NEWS

Fire Support

• 26 Replies

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« on: <11-16-11/1120:18> »
For the role of Fire Support (Physical) what are some of the must haves?

I'm think skillwise I'd prioritize Heavy Weapons over Automatics (IE put more BP into the Heavy Weapons skill - like Heavy Weapons 6, Automatics 4) , get Athletics or Dodge (obviously depending on melee skill),

Pick up the Ready Weapon as Free Action and Aim as Free Action Martial Arts advantages, and Biocompatibility (Bioware)

'warewise - Wired Reflexes, Eyes and Ears ( I know I can replicate with earbuds and glasses/contacts but I like the flavor of eyes), Reflex recorder for Heavy Weapons or Automatics, Orthoskin and Bone Density for soaking up the damage Muscle toner and Synthcardium.

Not looking for the most efficient use of points as much as obvious  "OMG That's fuggin stupid" and "How can you NOT have this?" - So folks, any thoughts? Anything I might have missed or forgot about?

Thanks in advance. 
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <11-16-11/1238:06> »
Prioritize, but still have Automatics.  Sometimes you need to smuggle in a SMG that's been modified to accept drum magazines (...  No, not going to say it this time) for some (very) light suppressive fire.  Or a break-down assault rifle with same.

I'd suggest the Armorer skill as well.

Some kind of high-loyalty contact with a Crooked Quartermaster as well, for cheap bulk ammo, launched grenades, assault cannon rounds, and for the rare occasions you need a mortar.  (Willie Peter has so many fun uses!  But even a High-Intensity Parachute Flare at the right time can make all the difference, and won't get the Guard/Military on you afterwards!).
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <11-16-11/1304:49> »
Firearms as a group, and Heavy Weapons. If your role is 'shooter', then if there's a gun at hand, you need to be able to shoot it, and well, whether it is a hold-out or an HMG. Armorer is essential.

Weapons, I'd go with an Ares Predator IV, the HK assault rifle that reconfigures into half a dozen modes, and a Panther XXL. Gives you a lot of diversity, with only three weapons to maintain.

Other gear, you gotta have armor. If you can swing some milspec, all the better, but have another outfit for situations where overkill might be inappropriate. Between the PPP system and the mods in Attitude, you can get a good bit of armor, even before turning to 'ware.

Get a vehicle. You do NOT want to try and take the heavy weapons on public transport. I like the Bulldog, simply because of the room, but any truck or van will do.

Ammo. I like EX Exploding ammo for what I can get at chargen, but APDS and AV ammo are good too. Grenades are always your friend, natch.

Take a melee skill. There WILL be times when 'unleash hell' is the wrong choice, and being able to use your fists, or your blade, or your club will make all the difference. If you can swing it, Close Combat as a group is nice, especially if you can get your hands on that Smart-weapon from War!
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <11-16-11/1309:52> »
The HK that is multiconfigurable is too high an availability for most people at chargen.

fwiw, I've gradually been growing fond of the M22A3. Yes, it's 1600¥. On the other hand it's the only AR with an underbarrel GL that's still available. 9R, even.

a lot of grenades may be traps, but not all.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-16-11/1312:16> »
Restricted gear quality, my friend. Helps you get that extra oomph you need. And street sammies have a lot of BP to spread around, since your gear is capped at 50 BP, and there's only so much ware you can stick in yourself due to Essence concerns.

My Characters

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <11-16-11/1314:50> »
The HK XM30 is 15F.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <11-16-11/1328:08> »
Yes, and Restricted Gear allows you to get an item up to 20F. Which also means that Red Samurai armor is within reach.

My Characters

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #7 on: <11-16-11/1624:22> »
Which also means that Red Samurai armor is within reach.
Also highly forbidden and even more noticeable.

The XM30's not really worth 5BP + money imo. If you can't smuggle in two or three guns, you're also not going to be able to smuggle in the swappable parts of the XM30. Statwise there's always better options in its class too.

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <11-16-11/1646:26> »
I'm not that big on military armor.  It's pricey and obvious a mile away.  Stacked armor is almost as good (especially with softweave) and legal nine times out of ten.  With a body of 7 (easy if you're an ork or troll), you can easily have 17/15 armor and that's nearly heavy military + helmet and you can walk down the street just fine.  Heck with some care, you might be able to walk into a fancy party in that getup (or with a small hit to armor). 

As for fire support, I've become a big fan of going pistols + heavy weapons.  You use pistols when you can't use the heavy stuff and then heavy weapons when it's time to go all out.  You also can go automatics only and live with machine pistols and assault/battle rifles.  Sadly you're likely going to have to outsource your armoring to either a high logic PC or contact.

Another way to do fire support is though drones.  They can pack quite a wallop either in autonomous or command mode.  If you can get one with an reinforced mount, things can get quite deadly.  An example of this sort of guy is Umaro's Mercenary Rigger.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #9 on: <11-16-11/1727:06> »
AK-98 (Arsenal Page 26, and goes back to older main rulebooks) has an underbelly GL.  Cheaper and easier available than the M22A3, and the AK-97 clips (UGH!!!) are interchangeable.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #10 on: <11-16-11/1850:46> »
I'm not that big on military armor.  It's pricey and obvious a mile away.  Stacked armor is almost as good (especially with softweave) and legal nine times out of ten.

Plus, you can replace that outer Mortimer of London Greatcoat Line suit with a Heavy Military Armor suit when the going gets tough and really soak up the hits.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Joush

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <11-16-11/1920:04> »
For the role of Fire Support (Physical) what are some of the must haves?

I'm think skillwise I'd prioritize Heavy Weapons over Automatics (IE put more BP into the Heavy Weapons skill - like Heavy Weapons 6, Automatics 4) , get Athletics or Dodge (obviously depending on melee skill),

Pick up the Ready Weapon as Free Action and Aim as Free Action Martial Arts advantages, and Biocompatibility (Bioware)

'warewise - Wired Reflexes, Eyes and Ears ( I know I can replicate with earbuds and glasses/contacts but I like the flavor of eyes), Reflex recorder for Heavy Weapons or Automatics, Orthoskin and Bone Density for soaking up the damage Muscle toner and Synthcardium.

Not looking for the most efficient use of points as much as obvious  "OMG That's fuggin stupid" and "How can you NOT have this?" - So folks, any thoughts? Anything I might have missed or forgot about?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think you need Biocompatability (bioware), given that your taking Wired Reflexes and bioware has generally low essence cost anyway.

When you can, I tend to prefer the Athletics skill group to picking up ranks in doge, as the mobility powers that come with Athletics SG, especially when enhanced with a syncardium, can let you get into places where other people can't.

HW 6, Automatics 4 is enough to handle most situations. You have machine pistols for concealed and every day carry, assault rifles with underbarrel grenade launchers for many situations, and machine guns for heavy combat.

I'd personally pick up trauma damper and platelet factories before I went for Orthoskin and Bone Density augs, but there is no one way to go when it comes to survivbility upgrades.

I'm with you on eyes and ears.. they are the only way to get the upgrades you want in a single package at creation, can't be stolen, can record everything you see and hear and ears offer the Damper mod, something unavailable to other audio devices.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <11-16-11/2146:17> »
HW 6, Automatics 4 is enough to handle most situations. You have machine pistols for concealed and every day carry, assault rifles with underbarrel grenade launchers for many situations, and machine guns for heavy combat.

Ares HVBR w/ Full Auto mod + 100 Rnd Drum mod + Gas Vent 3 + Barrel Extension + Improved Rangefinder + Tripod + Sling

Better range and damage stats than anything except a full-blown HMG and able to eat 100% of the High Velocity full-auto when you extend the tripod. Cost is a whopping 10,210¥, but that's actually not much more than a stock HMG and a stock AR or BR... plus you save the BP you'd be spending on Heavy Weapons.

EDIT: Can also go Ares HVBR w/ Full Auto mod + Internal Sound Suppressor + Electronic Firing + Tripod + Sling. That config leaves you with the stock 48 round clip and a much more discrete activity profile for only 5,510¥.
« Last Edit: <11-16-11/2155:05> by JustADude »
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <11-16-11/2227:10> »
Plus, you can replace that outer Mortimer of London Greatcoat Line suit with a Heavy Military Armor suit when the going gets tough and really soak up the hits.

Sadly the great flaw of military armor is that you can't wear other armor with them.  That's why I'm so meh on it. 

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <11-16-11/2311:44> »

Sadly the great flaw of military armor is that you can't wear other armor with them.  That's why I'm so meh on it.
:o Then why would anyone use it over stacked armor?
― Albert Einstein

― Me