NEWS

Best pistol in the game?

• 220 Replies

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <10-18-11/1438:50> »

I don't see where those modifiers are cumulative, since each modifier is called out as a modifier for a particular burst (see also the table on the same page).

They are cumulative within the same pass.

Quote from: FAQ
Snowblood is firing a submachine gun in burst fire mode (3 bullets per burst), with 3 points of recoil compensation. With her first Simple Action, she fires one short burst (-2 recoil modifier), but she has 3 points of recoil compensation, so the recoil modifier does not apply to her first roll.

On her second Simple Action, Snowblood fires a second short burst (-3 recoil modifier), which is cumulative with the recoil modifier from her first burst in the Action Phase, for a total recoil modifier of -5. With 3 points of recoil compensation, Snowblood suffers a -2 dice pool modifier due to recoil on her second roll.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #16 on: <10-18-11/1538:40> »
Ah, here it is:

Quote from: Anatomy of a Shadowrun, pp. 16-17
Kai-lin switches his Praetor to burst fire...His first shot is Automatics 4 + Agility 7 modified by +2 smartlink, –2 recoil, +2 recoil compensation for a dice pool of 13.  ...  Kai-lin’s second burst is Automatics 4 + Agility 7 plus modifiers (+2 smartlink, –5 recoil, +2 recoil compensation) for a dice pool of 10.

I trust the FAQ about as far as I can throw a troll, and I refuse to use it myself as a reference.  Call me an old-school academic... :)  But there's finally a printed reference.
« Last Edit: <10-18-11/1541:01> by Fringe »
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <10-18-11/1556:32> »
But there's finally a printed reference.
Whats wrong with the corebook?
Quote from: SR4A page 154(143 in non A version)
Slinger has an Uzi in hand, ready to fire a burst against the hit man that just took
out his friend. Slinger is rolling his Automatics 4 + Agility 5 (9 dice) against the
target’s Reaction 5. Though his recoil compensation of 2 accounts for the burst’s –2
recoil, he’s also facing some other modifiers (–3 total, for a dice pool of 6). Slinger
goes for a narrow burst, increasing the Uzi’s DV by +2. He rolls 3 hits, the target
rolls 2, so he hits. His net hit of 1 increases the DV of the Uzi from 5P to 6P, which
unfortunately doesn’t exceed the assassin’s armor rating of 6. That means the target
has to resist 8S DV (base DV 5 + 1 net hit + 2 narrow burst, Physical converted
to Stun by the armor).
With his next Simple Action, Slinger’s facing a lot of recoil, so he goes for a wide
burst. The extra –3 recoil reduces his dice pool to 3, so he only gets 1 hit. The
target’s dice pool suffers a –2 modifier from the wide burst and a further –1 from
defending against an attack since his last action. He rolls only 2 dice but gets 1 hit.
That’s a tie, so Slinger just misses hitting the guy with the second burst.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #18 on: <10-18-11/1615:06> »
Thanks for pointing that out...that's what I was missing.
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Tonatiuh

• Chummer
  • ¡Viva Aztlan!
« Reply #19 on: <10-18-11/1726:42> »
This is my first character I will actually go through with, develop 100% by myself, and play a whole storyline out with... Y'all just lost me. :P
Current campaign WIP.

jonathanc

• Omae
  • All cruelty springs from weakness.
« Reply #20 on: <10-18-11/1730:08> »
This is my first character I will actually go through with, develop 100% by myself, and play a whole storyline out with... Y'all just lost me. :P
Disregard thread, acquire Ares Predator IV ;)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #21 on: <10-18-11/1853:28> »
The fact that so many security guards have had Predators pulled on them for over 20-years that they're starting to get immune to the intimidation value of them?
The Predator has a built-in feature for dealing with that problem - the trigger. :)
+1 as well, I'll give you that one.

Although things do get loud when Mr. Predator IV starts talking in class.  ;)
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <10-18-11/1926:11> »
The fact that so many security guards have had Predators pulled on them for over 20-years that they're starting to get immune to the intimidation value of them?
The Predator has a built-in feature for dealing with that problem - the trigger. :)
+1 as well, I'll give you that one.

Although things do get loud when Mr. Predator IV starts talking in class.  ;)

That's when the Slivergun whispers in the back of the class that Mr. Predator IV called Ruger Hawk fat.

:P
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #23 on: <10-18-11/2126:17> »
And then the Colt Manhunter starts talking smack and about his proud grandpappy, the M1911, and then it gets really loud!  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Tonatiuh

• Chummer
  • ¡Viva Aztlan!
« Reply #24 on: <10-18-11/2233:47> »
Meanwhile, Troll Spellslinger. End of story. :P
Current campaign WIP.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <10-18-11/2233:54> »
And then the Colt Manhunter starts talking smack and about his proud grandpappy, the M1911, and then it gets really loud!  ;D

That's when the Teacher finally goes off.

Mrs. Panther doesn't like when the class is getting disruptive.... and all the troll's in the class room start to fantasize about their teacher.... :P
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #26 on: <10-19-11/0014:42> »

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Barskor

• Chummer
« Reply #27 on: <10-19-11/0021:21> »
Colt manhunter more bullets more fun same damage.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #28 on: <10-19-11/0028:25> »
Colt manhunter more bullets more fun same damage.
And no Smartgun link to hack.  :P

Advantages and disadvantages.  But as someone already posted, the weapon in your hand is the best weapon in the world.  It beats being unarmed.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #29 on: <10-19-11/0100:49> »
You know, if you're going for something to grip in one hand and hammer out gunfire while you're piloting your motorcycle, you might consider any number of SMGs instead.  HK 227-X is a classic look in that case...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.