NEWS

Favorite Non-Shadowrun RPG (Rules and/or Setting)

• 356 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #15 on: <09-04-10/2024:24> »
I've always been of two minds regarding the Worlds of Darkness. On the one hand, it's a terrifically creative world with lots of possibilities and options. On the other hand, I just don't like the rules system (and don't ask why, it's just a random peeve of mine).

Although, my friend and I try to have fun at conventions when we find there LARPing Vamps running around. One convention, a group were going to have a Midnight to Dawn session where they were given free reign of the hotel's conference rooms and hallways, as long as they were respectful of the other guests. Me (the Mage fan) and my best friend (the Werewolf fan) figured it be fun to start the rumor that vampire hunters (our Mage and Werewolf characters) were present at the Con and we were looking for blood. Scared the leeches so bad, they decided to stay in one room with a locked door and no wandering. :P

street.mage

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <09-04-10/2140:13> »
I've always been of two minds regarding the Worlds of Darkness. On the one hand, it's a terrifically creative world with lots of possibilities and options. On the other hand, I just don't like the rules system (and don't ask why, it's just a random peeve of mine).

Although, my friend and I try to have fun at conventions when we find there LARPing Vamps running around. One convention, a group were going to have a Midnight to Dawn session where they were given free reign of the hotel's conference rooms and hallways, as long as they were respectful of the other guests. Me (the Mage fan) and my best friend (the Werewolf fan) figured it be fun to start the rumor that vampire hunters (our Mage and Werewolf characters) were present at the Con and we were looking for blood. Scared the leeches so bad, they decided to stay in one room with a locked door and no wandering. :P

That is absolutely hysterical! :D

I really like WOD as well as 2E/3.0/3.5 D&D.  I was amazed by what Paizo has done with Pathfinder and will definitely want to try it sometime in the future.  Their products, from the story lines to the artwork and cartography (especially the cartography), is very, very high quality stuff.  I've played the Saga Edition Star Wars game and it is good stuff too.  Of course; as another poster said already, its not being made anymore.  But I really like the rules for WOD from what I've played.  I've never played Mage, but Werewolf and Vampire is pretty fun.  Hunter looks really fun in the new edition as well (never played it though).  I really didn't like the flavor of Promethean and Changeling.

Unfortunately, I went the 4.0 D&D route (groans).  I bought into the "We're making the game better and easier to play and teach, and it's oh so fun."  I played it for a couple of years or so, and found Shadowrun toward the end of the second year.  I then realized 4E D&D wasn't really much for me, and I had way more fun with SR than just about any D&D game.  It makes me happy that Paizo took off in another direction from 4.E.

I prefer SR to just about anything now.  Not really enough time for me to play in (or run) more than one game at this stage in life.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <09-04-10/2252:50> »
I wish I had time for more gaming. But between life and work I have time for the random game of BattleTech every month or three and whatever casual electronic game I feel like ending my day with. Oh, and Mass Effect 2 when I have the random evening off.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #18 on: <09-04-10/2321:42> »
Hell if I've got a favorite.  When I turn my head and scan my game shelves, what do I see and have fond memories of?

D&D 2nd, 3rd, 3.5 (haven't really played 4th yet), plus assorted supplements and setting books.  Serenity RPG -- mostly for the fluff and the autographs I got at Dragon*Con that year.  An assortment of World of Darkness stuff, the older edition, mostly Werewolf and Vampire but with a smattering of Mage and Changeling for flavor.  Fat stacks of Warmachine and Hordes books, naturally, along with every No Quarter (and doubles or triples of a few that hold sentimental value ;) ), a reasonable horde of old WEG Star Wars d6 games -- which I'm playing in a couple on-line games right now, and having a blast -- and I got the first few d20 rules books for Star Wars but it just didn't sit well.  Right now I'm in a few HERO/Champions tabletop games, too, and while I've only got the core books for the new edition, I've got stacks and stacks of sourcebooks from the last edition, just enjoying reading over 'em and seeing how fleshed out their comic book universe is.  I was hardcore into Warhammer 40k for a couple years, buying up every Codex to keep up with the Jones's, and I still have my fair share of 40k wargame and Dark Heresy RPG books.  I've gotten lots of fun out of all of 'em, as fun as GW is to pick on sometimes.

Right this second, if I had to pick a "Rookie of the Year" game?  It'd be Dresden Files RPG, hands down, and that's coming from someone who's not even familiar with the novels.  My wife is a huge fan of the series, so I got her the books for her birthday -- which happened to come with the pdf copies for free, which meant I had a few weeks to read over 'em and fall in love.  Once the hardcopies arrived I liked them even more;  they're just fantastically put-together books, beautiful artwork, characterful notes in the margins, plain-speaking throughout the rulebook and with a very interesting character and setting creation mechanic.  As they say, "Character creation is play," and they're not kidding.  Our group spent hours and hours creating a small Oklahoma town to be our stomping ground/protectorate, just as long weaving our characters together and fleshing them out, and only then finally turned the character sheets over to write down any numbers, skills, or magical abilities.  It's a really cool way to kick-off a campaign.  Well made books, an interesting mechanic/system, and very story driven creation.  I'm diggin' it, so far.

And, uh, all that is ignoring the fact that fully 1/3 of my total shelf space -- counting graphic novels, mind you, not just all my assorted gaming and wargaming books -- is taken up by my beloved Shadowrun.  ;)

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <09-05-10/0525:27> »
I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Dresden Files game.  I'll have to check it out.

@Fastjack:  (Good job on the name pick, BTW.)  Scaring vampire LARPers.  Hilarious, and full of win.

My favorite games (In order from most to lesser):

Shadowrun
Iron Kingdoms (it's d20/3.5 right now, but PP is coming out with their own system for it sometime soon)
Earthdawn (I like the prehistory)
Pathfinder
Mechwarrior (what can I say?  I like FASA's stuff)
Exalted (though that is fading with the news of this new Scarlet Empress junk, any more like that and I'll drop it altogether)

I literally have hundreds of game books for dozens of game settings.  I collect them, but I want to play them all, too.  Haven't found many groups that want to play "Teenagers from Outer Space" that much, though.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Cynickle

« Reply #20 on: <09-05-10/0603:25> »
I am a Battletech fan/ I used to like D&D and then they came out with 4.0 and TSR stopped getting my drachmas.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <09-05-10/0910:53> »

Which edition?
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #22 on: <09-05-10/0958:23> »
Call of Cthulhu (my first Love!)
Dark Conspiracy (with own setting and many selfmade stuff)
Little Fears
nWoD (or the old Hunter, when they didn't have Superpowers and such...)
Cyberpunk
GURPS or BRP
SLA

To Do List:
- Dresden Files
- Supernatural
- Cthulhutech
- Doctor Who

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <09-05-10/1000:29> »

Which edition?
I first played the first edition, and I've made characters for a later edition (third...I think).  I believe there is a most current edition, but I don't know what that is.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #24 on: <09-05-10/1127:32> »
James Bond 007
Oh, I miss me some James Bond 007. So very seldom have I found a system that fits its license so well.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #25 on: <09-05-10/1202:59> »
I've been playing RPGs since 1980. Cut my teeth on AD&D 1st, moved on to some Traveller and some Gamma World...and then FASA came out with their Star Trek RPG, and I've been hooked since.

Discovered Alternity and Dark*Matter a little too late, but they still come off the shelves once in a while when I'm feeling in an odd mood.

So I like SR, but I love my Star Trek RPGs, all kinds of them (FASA, LUG, Deviper...er, Decipher). Like my Star Wars D20 Saga edition. I'm actually playing in a Star Trek game at the moment, the first time in a long time. I've got just about as much shelf space devoted to Trek RPGs as I do to SR, but that's just because most of the Trek RPG material I have is made up of very thin books.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #26 on: <09-05-10/1441:18> »
James Bond 007
Oh, I miss me some James Bond 007. So very seldom have I found a system that fits its license so well.
Ah... And they used the same system for the Indiana Jones RPG. Meaning you could have the two of them run into each other... ;)

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #27 on: <09-05-10/1629:20> »
Wow all the games listed an no one likes Rifts????

Sigh guess I now know why no one is ever interested.

I played D&D (heck I played with Dave Arneson.... Once lol) but 3rd came out I didn't like it never touched it again.

Way back in ye old 1989 friends introduced me to this game called Shadowrun what can I say I loved the mix of Tech and Fantasy then we played some Rifts I was like yep this is my type of game.

Don't think I've played pure Fantasy sence even games like World of Warcraft have some Tech stuff to them maybe Dragon Age been a few months so don't remember if there was anything "Tech" wise in it.
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

MJBurrage

• Newb
  • Running shadows since 2050
« Reply #28 on: <09-06-10/0053:27> »
  • Shadowrun (SR4 > SR3/SR2 > SR1)
  • D&D (PF/3.x > AD&D > original)
  • Star Wars (d6 > Saga > d20)
  • Twilight 2000 (2nd Ed. character generation is my favourite of all RPGs)

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <09-07-10/0248:50> »
James Bond 007

Two years ago I was at GenCon and was able to pick up copies of all but one of the sourcebooks. Very pleased to have backup copies of that game!

I have always thought that game was incredibly well done both in terms of the mechanics and the fluff. It simply rocks!
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Register