NEWS

Opinions on the Corporate Guide

• 30 Replies

jonathanc

• Omae
  • All cruelty springs from weakness.
« on: <10-31-11/1825:35> »
I love buying new books, but I hate spending money to re-buy content that I already have. In this case, I already own Corporate Download, the Third edition corp book, and it has served me well. I'm thinking about the new Corporate Guide, but I'm wondering how much of it is repeat information. Obviously the stuff on Neonet and Horizon will be knew, but what about the stuff on older corps like Mitsuhama? Can anyone who owns the book (or better yet, who owns both) give me an opinion?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <10-31-11/1857:58> »
I think it is worth it. Not only does it update all the major players, it also give insight into a wageslave's life, plus information on up-and-coming corps, the Corporate Court, and how to run games where the runners are company (wo)men.

jonathanc

• Omae
  • All cruelty springs from weakness.
« Reply #2 on: <10-31-11/1902:10> »
Ah, so the corp info is all-new? That's cool. I've been kind of curious about Horizon for a while now (c'mon, there's something sinister going on in there, there just has to be) but I was considering just running the Horizon adventures instead as a way to learn more. Of course, part of me just loves following along with the story, which is why I'm considering picking up Emergence, even though my game has progressed past 2070 and I don't really think I want to run it ever since none of my players are interested in being a technomancer.

TL:DNR: I am a sucker :D

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <10-31-11/2012:43> »
Horizon is a tough nut to crack. Everything everyone seems to have dug up says that they really are exactly what they appear to be. A corp with an internal structure to make MC Escher proud, and a business philosophy built on social networking. And somehow, it works.

One reason I'd be willing to guess that there isn't any real nastiness going on (sure they play hardball in the business world, but they're no Mitsuhama, Saeder-Krupp, or Aztechnology) is their internal version of the P2.0 network. All it takes is one secretary letting it slip how you're into something unsavory, and you've gone from district VP to janitor. Of course, the Consensus could be used to direct all the shiny happy Horizon family to do unsavory things...
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <11-01-11/0056:48> »
Honestly, everyone is SCARED of Horizon and how squeaky clean it is.  That's how the Universal Brotherhood looked...  That's how AZT looks to the average sheeple on the street...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #5 on: <11-01-11/0226:56> »
I liked the sourcebook, but not as much as the ones from previous editions.

Argent

• Chummer
  • Doh! Wrong ammo clip!
« Reply #6 on: <11-03-11/0048:34> »
Honestly, everyone is SCARED of Horizon and how squeaky clean it is.  That's how the Universal Brotherhood looked...  That's how AZT looks to the average sheeple on the street...

Specifically the Dawkins Group has my team spooked.
Running the shadows since 1989.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #7 on: <11-03-11/0148:33> »

Specifically the Dawkins Group has my team spooked.

Well, every corp has a Dawkins Group in some form.  Shiawase's MFID, CATCo's Seraphim ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #8 on: <11-03-11/0214:06> »
Yeah, but the Dawkin's group has everything on Turbo Bunny except for her Cup Size!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #9 on: <11-03-11/0752:30> »
Yeah, but the Dawkin's group has everything on Turbo Bunny except for her Cup Size!
Proof that their operative was an amateur. :P

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #10 on: <11-03-11/1120:32> »
Proof that their operative was an amateur. :P
Or not an immature heterosexual/bisexual male or homosexual/bisexual woman.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #11 on: <11-03-11/1132:37> »
Nah, I like FJ's explanation better.... :D
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #12 on: <11-03-11/1832:43> »
The thing that separates the Dawkins Group from people like the Red Samurai, whoever MCT uses, etc. is that the Dawkins Group are primarily faces or social adepts, meaning they worm their way into your group without you ever knowing there's a problem until everything comes crashing down around your ears. Whereas with Red Samurai, you know to run, pure and simple.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #13 on: <11-03-11/2034:55> »
The thing that separates the Dawkins Group from people like the Red Samurai, whoever MCT uses, etc. is that the Dawkins Group are primarily faces or social adepts, meaning they worm their way into your group without you ever knowing there's a problem until everything comes crashing down around your ears. Whereas with Red Samurai, you know to run, pure and simple.

You think the other major -- AAA and AA -- corporations don't have some section, department, group, team, or however they want to phrase it that's just like this??  The Dawkins Group is the first one that's been brought so blatantly, in such a dire fashion, to the shadowrunning world, i.e. us readers.  I specifically didn't refer to the Red Samurai or that group of shamans that Ares has for a very important reason -- they're physical/magical threats.

Shiawase has the MFID; CATCo had the Seraphim (which, if I hadn't known any better, I would have suspected was the collaborative idea of Mssrs Sargent and Gasciogne).  Saeder-Krupp has Saeder-Krupp Prime.  Every megacorporation has something like this, some group or team that keeps an eye on what they consider threats or opportunities or tools, finds out all they can about them, and then files that information away until it becomes useful.  Hell, this is exactly what the 'Dossier On File' negative is all about -- someone's done their homework on you.

Don't think that just because this is the first one that's really, really been highlighted in the texts that the other corporations haven't been doing this all along...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Argent

• Chummer
  • Doh! Wrong ammo clip!
« Reply #14 on: <11-03-11/2336:31> »
The other corps probably have, however the Dawkins Group clearly positioned Horizon better for the crash than the other groups did for their respective corps. That in and of itself should say something about their influence.
Running the shadows since 1989.