NEWS

Steampunk

• 9 Replies

Ronin

• Newb
« on: <12-28-11/1630:08> »
Konichiwa Jackpoint

Being toying around with the idea of having a steampunk campaign (using SR4 rules) running alongside my Shadowrun campaign.  I love both and so thought one week could be Shadowrun and the next could be Steampunk. I thought that we could use the same characters as our runners but make em steampunk.  Maybe swap a couple of skills around, add some skills that aren't in SR4, get rid of the metatypes (Steampunk is rich enough and I think that fantasy races may ruin the feel)  If we start with the same character builds (or close enough) but they earn and spend Karma separately in each campaign, it'd be interesting to see how different the characters end up. It also gives me a safety net if I find myself lacking inspiration for one universe for a while.  Has anyone done a steampunk campaign or used SR4 rules for a different setting?  Got any tips?  Have an idea for a steampunk contraption (and rule suggestions)? Got any ideas for steampunk skills, gear or contacts (like a clock-maker)?  C'mon llwchwr, you think a steampunk campaign would be alright?

Thanks guys (and gals)
 (I seem to be in a brackets mood today)  :)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <12-28-11/1637:35> »
Here's a good starting point.  The system it uses is very similar to Shadowrun, but Shadowrun does have a few advantages over it.

It's an RPG based off the music of Abney Park, which I can't suggest enough for ideas.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Ronin

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <12-28-11/1645:08> »
Thanks CanRay, reminds me of tthe edge chronicles (a series of books I remember from my childhood).  Abney Park rock so I might have a butchers at this book.  Airship pirates would probably play a part in it.  Im thinking of having Britain and France like your typical Victorian steampunk, America as a clockwork 1920s with gumshoe detectives and Irish mobsters, Japan having steam powered samurai robots and flying castle fortresses.  The Caribbean could have sky-pirates.  now where could be a more technologically advanced raygun gothic nation?  :-\

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #3 on: <12-28-11/1701:47> »
Serbia.

Nikola Tesla's homeland.  Maybe he never left?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Blond Goth Girl

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <12-28-11/1807:55> »
I suggest Space 1899 as a resource.

http://www.space1889.org/

http://www.heliograph.com/space1889/

Hope it helps

Ronin

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <12-29-11/0559:13> »
Serbia.

Nikola Tesla's homeland.  Maybe he never left?

Cosmonauts in tesla coil powered rocket ships? I like it!

I suggest Space 1899 as a resource.

http://www.space1889.org/

http://www.heliograph.com/space1889/

Hope it helps

Thanks, this could help for the adventures of said cosmonauts  :)

Somtaaw0

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <02-12-12/2018:32> »
If you are a bookaholic like myself checkout "Doomsday Vault" by Steven Harper.  Though its not really steampunk you might also check out "Death of the Necromancer" and the Fall of Ile-Rien series(Wizard Hunters, Ships of Air, and Gate of the Gods) by Martha Wells.
I felt a great disturbance in the force. As if a significant plotline suddenly cried out in terror... and was suddenly silenced.--Torg @ Sluggy.com

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <02-13-12/0345:43> »
Leviathan book series.
The new Abney Park and Girl Genius books too
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

Parker

• Omae
  • Remember, can't spell damage without mage!
« Reply #8 on: <03-07-12/1747:26> »
  Sounds like a great idea to me!  Heck, it gives me excuse to dig out my Iron-Kingdoms books and use the low-fantasy material from there with a little creative brain juice to whip up a nice alternate, low-fantasy, game to accentuate my own Shadowrun game. 8)
I'm not Mad...insane a bit...but not mmmaaaddd!
(insane giggle as lightning flashes and thunder rolls.)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: <03-07-12/1909:53> »
The guy playing the Quartermaster in my Airship Pirates game has specifically demanded we not get the Steampunk Time Machine for the AS Nautilus.

"There's not enough Rum in the world for the carnage we'll cause in the world!"

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Register