NEWS

Dice superstitions

• 234 Replies

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #210 on: <12-08-10/1021:02> »
Heh. Meat is murder. Murder is tasty and healthy. Be a mass murderer.*

* macdonalds and such do not use meat. Whatever that is, i won't touch it even with a 10-foot shock-stick.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #211 on: <12-08-10/1247:09> »
Heh, vegan is murder.  Anything that is eaten today was a living thing yesterday.

I fully support killing as a means of survival.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #212 on: <12-08-10/1440:44> »
Hippies and hipsters, two of my greatest hates.

CaptRory

• Newb
« Reply #213 on: <12-14-10/2158:33> »
Heh~ So I read this entire thread. For fifteen pages there's amazingly little on dice superstitions hehehehehe  :D

I don't reallyhave any dice superstitions. If I'm feeling especially superstitious I'll look through my clear jar of dice and pick out the ones that "Look/Feel Lucky" hehehe. But usually I grab whatever is on top.

Back when I first started GMing I got a pound off dice from RPGShop.com. I don't really have much in the way of matching sets of dice hehehe. But I do have an awful lot of everything but D4's.

Outrider45

« Reply #214 on: <12-30-10/1538:38> »
Well, one friend has been known to stop on the bridge crossing the Susquehanna river on his way home from a game. They sleeps with the fishes now. He's also been know to bring a hammer with him to games to make public demonstrations of problem dice.

FastJack, you can't forget that he also threatens the dice to not roll poorly, punishes them by keeping them in the freezer for a week before finally throwing them off the bridge into the river if the roll bad again. And people call me crazy.

Rascal

• Newb
« Reply #215 on: <01-03-11/1707:57> »
I have been able to prove my horrible dice-karma time and time again with one of my Shadowrun-groups. We all share the same great bag of D6:s, shuffling them round the table all the time, and I´m still the one getting all the glitches... But for some reason I roll better when GM:ing. Stupid dice.
"If you don´t stop driving through walls I´m going to start rolling for the van to explode - this is an American game!"

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #216 on: <01-03-11/1732:49> »
Same thing happens to me.  I roll much better for the GM characters than my own.  My gf on the other hand, rolls like crap all the time, but gets these occasional short-lived bouts of insanely good luck where she rolls all 6s all the time.  Go figure.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #217 on: <01-04-11/2218:58> »
At my table, I guess there is one superstition: if one former player, lets call him Jake, ever touches or borrows dice; forever cold they will go. So far, it's held up. He borrowed a D20 of mine without me knowing it. It was a reliable, if not spectacular roller, about 60-70% good rolls. He got a hold of it, and I was lucky to get over a 14. Nice of the rest of the group to let me know he used it BEFORE I had to tangle with the Ogre patrol....For the sake of my dice, I'm glad he's gone, but as a player and friend, I do miss him.

Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

The Laughing Man

• Newb
« Reply #218 on: <01-05-11/1250:12> »
I recently got two sets of the Pegasus Shadowrun Dice for Christmas.  ;D

The colors are cool and match the whole 20th anniversary color scheme.

http://www.amazon.com/134100-Pegasus-Shadowrun-Dice-Tin/dp/B002I61PJY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1294249279&sr=8-1-spell

TBH I haven't noticed a lack in high rolls or anything like that, despite what people say about symbols on die faces. In fact I almost TPK'd my group last week cause a string of ridiculous rolls where I inevitably had to enact "damage control".

It's much easier to tell hits and glitches apart now, which is especially helpful when you're GM'ing. Helps keep things moving along.

edit: And on the hippy note. Pot and SR actually make a great combination. As a GM it definitely gets my "what if" juices going. Plus a gaming circle makes a great smoking circle. ;D    ...wouldn't call myself a hippy though, the hippies failed a long time ago when they accepted LSD from the government, but that's another thread.  :P
« Last Edit: <01-05-11/1304:15> by The Laughing Man »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #219 on: <01-05-11/1259:23> »
Mmmm... yes, I picked those up for myself as an early Xmas present. I plan on keeping them out for anyone to use during the SR campaign I'm planning since there will be a lot of new/returning players.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #220 on: <01-06-11/0905:20> »
As I'm sure I mentioned earlier, I don't use rounded dice for d6 based games;  unless I need to roll low.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #221 on: <01-06-11/0906:44> »
Funny. I have the opposite effect with rounded d6! :)
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Morg

« Reply #222 on: <01-11-11/0924:01> »
My PCs don't let me touch their dice.
I did it only once and the next five rolls came up all ones on their DPs 

topcat

• Newb
« Reply #223 on: <01-24-11/1442:06> »
I don't know if I'd call it a superstition or not, but almost all of my dice now are transparent and precision-edged (mostly from GameScience).  I bought way too many opaque dice with air bubbles that allowed them to roll in something-less-than-random ways.  Never in a good way, either!  Sometimes it was terribly obvious, too, as the die would break like a curveball when rolled.  Just terrible luck there.  I'm not quite as bad on this with 4-siders and 6-siders, but I still prefer precision-edge dice for either.

Outsider

• Newb
« Reply #224 on: <02-17-11/1907:09> »
Hippies and hipsters, two of my greatest hates.

Hippies are okay when they bathe. LOL

Dice cause me a great deal of *PAIN* so I stopped caring. Now if I see some that just look cool I'll buy them and mix them with the rest of my dice. 
There are two things cheap in life. A plane ticket and piano wire.

V zhizne tolko dve veshi bivayut deshoviye: bilet na samolet i struna dla pianino.