NEWS

[STCG] Card Game Collecting Lessons Learned

• 2 Replies

Freejack

• Newb
  • Weirdo Freak
« on: <12-01-11/0707:52> »
Shadowrun Trading Card Game - 1997.

So Bull posted a little blurb that he'd picked up a set of STCG cards from ebay months back. At the same time I picked up a booster box (450 cards) from ebay for $100 just to see what the cards were about. With Bull's comments and followups from his post plus some investigating, I thought I'd check it out.

I picked up a starter box (69 cards, 1 turn sequence card, and the rules booklet) so I could get the rules and found a listing of the cards that come in the set. At about $12 per starter box, I figured I'd just need to get sufficient boosters and I'll get a set. Someone in Michagan was selling booster boxes on ebay for $40 a box which was better than the $100 I initially shelled out (kicking myself, I know).

I whipped up a web page to track my purchases and over the past 6 months or so, started picking up boxes. I sorted them as they came in, picked up a couple of 1,000 card boxes from the FLGS and was on my way. I was getting just a box or two at a time but the added shipping was annoying and I still wasn't getting the full set. After 4 booster boxes and three more starter boxes, I had almost a full set. I was missing a few rares and oddly enough, a few commons. I did have all the uncommons though.

The past couple of months, I made bigger purchases eventually having 13 booster boxes for a total of 9,500 cards (roughly). I have an average of 5 of each of the rares, 35 of each of the uncommons and 75 of each of the commons. There are a few rares where I have 2 or even 1 in a couple of cases. The strange thing though was I was still pretty low on commons on several cards and missing three commons entirely.

It was a tad frustrating. I mean, commons are supposed to be common, right?

Well, last Saturday we had our third annual Thanksgiving game day at one of the FLGS' and I'd decided to play STCG. I got the rules down (actually I retyped them so I had a full sized set of rules) and pulled out four decks from a German site (translating some of the cards was interesting; I had to make a few educated guesses). At one point, I changed the sort order on my inventory listing. Just to make it easier to pull cards. I needed Runner, Objective, Challenge, Contact, Location, and Special cards and found it easier when sorted in that order.

When I got to the Objective cards, I was suprised to find I was light in this area with the three missing commons being Objectives and a majority of the others at 1 or 2 cards, even the commons. Almost as soon as I saw this, *ping*, I realized. I didn't have enough starter packs. A starter pack has to have a selection of all cards especially Objectives. Otherwise how could a couple of folks with starter packs play?

Well I'd noticed that the same place I'd been getting the boosters also had 4 boxes of starter packs (10 starter packs per box so 40 starter packs). They were $60 per box. Since I'd recently done some side work on a computer, I had the funds handy and picked up all four boxes. They arrived yesterday. I opened the very first starter pack and sure enough, of the 6 or 7 Objectives, one was one of the common's I was missing and all were needed to increase the low count Objectives I already had.

Doh!

So I now likely have a complete set or two (or three). I learned the difference between Starter Pack and Boosters :)  And I made someones Christmas.

Oh, she was nice enough to pack the four starter pack boxes with 18 individual booster packs :D  I've already given her good ratings but I think I'll send her a quick thank you message as well.

Carl

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #1 on: <12-09-11/1949:19> »
Shadowrun TCG had a collation problem as well, which doesn't help matters any.  A pack of cards should, in theory, be completely random.  And yet, if you kept track (and as I'm sure you've noticed), you would sometimes see the exact same groups of cards showing up in a pack, in the exact same order.  To make matters worse, different shipping areas got different collation groups.  So you would have one set of uncommons and rares that you got a lot of, yet never saw another set because distribution put them on the West Coast, or whatever.

It was really annoying.

IIRC, there was a Magic set at one point that suffered a similar problem.  So it wasn't unique to FASA and the SRTCG, at least.

Bull

Freejack

• Newb
  • Weirdo Freak
« Reply #2 on: <12-10-11/2211:22> »
Oh yea, I definately noticed that. The Objectives in the Starter boxes ran a specific set of, I think 10 cards. With 6 or so cards per pack, they'd rotate. Plus they were reverse alphabetical. So it'd ba Assassination, Wetwork, then Tiki Head Enigma.

With having to buy several Starter decks, you were keeping others from buying and playing. Plus other objectives were few and far between in the Starters so you had to buy boosters.

And even with so many cards, I still have a few where I only have one or two cards. At least they're actual rares :)

And thanks for gettin me interested :)  The group did have a good time with it. I'm seeing if I can do a decent evaluation of the cards.

Carl

Register