NEWS

300bp characters.

• 49 Replies

Fenris

• Newb
« Reply #45 on: <02-09-12/1430:19> »

Finally, it should be taken into account the frequency of game sessions. The sense of character accomplishment and progress evaporates quickly when you have to wait a month or more for a new adventure. In this case, the advantages of a low BP game would not be felt by the players; these games would certainly be more fun with powerful characters.

This stuck out to me quite a bit. In our case...our main SR game gets to play roughly three times a year. Plus, we don't use huge Karma awards. Needless to say, we don't often get to go much of anywhere in terms of development; this is why the 750 Karma, RC edition is so good for us. We can have some great fun in the short time we get to play, maybe pick up a couple of small skills, but still not feel like we're held back too much.

I also admit to enjoying a slightly more well oiled character myself. I don't mind a low powered game, but I'd prefer that to be a game that I can actually play in rather regularly in that case. For me, part of the fun of playing lower end people is the actual growth that you see them do from ''peon'' to ''awesome'' over time, through all the hard work and blood. Getting to play 3 times a year with low Karma awards doesn't quite let one see that, so in that case, we just come out on the ''Oiled Pro(with a pink 'hawk, of course!) but not Prime material'' and move up slowly from that.

SteelFox

• Newb
  • Jungle Elf Sniper
« Reply #46 on: <02-09-12/2338:39> »

Finally, it should be taken into account the frequency of game sessions. The sense of character accomplishment and progress evaporates quickly when you have to wait a month or more for a new adventure. In this case, the advantages of a low BP game would not be felt by the players; these games would certainly be more fun with powerful characters.

This stuck out to me quite a bit. In our case...our main SR game gets to play roughly three times a year. Plus, we don't use huge Karma awards. Needless to say, we don't often get to go much of anywhere in terms of development; this is why the 750 Karma, RC edition is so good for us. We can have some great fun in the short time we get to play, maybe pick up a couple of small skills, but still not feel like we're held back too much.

I also admit to enjoying a slightly more well oiled character myself. I don't mind a low powered game, but I'd prefer that to be a game that I can actually play in rather regularly in that case. For me, part of the fun of playing lower end people is the actual growth that you see them do from ''peon'' to ''awesome'' over time, through all the hard work and blood. Getting to play 3 times a year with low Karma awards doesn't quite let one see that, so in that case, we just come out on the ''Oiled Pro(with a pink 'hawk, of course!) but not Prime material'' and move up slowly from that.

Three times a year?! I wouldn't remember my character's name after so long! ;P
"It is the stories you tell, not the enemies who fell." - FastJack

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #47 on: <02-10-12/0031:55> »

Three times a year?! I wouldn't remember my character's name after so long! ;P

I have a hard time remembering my character's name after three weeks without a session...  :P
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Fenris

• Newb
« Reply #48 on: <02-10-12/0034:51> »
Well, my main GM is in the US, and we only visit once a year. I now live in Helsinki with my husband, so actually getting to play constantly with the whole table is a bit of a problem, to say the least.

I luckily keep good records of characters. My husband does as well, so we get by.  ;D

Red

• Omae
  • Good plans load the dice. Good stories trump them.
« Reply #49 on: <02-12-12/0852:01> »
We have an alt game that does this. VERY low power, VERY high creativity, moxy and story. Having a blast with it, too. Forces you to be humble and clever, two things well-remembered in cyberpunk stories.
"My writing is more akin to a cook than a farmer: give me the pieces, and what comes out of it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Give me nothing, and I just stare dumbly. It's a failing, but then, it's also a living."

ShadowSea, for my players.
http://shadowsea.webnode.com/