NEWS

Anyone else have a problem with Infiltration?

• 88 Replies

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #60 on: <10-19-11/2124:00> »
I've often wondered why the whole "dress up as a guard" thing should work. Most of the places I've worked at, you hang out with the people on that shift before you start the shift, as you do same time every day/week/etc. If there's anyone new starting work, generally you hear about well in advance, etc., etc., etc.. Nothing major, just something I've often wondered about...
In all honesty it should only work with people that are not security.  Eventually it will catch on.

Even then it shouldn't.  My spouse works at the CDC, and she knows at least half a dozen of the guards by face and, in some cases, name -- and vice-versa.  You can Con your way past that for a little bit by saying, 'Oh, I just got transferred in from ... uh ... Germany!!' or something, but the next guard the person sees is going to hear 'hey, how's that new guy working out?'

[ Divers Alarums. ]

In the short term it might work, like maybe 10 minutes, that is unless they really do have a new guy that just started that night.

Oh believe me, I completely agree, but it would work in the short term,
Living the Electronic Dream

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #61 on: <10-20-11/0148:01> »
I suppose if you got your Hacker to edit the internal memos and stuff to corroborate and build some supporting evidence, but even then it's a long shot on a small tight facility. Even on a larger facility it's probably a long shot.

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #62 on: <10-20-11/0152:20> »
A long shot is all a runner needs to get in.  Getting out is harder.  That's where the fun is.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #63 on: <10-20-11/0157:16> »
A long shot is all a runner needs to get in.  Getting out is harder.  That's where the fun is.

I meant a long shot at even getting in. ;)

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #64 on: <10-20-11/1137:40> »
I've often wondered why the whole "dress up as a guard" thing should work. Most of the places I've worked at, you hang out with the people on that shift before you start the shift, as you do same time every day/week/etc. If there's anyone new starting work, generally you hear about well in advance, etc., etc., etc.. Nothing major, just something I've often wondered about...
In all honesty it should only work with people that are not security.  Eventually it will catch on.

Even then it shouldn't.  My spouse works at the CDC, and she knows at least half a dozen of the guards by face and, in some cases, name -- and vice-versa.  You can Con your way past that for a little bit by saying, 'Oh, I just got transferred in from ... uh ... Germany!!' or something, but the next guard the person sees is going to hear 'hey, how's that new guy working out?'

[ Divers Alarums. ]

In the short term it might work, like maybe 10 minutes, that is unless they really do have a new guy that just started that night.

Oh believe me, I completely agree, but it would work in the short term,

Yeah, but if there isn't a new guy, he becomes one and goes to get a fake SIN of a professional security man and gets himself hired to the very corporation he needs to bust into! Sure, it takes longer, but still....

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #65 on: <10-20-11/1421:12> »
I'm thinking the bigger places it would be slightly easier to fake it because not everyone knows probably everyone in a 100 story building. Another thing that might add to this is you usually don't want to bring attention to yourself by talking with security. (or most people don't i've noticed) You could probably walk up to someone in a police outfit and they'd treat you as if you were an officer out on the road. (unless you make it blatently obvious otherwise.)

It shouldn't be a get away with everything free card but I can see it working, just not overtly well.
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Elizara Dane

• Newb
  • Discreet negotiations and arbitrations by request
« Reply #66 on: <10-20-11/1735:16> »
The player in question slings about 12-14 dice, and most definitely does not cheat. It pisses me off, because i can watch him roll every time and there is no way he is cheating. You can hand him your own dice and they roll better for him than they do for you. Further, anyone who rolls against him has luck subtly shifted against them. I sling 26 dice against his 12 and score 4 hits, he scores 7. It is extremely frustrating, because every challenge I design for this infiltration expert results in him breezing through it. Also, he has Edge 6, and Zeench looks favorably on him when he decides to Edge something, granting him 12+ hits on most tests. And he sits right where i can see his every roll...Argh!

I have asked him not to run off and leave the party on it's own so often, but that is the only concession i have gotten from him. It is irritating to the extreme when I have to fiat just to get the story to stay on track and the super-important NPC does NOT die.

Tzeentch is a fickle god, he will never favor a single follower for long. Wait and the Changer of Ways will do the work for you.
My goal? Dear, my one goal is only the most noble goal of all...

A life of luxury, of course.

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #67 on: <10-20-11/1748:14> »
The player in question slings about 12-14 dice, and most definitely does not cheat. It pisses me off, because i can watch him roll every time and there is no way he is cheating. You can hand him your own dice and they roll better for him than they do for you. Further, anyone who rolls against him has luck subtly shifted against them. I sling 26 dice against his 12 and score 4 hits, he scores 7. It is extremely frustrating, because every challenge I design for this infiltration expert results in him breezing through it. Also, he has Edge 6, and Zeench looks favorably on him when he decides to Edge something, granting him 12+ hits on most tests. And he sits right where i can see his every roll...Argh!

I have asked him not to run off and leave the party on it's own so often, but that is the only concession i have gotten from him. It is irritating to the extreme when I have to fiat just to get the story to stay on track and the super-important NPC does NOT die.

Tzeentch is a fickle god, he will never favor a single follower for long. Wait and the Changer of Ways will do the work for you.

I would agree, but his characters tend to follow Khorne in most aspects.  He hasn't played a mage since '06

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #68 on: <10-20-11/1801:00> »
Not sure what you guys are qouting but there's a Reason my Rogue is a follower of Tymora. (Faerunian god)
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #69 on: <10-20-11/1820:03> »
Tzeentch, Khorne, Nurgle, and Slaanesh are the Chaos Gods in the Warhammer and Warhammer 40k Universe.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #70 on: <10-20-11/1844:06> »
Tzeentch, Khorne, Nurgle, and Slaanesh are the Chaos Gods in the Warhammer and Warhammer 40k Universe.

I keep hearing about that game but i'm not sure if I want to try it yet.... o.O'

You have any examples to compare it too?

I'm thinking this is the universe where metal poles "shoot" because goblin's believe they "can kill" and anything Red goes faster.... someone was telling me about a game like that. XD

Elizara Dane

• Newb
  • Discreet negotiations and arbitrations by request
« Reply #71 on: <10-20-11/1849:23> »
You people keep talking and all I'm reading is "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD" over and over again.

Tzeentch is one of the Chaos gods (BBEGs of Warhammer 40k) and he represents the vitality and volatility of change. All his actions center aroud plans that take thousands of years to fully pan out and even at their culmination they may not yet be complete. The OP mentioned that Tzeentch blessed the infiltration monkey and I pointed out that because Tzeentch is fickle he would probably only gift him fantastic rolls until it no longer suited him.

Edit: Its Orc that have that inbred psychic field that makes all their taped together equipement actually work and the power of their belief actuall makes red things go faster :P
« Last Edit: <10-20-11/1850:54> by Elizara Dane »
My goal? Dear, my one goal is only the most noble goal of all...

A life of luxury, of course.

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #72 on: <10-20-11/1935:02> »
I play myself.  I'll PM you about the game and where to check it out.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #73 on: <10-20-11/1950:57> »
Word. Thanks

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #74 on: <10-20-11/2027:18> »
Never played 40K -- always too busy playing real Warhammer, WHFRP.  The fantasy game in which every character, no matter how mighty, sweats while waiting outside the city gates while five nervous guys with crossbows keep them pointed at the character -- because one of them might get very lucky, and Kill You Dead.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.