NEWS

D & D races

• 12 Replies

srgsng25

• Newb
« on: <11-10-11/1336:54> »
i have had a question brought up by a few new players asking if they could bring halflings or other races what the general option in this has anyone have house rules pertaining to this that i can see and adapt to

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <11-10-11/1339:30> »
Runner's Companion has rules for Metavarients.  Gnomes are pretty much similar to Halflings.

What else do they want?  Ain't no such thing as a half-ork.  Although if a Human and an Ork love each other very much, you might get an Ork and a Human who are siblings.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-10-11/1352:01> »
Runner's Companion has rules for Metavarients.  Gnomes are pretty much similar to Halflings.

What else do they want?  Ain't no such thing as a half-ork.  Although if a Human and an Ork love each other very much, you might get an Ork and a Human who are siblings.  ;D

Or they might get an Elf or a troll....

or a human that transforms into an Elf around puberty.

Key thing to remember i think if I read the history in SR4A told by Fastjack is that just because you have 2 orks or humans mate with eacother or an elf and a troll mate with eachother the results don't necessarily follow... what's the word i'm looking for here? Genetics? Not quite sure that's the word i was looking for.

Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

The Cat

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <11-10-11/1357:43> »
Shadowrun seems to view its PC races as burgeoning "ring species."  For the most part they can all interbreed.  I would assume there are some that CAN interbreed genetically speaking but it's extremely rare to do so naturally due to some physical reason, like a Dwarf and a Troll.  There's no "gene mixing" with each set of sequences being exclusive in expression and no one in particular apparently being a dominant set (they express in a dominant way, but the Troll sequence isn't dominant over the Human sequence unless the trate that controls dominant expression doesn't have anything to do with the racial sequence), meaning no "half-whatevers" in existence.

Trolls and Orcs can "express" (via goblinization) or be naturally born as a Troll or an Orc.  Elves and Dwarves are "born that way" and have never been said to "goblinize" later in life into an Elf or a Dwarf.  That tends to suppor the "early stages of a ring species" idea in that there's three "distinct" branches of humanity, Full Humans, Natural Born Variants and Converted Variants all requiring distinctly different generic expressions at different points in their lifetimes.

As the previous post said most D&D races can be simulated with the metavariants and SURGE effects if they're not already "in the book" as desired.  Outside of those, you can tinker around with mixing and mathcing existing variants and SURGE qualities and get just baout anything else.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-10-11/1403:29> »
Shadowrun seems to view its PC races as burgeoning "ring species."  For the most part they can all interbreed.  I would assume there are some that CAN interbreed genetically speaking but it's extremely rare to do so naturally due to some physical reason, like a Dwarf and a Troll.  There's no "gene mixing" with each set of sequences being exclusive in expression and no one in particular apparently being a dominant set (they express in a dominant way, but the Troll sequence isn't dominant over the Human sequence unless the trate that controls dominant expression doesn't have anything to do with the racial sequence), meaning no "half-whatevers" in existence.

Trolls and Orcs can "express" (via goblinization) or be naturally born as a Troll or an Orc.  Elves and Dwarves are "born that way" and have never been said to "goblinize" later in life into an Elf or a Dwarf.  That tends to suppor the "early stages of a ring species" idea in that there's three "distinct" branches of humanity, Full Humans, Natural Born Variants and Converted Variants all requiring distinctly different generic expressions at different points in their lifetimes.

As the previous post said most D&D races can be simulated with the metavariants and SURGE effects if they're not already "in the book" as desired.  Outside of those, you can tinker around with mixing and mathcing existing variants and SURGE qualities and get just baout anything else.

Elves and Dwarf's are born that way eh? Interesting.... did not know this...
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

srgsng25

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <11-10-11/1406:40> »
they are hinting at a kinder LOL i already said sure i need more gun fodder or comic relief in a bar scene

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #6 on: <11-10-11/1407:34> »

Or they might get an Elf or a troll....

or a human that transforms into an Elf around puberty.

Key thing to remember i think if I read the history in SR4A told by Fastjack is that just because you have 2 orks or humans mate with eacother or an elf and a troll mate with eachother the results don't necessarily follow... what's the word i'm looking for here? Genetics? Not quite sure that's the word i was looking for.
Actually, genetics runs pretty true (and this has been true from 1st Edition on):

Quote from: SR4A, p. 71
In 2072, most metahumans are born to parents of the same metatype. In the case of mixed parents, the child has a roughly even chance of being born as the metatype of either the father or the mother. There are no “half-breeds” in the Sixth World—no elf-orks or dwarf-trolls, no matter how amusing the concept may be.

The Cat

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <11-10-11/1439:06> »

Elves and Dwarf's are born that way eh? Interesting.... did not know this...

"These days" (IE the 2070s) it seems that Orcs and Trolls are "born that way" as well to Orc and Troll parents.  I'm not sure if it's ever been said that goblinization doens't still happen, but given the short average lifespan of the "first generation" trolls and to a lesser extend orcs (theirs always seemed to me to be social short timers rather than something genetic) it's conceviable that the vast majority of living trolls and a high percentage of orcs are now "natural born" with a few "old timer goblins" floating around and some freshly goblinized ones in the mix.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <11-10-11/1449:40> »

.....  ;D

SR Gnomes are totally different from Halflings !
I'm playing Hobbits in Shadowrun Since SR3
and for me they're no Metavariant but their own Metarace(homo Sapiens Hobbitiensis)

with a Dance in the Shires
Medicineman
« Last Edit: <11-10-11/1451:18> by Medicineman »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <11-10-11/1738:08> »
Goblinazation would extend their lifespan though wouldn't it? 10 years as a human and then what was it.... 40 years for a troll? Man they don't get very long to live, i'd already be halfway through my life if that was the limit. xD

I'm sure fastjack might already keeling over... xD I kid.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #10 on: <11-10-11/1739:46> »
Goblinized Metahumans live a Human life span.  On the downside, Goblinization is a downright painful process that breaks the minds of some of the people that undergo it.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <11-10-11/1750:24> »
Goblinized Metahumans live a Human life span.  On the downside, Goblinization is a downright painful process that breaks the minds of some of the people that undergo it.

No pain no gain. :P

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #12 on: <11-10-11/2218:47> »
still looking for that irish elf that goblinized to a formorian.
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!