AR.  They just log back in and they're there again.  Against an agent, they just reload.  The penalties for losing isn't that big for you either unless you're a technomancer.  Mundane hackers excel at AR.  Just get in via VR if you want the +2 dice and then switch to AR as a free action if you're worried about a kung fu fight.  The black IC jamming doesn't happen until you get hit. 

There's also that Cybercombat applies only to offensive uses of matrix combat.  Defense is Response + Firewall, and Soak is System + Armor/Biofeedback. 

By no means take this to mean don't worry about armor or biofeedback.  It's just Cybercombat is a heavy investment for so little gain.  I would suggest getting my hands on a high rating agent with Armor., Attack, and Analyze as a defender if I was worried.

*- I assume "taking matrix damage from a source that I can't see" is going to trigger a general alarm.
**- Unwired has a rule were you'll have to beat the system in an opposed Hacking + X versus Firewall+System+4 test.  You can likely face tank till you win or leave.
« Last Edit: <01-13-12/1350:24> by Tsuzua »

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <01-13-12/1544:03> »
It's also worth noting that if you do care about winning at cybercombat as a hacker, the way to do so is agents with the Cascading program option (from Unwired). That will actually win cybercombats for you - but as Tsuzua noted, it's more like "win" cybercombat, because it's the SR version of the special olympics. You are nearly always better off kicking people than doing cybercombat. Another option is to use Disarm (which is Hacking-based) to remove people's ability to hit you back.

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #9 on: <01-13-12/1952:39> »
If you're deadset on VR, keep a small combat drone like the LEBD1 or even just a few iBalls, to watch your back. Add Improved Sensor Array and the best Clearsoft you can afford. Load each with cascading defensive programs, and do the same with a defensive agent to defend you in cybercombat until you get what you need. You dont have to win cybercombat, just survive it.